LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Aug 22nd, 12, 3:53 pm   #1
Randmness
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,271
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park
Horizontal plumbing and Domsjo single sink installation.

First, let me preface by saying that this forum has been extremely helpful. My wife and I (mostly me lol ) are in the process of replacing our antiquated cabinets and counter-tops. After much wrestling with the wall cabinets and a heavy corner cabinet, we are finally getting ready to tackle the last remaining cabinets around the sink.

We have standard size cabinets now, and are aiming to replace them with same size Ikea cabinets. At this point, I kind of feel we could put together any cabinet that Ikea may throw our way, but the next "battle" seems to be with the sink, or better yet it's replacement. We were planning to replace our sink with the Domsjo single sink, but aren't sure if this is possible anymore due to a horizontal plumbing pipe (not sure what it does to as of yet.) I'm not entirely sure how much clearance the back of the sink has against the wall, and was wondering if anyone had a similiar issue?

I'll try to upload some pictures later this evening.

Share |

Randmness is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Aug 22nd, 12, 10:05 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,570
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Horizontal plumbing and Domsjo single sink installation.

pictures, yes. Usually the only thing that runs horizontally INSIDE a cabinet would be the pipe that connects the sink trap to the waste pipe in the wall.
If the new sink is deeper than the old, you may need to open the wall up and remove and replace the waste outlet so that it is lower. That horizontal bit of pipe described above needs to be higher at the trap connection than where it enters the wall so that the sink will drain properly. I think the code requirement is 1/4" per foot, so it's really not much, but necessary none the less.

Share |
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 9:11 am  
IKEA FAN

Wow splatgirl, thanks for the info.

I haven't quite figured out what this drainage pipe is for. I think it may be for the washer (in an adjacent room), but I wont know until this weekend when I pull all the cabinets out.

This horizontal pipe actually runs through the base cabinets (on this side of the wall), and into the sink cabinet, where it connects with the sink drainage. My concern right now, is that there isn't enough clearance (on the back left side) of the Domjso sink to clear this under-sink pipe. I'm guessing I will have to lower it maybe 5-6", but I wanted to get some additional thoughts before I call a plumber.

I have included a few pictures. I'll try to get better ones tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120823_081004.jpg (2.14 MB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20120823_093732.jpg (1.83 MB, 31 views)

Share |
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 5:26 pm  
IKEA addict
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 33,835
Gallery: 21
Doorstyle: Adel MB, Birch and Stainless

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!

I think your guess regarding the washing machine is probably right. In that case, you are going to have to notch or drill all the new cabinets the same way as the old ones. And based on your picture, I don't think the Domsjo sink will fit.

Share |
ikitchensetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 5:54 pm  

LBG Adoptions

Does it go into the floor there where it turns vertical?

It looks like you'll need to cut and remove this wonderful piece of plumbing to get the existing cabinets out, yes? In that case, it seems like a no brainer to me that you'd put back or hire it put back together in a manner that suits your project and the sink you want. Please don't let a stupid, questionably-not-to-code-anyway-looking waste line disrupt your entire plan and cause you to go chopping up brand new cabinets. It's just PVC and downward slopes, not rocket science. Regular folks do have the ability to understand and modify this situation successfully.

Obviously calling a plumber is one way to go, though, too.

Share |
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 6:42 pm  
IKEA FAN

The pipe does in fact turn and go into the floor.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'm going to investigate a little more and see how I can move things around. If anyone is interested, I've also added some better pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120823_191618.jpg (75.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20120823_191515.jpg (69.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20120823_191600.jpg (69.3 KB, 37 views)

Share |
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 6:57 pm  

LBG Adoptions

Wow. That is kind of nuts.
For whatever it's worth, I'm pretty sure what you've got isn't to code based on a guesstimate of the distance of the run. There is supposed to be a vent within 36", and if there was access to vent the line wouldn't have been brought over to your sink waste line in the first place. It's not a huge deal, but if you call a plumber they're probably going to tell you that needs to be changed.
OTOH , I have seen just as crazy stuff done by a plumber.

A DIYer might not worry too much and just cut the line where it exits the wall in the corner cabinet and splice/replace the whole thing as it but with a steeper pitch when you've got your new cabinets in place.

Is that a dishwasher on the other leg of the corner? Where does that discharge to? nevermind. looks like the DW is to the right of the sink?

Share |
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 7:11 pm  
IKEA FAN

You are right. The DW is to the right of the sink. In the 2nd picture, you can see the overflow valve going up to the sink, and coming back down. I imagine that with the Domjso sink, I would either have to drill a hole for this valve, or connect it to the disposal? We don't use the DW (all of the kitchen appliances and cabinets are over 20 years old), and will be replaced with a newer model.

Share |
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 7:21 pm  

LBG Adoptions

That is called an air gap and it's not a requirement everywhere. I presume since you have one it must be, or at least was at the time. I would double check that before deciding what to do about it. If you do in fact still need it, I would put the hole for it in a countertop vs. trying to drill the sink. Or, if your new appliances come with installation, let them worry about it.
Your local building department would be able to advise. Or, of course, google.

My DW discharges into the disposal chamber which is pretty common. If you look at your disposal you might even see the nubbin on the side where that connection is intended to be made.
I'm pretty sure all new disposals would have it.

Share |
Old Aug 23rd, 12, 8:50 pm  
IKEA addict
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 33,835
Gallery: 21
Doorstyle: Adel MB, Birch and Stainless

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!

I would recommend you bring in a licensed plumber to clean up this whole mess. If you have a basement or crawl space, it is a lot easier to bring the washer drain to the basement and deal with it from there. The dishwasher connection to the PVC looks like a total hack job to me. A big red flag is that there is purple PVC primer slopped all all over the pipes. No professional plumber would ever do that!

Share |
ikitchensetc is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment