No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Apr 14th, 09, 10:41 am   #1
Herbie555
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-San Diego
Murphy Bed with Pax Wardrobe Cabinets

I just completed a remodel on our guest room, and I wanted to share the result of my big Ikea Hack.

I built a Murphy Wall Bed using modified Pax wardrobe cabinets and an off-the-shelf Murphy folding bed mechanism.
Click for larger version
Click for larger version

Rather than resize a bunch of pictures for reposting here, its easiest to just point to my web album with pictures and descriptions: Murphy Bed Project

Basically, I stretched a 40" Pax cabinet to "double-wide" then made four Birkeland doors into two bi-fold doors and hung them with extra hinges (for the weight). Combined with the stock side cabinets I got a nice built-in looking cabinet, and I only spent about $1600 for the whole project, versus ~$5000 for a cheaply made commercial Murphy Bed installation.

I have a lot of extra details in a blog post here, but I'm willing to answer any other questions, since I know from my early research that there is some interest in this topic.

Share |

Herbie555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 14th, 09, 2:02 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 19,754
Gallery: 9
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: Murphy Bed with Pax Wardrobe Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie555 View Post
I just completed a remodel on our guest room, and I wanted to share the result of my big Ikea Hack.

I built a Murphy Wall Bed using modified Pax wardrobe cabinets and an off-the-shelf Murphy folding bed mechanism.
Click for larger version
Click for larger version

Rather than resize a bunch of pictures for reposting here, its easiest to just point to my web album with pictures and descriptions: Murphy Bed Project

Basically, I stretched a 40" Pax cabinet to "double-wide" then made four Birkeland doors into two bi-fold doors and hung them with extra hinges (for the weight). Combined with the stock side cabinets I got a nice built-in looking cabinet, and I only spent about $1600 for the whole project, versus ~$5000 for a cheaply made commercial Murphy Bed installation.

I have a lot of extra details in a blog post here, but I'm willing to answer any other questions, since I know from my early research that there is some interest in this topic.
that's awesome! I have no need for a murphy bed, but i want one now!

Share |
Old Apr 22nd, 09, 5:06 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 369
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: pax

Thats really neat, talk about space saving!

Share |
pops1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 10:38 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 171,819
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

This is really cool. I'd love to have a murphy bed in the office, although I'm not sure how to fit one in, but I do have one question for you. In the slideshow you say:

Quote:
The headboard stores against the wall when the bed is folded up. When down, the headboard bolts to the Murphy frame so our guests can sit up in bed.
Does that mean you have to manually attach the headboard every time you set up the room for guests?

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 11:30 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpy View Post
Does that mean you have to manually attach the headboard every time you set up the room for guests?
No and Yes.

For a quick overnighter, we wouldn't bother; it isn't required to sleep in the bed.

For longer stays (like when my in-laws are here for several nights), then we attach the headboard so they can read in bed, etc. Attaching the headboard means just sliding it forward about 4 inches onto a pair of bolts that stick out from the murphy frame, then spinning down two wingnuts, so it takes about 45 seconds. It takes longer to make the bed and fluff the pillows.

Share |
Herbie555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 11:36 am  

iKarma: 171,819
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Thanks! You did a wonderful job.

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 09, 12:45 pm  

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

this looks great,and is a fabulous solution.

I'm in awe.

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
hack pax murphy wallbed