Go Back   IKEA FANS > Welcome to IKEAFANS > Got Questions?
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Aug 16th, 06, 12:35 am   #1
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-New York:Elizabeth
Hello All!

I absolutely love all the friendly and useful advice on this forum! I have a few questions (and hopefully I'll be able to contribute some wisdom after I've completed this do-it yourself crusade). My first question:

I've boxed in my refrigerator by 2 pull-out pantries (HPO1588) and a refrigerator wall cabinet (WRD3624). There's probably less than a 1/4 inch space above and to the left/right of the fridge. I'm worried about whether the refrigerator needs more room for ventilation, and if there's any danger of overheating. What do you think?

Thanks!

Share |
Old Aug 16th, 06, 12:53 am   #2
IKEA addict

My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Stat
Welcome to the forums!

Check the specs for your specific refrigerator model. If you can't find them in the owner's manual, then call the manufacturer. Different refrigerators vary in the amount of space needed for ventilation, and while some people just jam them in regardless of the manufacturer's recommendations, doing so means risking shortening the life of your refrigerator. The good news is, if you need more space above the refrigerator, you can cut down the cabinet over the fridge to 18" high and exchange your 24" high doors for 18" doors (if that leaves a gap that's too big, you can add some trim that would leave ventilation space while still looking pretty).

Also keep in mind that, in addition to ventilation space, some fridges need space on the sides for the doors to function properly -- particularly if you want the doors to open far enough that you can pull out the vegetable bins for cleaning. Again, the fridge manufacturer should be able to tell you how much space is needed.

Jen

Share |
Old Aug 16th, 06, 2:06 am   #3
IKEA FAN

I hadn't even thought about access to the vegatable bins... thanks Jen! We had purchased an LG counter-depth refrigerator as an in-store demo model for a discount - so it didn't come with instructions. I just checked around online and found some LG specs that seem to suggest that all my fridge needs is an 1/8" on the sides and 1" on top. Looks like we'll be alright on the sides, but coming up short up above (I think there's about a 1/2-3/4" free space on top).

Much thanks!

Share |
Old Aug 16th, 06, 9:11 am   #4
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Make sure that you are very diligent about the regular maintenance of the coils if you're cutting the ventilation specs close...it will make a big difference in the operating efficiency of your fridge.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
Old Aug 16th, 06, 9:15 am   #5
IKEA holic

iKarma: 90
Maintenance of the coils? I think that may be one of those odd gaps in my domestic knowledge. Does that mean I have to pull my fridge out on a regular basis and do something to it? Just clean them?

Share |
Old Aug 16th, 06, 10:17 am   #6
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
You have to vacuum the coils to keep them free of dust. Some coils are on the back, some are on the bottom, check the manual for maintenance procedures. Dust makes them work harder.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
Old Aug 16th, 06, 10:16 pm   #7
IKEA FAN

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely remember to keep the coils free of dust. Still, I am a bit worried about the 1/2-3/4" clearance above the fridge... hopefully that'll be adequate for ventilation.

Share |
Old Aug 16th, 06, 11:24 pm   #8
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
thank you for this thread. i was in denial about my clearance so this thread prompted me to download my manual and look it up. whew! i only need 1/2 in on top and in the back. good news for me since i have an inch on top and 1/2 on left and right.

anyway, just wanted to say thanks
~Dulci

Share |
Old Aug 17th, 06, 8:55 am   #9
IKEA holic

iKarma: 90
What a relief to hear that maintenance of the coils is just cleaning. That I already do.

Share |
Old Aug 17th, 06, 10:25 am   #10
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 13,550
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Doorstyle: Fagerland

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Do you think that drilling a few holes in the sides of the cabinets above and to the sides in the back might help a little bit with ventilation without weakening the cabinets?

Share |