KalseboKate
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 19
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Kalsebo
Laminate "floating" floor under range?

Hi all,

We are installing a "click" type floating laminate flooring over 1/4" underlayment. We are not supposed to put it under anything that is "fixed" in place - like a cabinet - but we are supposed to put it under things that can move around, such as the fridge.

So, do I put it under the range or not? The range is connected to a flexible pipe but not screwed in like the dishwasher will be.

We are getting to the point of fetching the range from the garage so that we can get the cabinets in their proper places to either side. Once we do that, we can get them fully installed and get the templating done for the granite. I don't want to rake it back and forth across the edge of the flooring if we need to pull it in and out for the electrician and the plumber. HOWEVER, I need to get all of the flooring done earlier than planned if it goes under the range.

We will be calling the electrician to finish up the electrical early next week. We are also calling the plumber in next week, very possibly to (gasp!) install the range when he does all the prep work for the sink and the dishwasher and the refrigerator lines. (I can taste those popovers ... the chicken parmasean ... the counterspace to make bread ... can it be almost real?)

Thanks,
Kate

Share |

KalseboKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 11th, 08, 9:16 am  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,751
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Re: Laminate "floating" floor under range?

when they say not under cabinets, but under stuff which can move around they normally mean free standing ranges (not slide in though i still would), fridge and often the dishwasher.
The reasoning is not based upon affixed or not affixed per se, it's based upon the fact that people often have to change out appliances before they change out cabinets and getting said appliances out is easier if you don't have to bump them out over the lip of flooring (building yourself in)... plus it just looks nicer

hth

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 08, 9:30 am  
IKEA FAN

According to the installation instructions, the reason it isn't supposed to go under "installed" stuff is because it needs to expand and contract with weather conditions. If something is nailed down (like the cabinets are to the wall), they won't move with the floor when the weather goes from cold and dry to hot and muggy. That means the floor will buckle and warp.

I guess I want to know if the range is too constrained to float with the floor.

Thanks for the tip.

Share |
Old Jan 11th, 08, 10:48 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,740
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

Think of your range as a large heavy piece of furniture...like a recliner, maybe. You'd put the recliner on the floor, so you can put your range on the floor. You do pull your range out once a year to clean under it, right?

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 08, 12:10 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 42,994
Gallery: 88
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
You do pull your range out once a year to clean under it, right?
BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I will fully admit to never, ever having moved my range or my fridge to clean under them. You can't see it. It's not there.

Kristen

Share |
kisaacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 08, 12:24 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,751
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

Kate, I'm fully aware of the expand/contract reasoning, I don't tend to agree with it, though always follow manufacturer instructions. Even with that reasoning i'll stand by my previous explanation (and say that if it's a slide in range don't do it) and eva's example.
but that's just my opinion.

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 08, 2:07 pm  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaPerconti View Post
You do pull your range out once a year to clean under it, right?
More like twice a year, but that depends on how many chipmunks and mice arrive alive via the feline jaws of death.

They always seem to run under there right away!

Share |
Old Jan 11th, 08, 2:34 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,740
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

Great, Kate...then you'll definitely want to run your flooring under your range. And fridge.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 08, 2:41 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 432
Gallery: 59
My IKEA: Canada-Ottawa
Doorstyle: Liljestad

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

If your fridge and range have wheels on the bottoms, as most do, that will allow the floor to shift a bit over time. Go for it.

Share |
_mike_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 08, 8:56 am  
IKEA FAN

We already ran the flooring under the fridge - in fact, that's the only area that has flooring right now!

Last night I looked at the understove area. I realized that one reason I was not going to put the laminate there is because the extension pipe, just above the floor, divides the space. It would be a headache creating all these special pieces to fit around it, or have something go wrong and bolix up the entire floor.

So here is my concept for flooring under the stove AND the dishwasher. When we replaced the flooring in a bath with urethane tile, we bought a case of the tile. For some reason, buying twice as much as we needed was cheaper than buying as much as we needed.

I will take the remainder, assuming it is still good since 2002, an use it to build aprons under the stove and dishwasher. It is a little thinner, but it will protect the underlayment and make for less of a lip to jump over. It will also be easier to work around the utility lines in both spaces with that material. (I may not do the dishwasher area if I see that it would make it too tall to install relative to the adjacent cabinet and panel, which are on the underlayment.

Thanks for all the thoughts and input!
-Kate

Best of all: it is free!

Share |

Comment