Old Sep 19th, 09, 1:44 am   #1
crg2mls
IKEA holic

iKarma: 46,546
Gallery: 44
My IKEA: USA-New York:Hicksville
Doorstyle: Adel Medium Brown

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
Benjamin Moore's Natura paint

I haven't used BM paint for quite some time since I found SW's prices were better & I often found sales. I haven't found there to be a significant difference in the quality. I received an email from BM about a new paint line, Natura. It indicates it is zero VOC even after adding the tinting. It seems like this is a new paint, perhaps I'm wrong. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this paint or any other BM low VOC paint. I've only used SW Duration & Harmony paints & primers but I am interested in the zero VOC option.

Share |

crg2mls is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 19th, 09, 4:46 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 50,266
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-New Haven

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 

I've been blogged!
Re: Benjamin Moore's Natura paint

Sadly, we did not use Benjamin Moore paints in my home. We used Glidden paint purchased at Home Depot and found it to be excellent. There was one shade of blue that we used in our bedroom that needed two coats, but otherwise it covered in one coat and was easy to roll out.

The Glidden we used was low odor, I think. It really didn't stink much when we painted...I'll have to go look at the cans again and report back! In fact, I'll have some pictures of the living room when I finish assembling the new manstad we pick up today at IKEA--NH!

Share |
Old Sep 20th, 09, 3:06 am  
IKEA holic

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

I know that HD has Freshaire paint whick is low VOC, but it is only available in a limited number of colors. I haven't used it or Glidden's.The Natura paint is appealing to me as it is no VOC.

Share |
Old Sep 20th, 09, 6:39 am  
IKEA addict

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

That's true. And that Freshaire paint has colors that nobody seems to want! I was disappointed with the choices.

Here's hoping you find what you're looking for in color. Remember, if you go with Glidden, you can purchase a small bottle of tester and paint a square on your wall. We did that, and saved the testers for touch ups when necessary.

Share |
Old Sep 20th, 09, 8:43 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 22,958
Gallery: 65
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Ädel White
I've been blogged!

We did that too. And the Glidden paint seemed reasonably good.

Share |
litlnemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 09, 2:30 pm  
IKEA holic

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

What finish paint do you both have?

Have you found it easy to clean?

Share |
Old Sep 20th, 09, 3:21 pm  
IKEA addict

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

We used the eggshell finish and have found it very easy to clean. We don't have small children running around, so that makes it easier, I know.

Share |
Old Sep 20th, 09, 3:52 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 22,958
Gallery: 65
Doorstyle: Ädel White
I've been blogged!

I have the semi-gloss (on the kitchen wall wainscoting). It seems cleanable enough so far, but it is still newish. We also do not have children running around, and so far the paint is only on one wall.

My favorite paint is Devine Color, but unfortunately they don't make a semi-gloss, and the wainscoting we were painting is 1911-vintage faux tile (tile lines scored in plaster) so it needed to have some shine. If you don't need the gloss, Devine paint is awesome -- no smell, goes on really well, very luxurious.

For example, in our foyer, we had white primer on the walls. We painted over it with Devine in a deep red. And one coat just about was enough. I think it did need the second coat to be perfect, but red over white even with two coats is pretty good. After I posted about it on my blog, a bunch of people wrote in to tell me that 3-4 coats of other brands of red paint would not cover their white walls.

Both the red and the green paints in this picture are Devine paints. The gold is Ralph Lauren metallic which is a pain to work with, but so pretty:

Share |
litlnemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 09, 5:09 pm  
IKEA addict

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Interestingly, I just saw a television commercial from the Home Depot that showed where they lowered their sample paint can prices to $2.94 per.

Share |
Old Sep 22nd, 09, 1:32 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 1,213
Gallery: 2
Doorstyle: Arlig Beech

Love, love, love Devine. Great coverage, really makes the wall look much better than other kinds of paint. Hides defects in my 50-year-old drywall that was installed with nails ( ie , has tons of nail pops) and has many owners' worth of bad repairs.

I recently used the FreshAire paint from HD for my office remodel. It's alright. Zero VOC with tint, since the tint is a powder. Color is great. Cans suck - the plastic lids don't like to stay shut. Not as good coverage as Devine. I'm using flat paint because I'm painting cedar, so I won't comment on sheen since I've never painted with flat before. It's alright.
Went zero VOC for the pregnant one.

Used indoor behr and hated it. Wouldn't stay on the wall - peeled off! Two different rooms with totally different surfaces and preps and same problem.

Share |
Apri is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment