Old Jan 4th, 09, 8:04 pm   #1
DonVon
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
PAX door like a barn door?

Hi there,
My husband and I have an entry into our master closet that is approx 4' wide. We want to install some sort of sliding barn door in the space but haven't seen what we like within our cheap budget.

While in the Atlanta Ikea store yesterday, we were looking at the Pax frosted glass door and really liked that but we aren't sure if we could install it with enough stability as it won't have a bottom track.

Can you offer any suggestions? My husband is thinking that he will need to dig a channel into the subfloor and sink the track into it -- I'm not a huge fan of that idea!

Thanks much!

Share |

DonVon is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 5th, 09, 6:22 am  
IKEA FAN

Gallery: 15
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch, Avsikt
Re: PAX door like a barn door?

I've had this idea running around in my head as well, but hadn't thought that a bottom channel would be necessary if the brackets at the top grabbed the door frame at two junctures vertically and there were at least two top brackets. I've been thinking three, myself.

Share |
Artsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 09, 4:56 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,570
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

I've done it and discussed it here at length as well as detailed the whole deal on my blog . Search the site for "PAX sliding door".
In my experience, it will need at least part of a bottom rail to function well.

Share |
Old Jan 18th, 09, 1:05 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 270
My IKEA: Australia-Perth

I have a few ideas - but before you accept any of them, get a second opinion from someone who actually knows what they're doing. Anywho.

We had a generic sliding door in an old house. All the hard work was done at the top. There was some sort of runner up there. The door had a groove along the bottom edge. A small plastic plate sat in there and guided the door, preventing it from moving out.
I'm not sure if you could put a groove into a PAX. Perhaps instead you could buy a length of 5mm square c-shaped aluminium and attach that to the bottom of the door, then find a bearing or spike or plate which fits into that groove.

If you want to take some weight off the top, perhaps some castors would do the trick. Won't help hold it in place, mind.

Share |
redwards100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 09, 10:55 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Thanks a lot! I will investigate further and then I know my husband can make it work.

Share |
DonVon is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment