Old Oct 7th, 07, 7:33 pm   #1
knutter
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Cincinnati:West Chester
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch/Avsikt
National Solar Tour

Hi everyone! I just wanted to drop a note to say that this year's National Solar Tour - Ohio's portion - was very successful. We had around 150 people (more then we expected) attend tours of our solar sustainable home all day Saturday 10/6/07. Our IKEA cabinets received a lot of praise by our guests!

I encourage all of you to get involved in your state in next year's tour - it's always the 1st weekend in October each year. You can read more about Ohio's portion of the solar tour at GEO and see photos of our house at The Nutter Residence: Dream Home, Green Home (PS the kitchen isn't completely finished yet, so when we finish it up we'll post it here. It's Nexus Birch with Lansa handles, concrete floors, soapstone counters, stainless back splashes, and butcherblock raised bar top).

Share |

knutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Oct 7th, 07, 9:22 pm  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 83,912
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Thumbs up Re: National Solar Tour

Nice! We're looking into some of the possibilities for upgrading an older home (1930's) to be a much more sustainable self sufficient house, so this is very much a topic on my mind!

You've got a really nice collection of resources there... This is one area of IKEA fandom that we'd really like to start shouting about. They've been on the Green bandwagon for *decades*.

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 07, 9:45 pm  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!
Re: National Solar Tour

Knutter- your home is beautiful, and it's wonderful to live in alignment with your values! Congratulations!

On a side note, when I read your post's title, I wondered why you were taking this new IKEA door style on tour around the country...

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 07, 7:39 pm  
IKEA FAN

Ha, ha! Yes, when I saw someone elses post, I was wondering why they were trying to use solar panels as cabinet doors!

Share |
Old Oct 8th, 07, 8:10 pm  

iKarma: 40,050
Gallery: 34
My IKEA: USA-West Sacramento
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!

Funny - I thought the same thing .. I was wondering why IKEA was doing a national tour with the solar door!! I guess it goes along with being TKO ... we need a new acronym here TIO !

Doreen

Share |

IKEAFANS Needs Your Help - Right NOW
dafogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 07, 10:34 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 94,020
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam
Doorstyle: Tidaholm, Abstrakt Red, Abstrakt White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!

I've been a big fan of the Knutter House project and even did a report on the house in my Environmental Design class. I have been fascinated by all stages of the project and I'm so glad that others in the area are getting a chance to see how the whole house works now that it is all done (well almost). Thanks so much for sharing you and your family's journey with us all!

Share |
zeuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 07, 9:46 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 229
Gallery: 1

I don't want to start a fight, I post similar responses to many green threads I encounter all over the 'Net to encourage thinking about this stuff in a global fashion. This stuff just isn't as easy or as clean as you want to think it is.

Solar, wind, bio-mass and many other forms of energy production need to be considered in their entirety. Solar panels, for instance, are made of weird heavy metals that originate in the most deplorable mining and smelting conditions. Children and slave labor are often employed and there are no safety or environmental protections. The materials travel across many oceans, through many countries and manufacturing steps to reach the American marketplace, incurring huge carbon footprints. The converted power, if not used immediately, is stored in lead-acid or lithium batteries that originate in the same deplorable mining and processing conditions. When these collection and conversion and storage devices fail, where do they go? Into carefully orchestrated recycling systems or your local landfill?

david boise ID

Share |
bogiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 07, 9:59 pm  
Administrator

iKarma: 216,513
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

Hey David - that's an interesting perspective that I, and I would guess, many others have never heard before. Do you have any citation for the information that you posted? For the research minded of us, y'know...

Susan

Share |
Old Oct 10th, 07, 7:44 am  
IKEA FAN

David is correct about the content of solar panels - a lot of harmful and heavy metals go into the manufacture of the panels. But do you know what the safest way to store and remediate these metals from our environment? Scientists have discovered that the safest way to store or dispose of these metals are sandwhiched between many layers of high strength glass. Want to guess how they make solar panels? So, not only are solar panels one of the safest way to keep these materials, but they are being put to good use as well. (Source here is a lecture I personally attended by speaker and world renowned architect, Wiliam McDonough). And solar panels can be completely recycled as technological nutrients. Source: the book Cradle to Cradle by William McDonough.

So, yes, while I acknowleddge that there are many things about green or sustainable design that are trade offs or not perfect - I'd still put my house up against any criteria, test, or competition. I have only had one positive electric bill since March - and that was the bill for August-September when we were consistently above 90-degrees, and the bill was $8. All of our other bills were credits from our local utility company ranging from $40 to $60 each month.

If more homes focused on distributed generation of electricity and installed solar panels for even part of their electricity system, we may be able to prevent power companies from building another coal fire power plant. (Also you may be interested in the recent court ruling that forces a coal burning utility in OH, KY, IN, WV to pay billions of dollars in damages due to acid rain caused by pollution from their facilties). Do a search at Yahoo news. For any more info, please, just ask! Thanks.

Professor Krista Atkins Nutter

Share |
Old Oct 10th, 07, 10:18 am  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

Thank you for referenced material, it's always easier to get beyond the hyperbole and conjecture (on either side) with actual reference material one can study and then decide on for themselves.

Thank you for continuing to share your project here, you are an inspiration and a future resource for us as we plan to turn our 1980s california construction into our longterm dream home.

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
tko