Go Back   IKEA FANS > Welcome to IKEAFANS > Got Questions?
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Mar 14th, 08, 11:52 am   #1
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-San Diego
Exclamation Aggravating Ikea Shelf Liners

Hi-we just put in an Ikea kitchen(which we love) and I bought the rolls of plastic bumpy shelf liners that they use in their sample kitchens. Well, they are about to drive me crazy! Does ANYONE know how to make them stop rolling up? No matter how long I put heavy things on them, as soon as I take those things off they roll up on the edges-sometimes all the way back into their original rolled up shape! It's literally driving me batty. At Ikea they all looked perfectly flat in the drawers and on the shelves, but mine are all wave because they just keep wanting to roll up.

Please help!

Share |
Old Mar 14th, 08, 12:30 pm   #2
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 43,014
Gallery: 88
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

Re: Aggravating Ikea Shelf Liners

maybe flip them over? So they want to curl toward the bottom of the drawer/shelf? Then put the stuff on them. Over time they should flatten out.

Kristen

Share |
Old Mar 14th, 08, 12:34 pm   #3
IKEA FAN

They're flipped. I guess maybe I just have to be patient and wait for them to uncurl with time. Sigh...but everything else is looking so nice! ;-)

Share |
Old Mar 14th, 08, 12:40 pm   #4
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 43,014
Gallery: 88
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

You could try rolling them the opposite way and holding them that way with a rubber band in the hopes of reversing the memory sooner. Other than that, I think it's a waiting game!

Kristen

Share |
Old Mar 14th, 08, 12:44 pm   #5
IKEA FAN

;-) Yup, tried that too! Guess I'll just be working on my patience!

Share |
Old Mar 14th, 08, 1:20 pm   #6
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,382
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Two things I can think of, given that thay are already flipped are:

Hair drier to get the plastic hot enough to lose it's "Memory". I'd test that on a scrap before using it on the ones that are already cut to fit!

Small dabs of a clear silicon calk to hold the recalcitrant parts down?

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Old Mar 14th, 08, 1:24 pm   #7
IKEA FAN

Both interesting ideas! I have plenty of scrap pieces so I might try the hair dryer thing tonight. I was also thinking of trying doublesided tape!
thank you James!

Share |
Old Mar 14th, 08, 2:33 pm   #8
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,570
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

NONOONO!!
Take the wrapper off and unroll into a sink full of hot water. Just let it sit for a minute or two and voila!! Lay it flat to dry. No more curl.

p.s. I tried double stick tape before I resorted to this method and it didn't stick for very long.

Share |
Old Mar 14th, 08, 2:36 pm   #9
IKEA FAN

oooh!! I am definitely going to try that tonight! Thanks for the heads up about the doublesided tape-I had my doubts about its strength considering how badly these shelf liners want to roll up!

I'll let you guys know if I get my liners flat!

Share |
Old Mar 14th, 08, 3:25 pm   #10
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,382
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

Yea splatgirl! Sounds like the best idea yet.... I figured heat would be the answer to releasing the "memory" that many plastics have, I have to admit the sink of hot water approach is more... ahh... Kitchen appropriate?

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources