Old Sep 18th, 07, 8:20 pm   #1
crl414
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 398
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT
environmentally friendly deck sealer?

Is this the right place to post this? Hope so.

Our new place has two decks, one pretty new by the looks of it and the other older--starting to gray, but in good shape. We're hoping to add a wood fence soon (we'll see how the estimates come in).

So, neither deck appears to have ever been sealed, stained or anything. I'd like to prolong their lives and also make them "match" a bit more. Both are in the back yard and you can very clearly see them at the same time. I'd also like to protect the fence and help it blend in once we get it installed.

Of course, I'd like to do this in an environmentally friendly manner. My current thinking is to sand the older deck to remove some of the "gray" and then treat both decks with something that has some color to it. Then do the same to the fence, although I gather I should wait a while (weeks, months?) to treat the new wood?

I found this product on green building supplies--it sure is pricey. Anyone familiar with it or have any other suggestions?

http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/i...sic_bottom.cfm

Thank you!
Catherine

Share |

crl414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 18th, 07, 8:25 pm  
IKEA FANatic

Re: environmentally friendly deck sealer?

Found another product. Cheaper, but doesn't appear to stain at all so it wouldn't help with the "matching" issue.

SoyGuard Premium Water Repellent and Wood Sealer - SoyClean Soy Based Products

Catherine

Another two:

GreenHomeGuide | Reviews & Information on AFM Naturals

Waterproof Sealers-Protective Sealers

Share |

Last edited by crl414; Sep 18th, 07 at 8:32 pm.. Reason: added links
Old Sep 21st, 07, 2:20 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

I've been blogged!

Here's a deck oil from the Environmental Home Center - a place I trust to sell the greenest products possible: Environmental Home Center, Seattle, green building materials.

Whatever you use, I discourage you from changing the color dramatically. We finally got rid of our deck that the PO 's had used a solid stain on, in a lovely pinkish shade. Re-staining was a huge challenge because of this heavy original treatment. Our new deck is Trex, made of sawdust and recycled plastic. I love it! And look forward to never staining again...

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 07, 3:45 pm  
IKEA FANatic

Thanks! Yeah, that faded redwood stain look is not so great. I was thinking a semi-transparent product in the lightest color that helps the existing decks match better.

Catherine

Share |
Old Jul 15th, 11, 5:53 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 96
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Want to be eco-friendly when you build your decks? Make use of environmentally friendly deck sealers and other materials that are proven to be safe. Home can help you get the proper materials to use.

Share |
boonelumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment