Go Back   IKEA FANS > Welcome to IKEAFANS > Got Questions?
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 5th, 07, 1:38 pm   #1
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Glue or no glue? If so, what kind?

OK...so we just got a zillion boxes, hardware, etc. for our "new kitchen". First order of business...assembly. To glue, or not to glue...that is the question. If glue, what kind...white? carpenter's? etc. Will the cabinets hold together well without glue? I'd love to hear from people who have done it either way. Thanks!

Share |
Old Dec 5th, 07, 2:17 pm   #2
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 7

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Re: Glue or no glue? If so, what kind?

You can read some of the related threads at the bottom of this page, but most seem to think that glue is not needed. You can glue if you want, but it will cause difficulty if you need to disassemble a cabinet.

I used a little glue on the hinge-hole filler plugs for my base pull-out doors.

-CC

Share |
Old Dec 8th, 07, 10:11 am   #3
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 229
Gallery: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpeople View Post
OK...so we just got a zillion boxes, hardware, etc. for our "new kitchen". First order of business...assembly. !
Welcome to the family.
Actually, your first order of business should have been to check in here long ago, long before placing your order. But that damage is done so get comfortable with the site's search feature. You can bet there's not much you're going to encounter that hasn't been extensively discussed and solved several different ways.

Gluing Ikea cabinets is a waste of time and energy. If you look carefully at the cam-lock joining system, you will see there's no practical way to improve on the mechanical compression with glue since few of the contacts include exposed wood on both edges; there's nothing for glue to bond with.

david boise ID

Share |
Old Dec 8th, 07, 10:15 am   #4
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

Well, it's nice to know that David values IKEAFANS so much!

Sugarpeople- I'm sure your kitchen is going to look fabulous! I hope you'll share some photos and stories on how it goes- we're TKO !!

I agree that glue is not needed to assemble the cabinets.

Welcome to IKEAFANS- we're thrilled to have you!

Kelly

Share |
Old Dec 8th, 07, 10:56 am   #5
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

and just a comment, i didn't find ikeafans until AFTER i had placed my order, assembled my cabs and installed my kitchen.... it's still standing, no damage done. you'll be fine! and you found us at a pivotal time, before installation is still a great time to decide on modifications if you like.

Share |
Old Dec 11th, 07, 8:23 am   #6
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Thanks to all. We've just about got all our cabinets assembled (no glue!) and I think it went well. We'll keep you posted.

Share |

Tags
tko