LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 5th, 08, 5:04 pm   #1
robbiegregg
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Is it possible to buy "Ikea" type screws and fittings?

Hi all

I would like to make modifications to some Ikea furniture I got and need to get my hands on some "Ikea style" screws and attachments such as those nifty screw grabber things which you turn 180 degrees with a screw driver to firmly attach to a screw from beneath (I think it is part 106792 for the screw grabber and part 112996 for the screw itself in some of the Ikea instruction manuals).

(part 112996 is the screw circled and labeled as B in the following image:
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blo.../IKEA%202b.jpg)

Does anyone out there know whether it is possible to buy Ikea screws and attachments on their own? Or alternatively does anyone know of a company who makes similar "Ikea style" screws and attachments?

Thanks

Robbie

Share |

robbiegregg is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 5th, 08, 5:20 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
Re: Is it possible to buy "Ikea" type screws and fittings?

You can get the cam locks and cam screws at a regular hardware store, but it's much cheaper to get it from Ikea. Just ask at the customer service counter ... for a few pieces, they might not even charge anything. Otherwise, it's typically 5 or 10 cents a piece.

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.
Narf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 08, 5:21 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

If you take the pieces you want into a full service hardware store they should be able to help you. These would be the local store not the big boxes. I have had luck in many parts of the country in Ace Stores. They might have to order them in. Or they may stock similar items but they will be inches not metric.

Most Lowes have similar hardware. And finally how many do you need? If just a few - Ikea stores have bins of small parts in the order pulling area that are just there for the taking.

Share |
Ikea in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 08, 3:58 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 188
Gallery: 37
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: Faktum/Applad White

If you want to use the IKEA cam locks, you need a15mm drill bit for the hole cam lock sits in. This is the case in Europe, I don't know if in US IKEA uses the same metric hardware.

Share |
Sadun Anik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 08, 2:21 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 90
Doorstyle: Applad/Stat

Lee Valley Tools carries these types of connectors, and much more besides....careful, it's hard not to spend lots there!

see here: Knock-Down Fittings - Lee Valley Tools

Share |
ourmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment