Old Jul 6th, 08, 7:00 am   #1
Vickerman
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 90
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Spain-Asturias:Siero
TV low table from Lack series

Hi everyone!

How to explain what happened to me? I was wondering at the office about how on earth could I put my TV in my new living room, instead of working (obviously), when a friend of mine showed me the world of IKEA hacking, and I couldn't resist to create my own furniture, so in an impressive tecnhological movement, I opened the Microsoft Paint, and with my fingers in the touchpad of my laptop, I designed what was going to be my very first table.

I was quite happy not because of the result, but because the fact of discovering this hacking trend. How could I imagine that before? I was amazed...

The following two pics show the original design of the low table. A back "wall" had to be added later on while shopping, as the back part of the Lack shelves are not as flat as I thought. Paint made, yes...

The idea is to buy, then, two small "cube" tables, and a shelf. Table legs will be positioned horizontally, and the table will have four levels in total (six in the fina design). Seven legs to be used, so one left.

This picture shows a "preview" of my living room with the table set up. IKEA sofa, lamps, and carpet.

Once all parts were bought, and late at night after work, I made some kind of provisional set-up, to see the looks. Exactly as planned, I was happy. Note the green "back wall", wich covers the back of the table and actually helps in separating two areas within the living room.

Legs are not painted, not even glued, and their position was slightly changed for the final construction.

The point was to hide that red wall, and give the table a lighter look.

These are the items used to build the table. Due to the way Lack parts are made, glue was the best option. In any case, the result is not the strongest on earth, making the table a bit fragile. I'm not worried, though.

And this is the first result...

Yes, almost everything is IKEA...

How could I improve it? Maybe by giving it an ever more "aerial" loook. I wanted it to be lighter, and to have more confort while watching the TV at night. So... I added some lights under the pannels. IKEA white leds did it all.

And I am quite proud of it. It may be simple, it may look cheap... I don't care, it is simple and it was cheap, but I think it looks fantastic.

Next step: making the same thing... in carbon fibre (and sell it for 10.000 euros each).

Share |

Vickerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 6th, 08, 1:44 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Vaughan
Re: TV low table from Lack series

Wow looks amazing!

Share |
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 11, 7:55 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 501

Way to go! You've done a fantastic (and not a bit cheap looking!) hack! Bravo!

Share |
Frannylovesikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 11, 7:57 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 501

Ha ha ha! Just noticed the rubic's cube...nice touch!

Share |
Frannylovesikea is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment