No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old May 21st, 09, 9:03 pm   #1
blanchedeveraux
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 110
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke
Malm Dresser - adding knobs, handles

Has anyone ever added hardwear to the Malm dressers? Seems simple enough, but I don't actually have a Malm dresser so am wondering if there may be something that I'm not considering that would hinder this.

Has anyone done anything creative with them beyond just paint?

thank you!

Share |

blanchedeveraux is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 24th, 09, 10:37 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 228,952
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Malm Dresser - adding knobs, handles

Welcome to IKEAFANS, blanchedeveraux.

I have assembled literally hundreds of Malm dressers, and never once put handles on them. I think the reason people don't do this normally is because adding the handles kind of conflicts with the clean lines and no-frills design of the Malm line.

But there wouldn't be anything magical or difficult about doing so, as long as you have a good template or other way to mark and drill your holes.

Share |
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 09, 9:05 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 410
Gallery: 1
My IKEA: Italy-Parma

I've just found this post on ApartmentTherapy Apartment Therapy ohdeedoh | #2 - Matilda's Dresser that you may find of interest

And also here Can I add handles/drawer pulls to a malm dresser or chest? some consideration

Hope this helps!

Share |
enui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 09, 9:06 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 796
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Burlington

I personally contemplated doing this today using METRIK handles found in the kitchen knobs section. The only thing you may need is longer screws as i'm unsure of the length provided. Let me know how it goes. Measure twice, drill once

Share |
mikebos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 09, 10:18 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 26,204
Gallery: 28
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
I've been blogged!

I use 2 Malm dressers as my vanity.
A couple of years ago I added handles to match all the chrome accessories I use to hold my make up stuff.
The handles don't seem to distract from the clean modern look. Also, I just really can't stand cabinets or drawers without handles, it's very uncomfortable for the fingers.

Share |
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 09, 10:23 pm  
IKEA FANatic

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
I use 2 Malm dressers as my vanity.
A couple of years ago I added handles to match all the chrome accessories I use to hold my make up stuff.
The handles don't seem to distract from the clean modern look. Also, I just really can't stand cabinets or drawers without handles, it's very uncomfortable for the fingers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1083.JPG (439.9 KB, 177 views)

Share |
Old Jul 2nd, 09, 10:39 am  
IKEA FANatic

I've been blogged!

I forgot to say this: the drawer fronts are thicker than usual, so if you use Ikea hardware, the supplied screws are too short. Years ago, the screws Ikea supplied were metric, so, at the hardware store I had to ask for longer metric screws. But I think Ikea now supplies inch based US screws in the US. Best of luck!

Share |

Comment