LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 2nd, 06, 8:52 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!
I figured the Habitat route wouldn't work for me, since the local store that does this is overloaded with 80's oak. Probably should have asked. Instead, I moved the microwave cab and a drawer baseto the kids' downstairs kitchenette. Everything else I removed and put on Craigslist for free (sink, instant hot, the whole shebang). Response completely shocked me.

My advice, if you give them away, is to not let people cherry pick, or you'll get stuck with wall oven cabinets and corner units that people tend not to want.Everyone wanted the uppers for their laundry rooms or something. Realizing this, I stopped breaking up the set after the first 50 calls or so. My deal with the guy who wanted most things, but not all,was that I would spend a few days offering the remainders to other people, but he had to clear out everything else by a certain date. He lived up to the bargain, and I was able to give some of the oddball cabinets to others, so it worked out well.

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 06, 9:00 pm  
B
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 400
Gallery: 26
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Coincidentally, I asked our contractor about this the other day when we met with him. (I asked if they could do a "careful" demo, so that we could donate the cabinets.)

As you probably, guessed, he laughedright in my face:shock:- not quite mockingly, but almost! Apparently, we are really strong contenders for the worst kitchen contest, and ain't nobody out there who would want our cabinets - even for free :?!

I wonder if, in 30 years or so, DH and I will be the dreaded "previous owners who did #$%* to this otherwise fabulous kitchen" that we all complain about on a regular basis around here! I hope Susan will rise to our defense when that time comes!

Share |
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 06, 7:38 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,680
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
B, around here if you put anything out at the curb on a Friday (yard sale day) with a big "FREE" sign, it will be gone within minutes. Even junk!

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 06, 8:41 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 90
Gallery: 0
Doorstyle: Applad/Stat
The same holds true here, Eva. Anything we don't want, we put out on Sat or Sun. What doesn't get picked up on the weekend gets picked up by a 'collector' who goes around with his van in the wee hours on Monday morning (our garbage collection day).

Martine

Share |
ourmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 06, 9:03 am  
B
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 400
Gallery: 26
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Well, around here,I had aneighbor-friend who put a sign out that said, "FREE." No takers for a week. She changed the sign to "$50," andthe desk and suchwere gone by morning. Interesting psychological experiment, no? :shock:

Share |
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 06, 11:04 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 1,721
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park
Doorstyle: white painted tidaholm
I have two sets. The first are metal cabinets circa 1960 in lime green. I put those in FreeCycle and someone picked them up to use them in his garage. The other set (once they come off the walls) will go to Habitat - they say they will come get them if I give them a week's notice.

Share |
Old Nov 3rd, 06, 12:41 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 90
Doorstyle: Applad/Stat
kate1234 wrote:
Quote:
...cut, snip...metal cabinets circa 1960 in lime green...
Can't imagine why you didn't keep those, they sound lovely.
Martine

Share |
ourmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 06, 1:06 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 2,209
Gallery: 10
Another great way to get rid of usable items you just don't want at your house is FREECYCLE. It is an organization dedicated to keeping stuff out of landfills.

Go to http://freecycle.org/to learn more.

Or, you can subscribe to the FREECYCLE list in your area by going to http://groups.yahoo.com/and typing in "freecycle" and your city's name or county name.

You wouldn't believe the stuff people post - unused shampoo, used greeting cards, boxes of misc. stuff (grab bag style).

I posted a bunch of furniture on there and everyone who came to pick it up were terrific people. Within 24 hours the house was cleaned out.

Share |
TheRedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 06, 3:14 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,680
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
The Freecycle people around here are just plain scary. I got to the point where I didn't do it anymore because I didn't want to give my address out to them! So, YMMV .

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 06, 1:30 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 290
we gave away our DW on freecycle and also most of our cabinets. At first I thought of having them help us take them down, but soon threw out that idea. We had them on the back patio and the family came and got them as we were finished with a certain portion.

Share |
Mariposita is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Subscribe to IKEA News in Your Inbox:

Email:

Featured Kitchen Contractors

Recent Directory Listings

• iKitchens, Etc.
    We are the premier IKEA Kitchen Installer in Massachusetts. Our company offers complete in-house design service followed by an impeccable installation.
  • Semihandmade
    Custom. IKEA. Doors. The idea for Semihandmade came from a desire to offer the same craftsmanship we produce in our Los Angeles-based Handmade studio to a wider audience, at a lower price.
  • Our House, LLC
    Our House ‘takes the pain’ out of the design and installation process by providing hassle-free service every step of the way. Serving CT and the greater NYC area.
Help an IKEAFAN - Find Threads with Zero Replies