Go Back   IKEA FANS > Welcome to IKEAFANS > Got Questions?
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Oct 11th, 07, 1:00 am   #1
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
Question Numerar Beech and Behandla - tacky finish

Hi

it has been 4 months now since I treated my new bench tops with Behandla wood treatment oil. I have given it three coats, each time leaving it longer than suggested to get good penetration and then buffing off what was left. I think this approach has caused me a problem - the tops are now tracky. I suspect this is because I have a thick layer of dried preservative sitting on top of the wood. Does anyone know how to remove this, preferably with a solvent? Scraping or sanding may also work. Also, does anyone have any experience with using petroleum jelly as a surface conditioner?
Thanks
Duncan

Share |
Old Oct 13th, 07, 10:47 am   #2
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!
Re: Numerar Beech and Behandla - tacky finish

Hi Dunc C and Welcome to IKEAFANS!

Humn, I would shy away from solvents, but the light- and I do mean light- sanding might work well. Now that said, maybe you just need to keep going- the following thread mentioned like 10 coats- and do it much lighter each time...

Maintaining Wood Countertops

And here's an article that might be of use.

Butcherblock Counters - Finish Options

HTH !

Kelly

Share |
Old Oct 13th, 07, 11:18 am   #3

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!
Re: Numerar Beech and Behandla - tacky finish

I do not think you should just keep going. Once you get that tackyness, you've got to get rid of it: it's just sitting on top getting gross. We had the same thing happen to one of our sections with Behandla. Getting it warm helped us rub it off--I'd suggest a blow dryer on low. A few places had to be scratched very gently to get the rest off (use fingernails, plastic spatula--something like that). Sanding was impossible: the tacky stuff clogs the sanding surface very quickly. Afterwards we went back to the lighter layers rubbed down within spec times and the counter was much better!

FYI , recently I tried using a blow dryer to speed my way thru refinishing a "patched" area (I think we got balsamic vinegar on the counter--eek!). I warmed the area, then rubbed in the Behandla, then warmed it more. I wiped it, but there wasn't much to wipe off--it soaked right in. I used a low setting and didn't get anything really hot--just nicely warm.

Every few months you'll want to clean the counter really well (just a little slightly soapy water), let it dry, then add another layer or two of Behandla. It really refreshes that great look!

Share |