Go Back   IKEA FANS > Share > Healthy Lifestyles
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 30th, 08, 8:06 pm   #1
DesignDiva
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Truly, the breakfast of champions.

I am talking about my most recent discovery in the realm of foods that are not only good, but good for you. Ellie Krieger's show yesterday spotlighted the 10 Superfoods all in one day's worth of meals, and I'm telling you, you get healthier just LISTENING to the recipes, let alone eating them! So I decided immediately that my family needed to have these foods right now.

The first I made for breakfast....muesli. Pronounced "moosely" it is a Swiss concoction that will power you through most of the week, it's that healthy. And easy. And most of all, incredibly delicious and a delight to make and eat!

Swiss SuperMuesli

1 cup plain yogurt (superfood)
1 cup skim milk
1 cup rolled oats (superfood)
2 T honey or sweetner of your choice (maple syrup, molasses, whatever)
1/2 t vanilla
any other flavorings you personally like, cinnamon, nutmeg, whatever

Mix together and put in the fridge overnight. It will thicken into a sweet, creamy, slightly chewy bowl of yumminess that you might actually want to use as an all-over body mask as well. This recipe serves 4, but it is easily doubled, halved or fractionated any other way you like.

Serve with a variety of berries (another superfood) and chopped toasted walnuts and almonds (more superfoods). You will literally glow with health and vitality, and it's pretty darn filling, too!

Lunch:
Grilled Veggie and Hummus Wraps

4 large whole wheat tortillas (whole grains, superfood)
1 c hummus (beans, a superfood)
4 small zucchini, sliced longways 1/4 inch and grilled (salt, pepper, olive oil...a superfood too)
1 roasted red pepper, sliced (or you can use raw)
1/4 red onion, sliced
2 c baby spinach leaves (superfood)
A bit of chopped mint leaves (fresh)

Spread the hummus over the pitas, 1/4 cup each. Lay on the zucchini, pepper, onion and top with spinach and mint and fold in the sides of the tortillas and then roll up. I stored them in the fridge to firm up and chill.

Dinner
Salmon Florentine

6 oz salmon filets (superfood)
2 lbs spinach (superfood)
Some sundried tomatoes if you like, chopped
a couple cloves of garlic (my own personal superfood)
one shallot minced
Bit of olive oil
1/2 c ricotta cheese (or any cheese, really, you just need to bind the spinach together a bit)
Red pepper flakes if you like them

Heat olive oil, saute shallot and garlic for a few seconds, add spinach and toss until wilted and hot. Add sundried tomatoes and red pepper flakes and stir around, then add the ricotta and mix well. Season salmon filets and lay them in a baking dish, pile the spinach mixture on top and pack it so it sits on the salmon like a green hat. Bake 15 minutes. Serve with brown rice (whole grain superfood)

Can you imagine how healthy you'd be if you ate this every day? Wow! Amazingly good stuff, easy to prepare and good for you...can't beat that.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started

DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 30th, 08, 8:33 pm  
Frankenfingers

iKarma: 84,382
Gallery: 2962
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Tidaholm!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Truly, the breakfast of champions.

Man... That does sound good!

Definitely a keeper set of recipes for when we can eat it again.

Though we could probably get Elizabeth to go for the Muesli... Maybe it would head off some of the snacking.

Thinking about the salmon, we're addicted to the ocean caught frozen portions at Costco, perfect size and like you said, it's an ubersuperfood. I really like the sound of the Salmon Florentine, maybe we could come up with a non-dairy spinach binder?

::ponder::

::realizes that this is a bit beyond hot dog sculpture::

::stymied::

James

Share |

Want to help support IKEAFANS without taking a penny out of your pocket? Check out Amazon's offerings by following the link below (then search from there ) and a percentage of the sale will support this site! Kitchen Planning Resources
Tigratrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 08, 8:53 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,808
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: USA-New York:Brooklyn
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 6

Eva. I might give the "Moosley" a whirl. It sounds good.

Tigger , you can forget about binding agents for now. Season the salmon with salt, pepper and thin slices of garic. You can then sautee the salmon. In a different pan, sautee shallots & garlic in olive oil. Then add your spinach just until wilted. Add a small baked potato and you still have an uber food without the headaches.

Share |
madp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 08, 9:05 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 170
Gallery: 210
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Adel White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Moderator  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 8

Substitutions for dairy can be tricky. Although, in the case of the museli, the yogurt should be allowable due to the lactobaccillius acidophilous. (Acidophili?) Maybe you could try soy milk instead of the skim?

Share |

Has IKEAFans helped you? Then please click here to find out how you can help IKEAFans!

No trees were killed in the creation of this post. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Emmie9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 08, 9:55 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 123
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been munching on almonds for days. Yogurt, I'm afraid of. We've been taking the acidophillus in capsule form so I don't know that we need it, and I've had such violent reactions to eating anything off my diet that I'm not tempted to try it. Even if it is yummy.

Nothing like a diet that punishes you if you fall off.

Susan

Share |
Old Mar 30th, 08, 10:09 pm  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

Another superfood in my book is your friend silk tofu which can be subbed for ricotta in many recipes. All you need do is acquaint yourself with vegan dairy subs and life will smile upon you again.

And Mad, I was totally going to suggest the wilted! Yummy!

Eva, great recipes!! With the exception of the museli and the whole wheat (painful for me, if not deadly anymore) I am on board!!

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 08, 10:30 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 170
Gallery: 210
Doorstyle: Adel White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Moderator  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenOfDarwin View Post
Nothing like a diet that punishes you if you fall off.
AIn't that the truth...those sort of diets make things like Weight Watchers look positively easygoing. The huge bonus side is you know you are on the right track if you have that sort of reaction.

Kelly, silk tofu is a great thing! And, ya know something, I just remembered that there are soy based yogurts. Susan, can you do soy based products?

Share |

Has IKEAFans helped you? Then please click here to find out how you can help IKEAFans!

No trees were killed in the creation of this post. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Emmie9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 08, 11:08 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

Susan, I was thinking of you when I was working on this thread...I was hoping you'd be able to take away some ideas from it since you're so good at adapting your recipes. Soy is a great dairy sub (genius on the silken tofu, Kelly, I will have to remember that!), and you could probably sub something for the tortillas?...I'm not that familiar with gluten free. You could even do soy cheese or those vegan shreds as a sub for the spinach binder, or as Mad suggested, deconstruct it.

For the muesli you can sub fruit juice or some other liquid for the skim milk...the yogurt is not even essential to it. Traditional muesli is really just oats and mushed up and grated watery fruit left to sit overnight!

How do you do with grains? Can you do something like brown rice? Are oats OK? I am hating the fact that you need to have such a restricted diet, but I am so glad you've finally found a way out of the problems that have plagued you for so long.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 08, 12:08 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,123
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Nexus BB in bathroom

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Eva, the Muesli sounds fabulous! DH and I were in Chicago several years back, and for breakfast at the hotel they served this granola type stuff that was wonderful. I had to have the recipe. They gave it to me.

Anyway, it basically was granola with half-n-half (NOT GOOD FOR YOU), and chopped granny smith apples, strawberries and dried dates. You cook the granola and half-n-half, and incorporate the chopped fruit afterward before serving.

I think the fruits would sound SOOO yummy added to your Muesli, and probably alot more healthy without the half-n-half.

Share |
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 08, 12:55 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 550
Gallery: 0
Thumbs up Re: Truly, the breakfast of champions.

EvaPerconti,

Thanks for the Muesli recipe! I have been searching google recently for some recipes that contain rolled oats and never through to look on this website. I use it for home decorating ideas, but it seems to have a dual purpose now. Bonus!

Also, just a few thoughts that I had on the recipe. I would probably choose light plain yogurt as the non-light version can contain a lot of sugar. You probably want to also choose a low-sugar sweetener as well, if used at all. I'm going to try the first batch without any sweetener and add Splenda if needed.

Thanks again!

Share |
bandk is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment