LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Aug 3rd, 09, 6:10 pm   #1
virtualibrarian
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 370
Gallery: 0
Question Modifying Kura Bed to Take Full/Double Mattress on Bottom

My son has fallen in love with the Kura bed (he loves the tent), and his grandparents have promised to get it for him for a birthday present, but the problem is that we share a bedroom (tiny house, no husband or other kids to displace) and up to this point have shared a full-size bed. I wanted to get one of those twin-over-full bunk beds (Ikea has one, it's a variant of the Tromso, I think), but these don't come with that cool tent so I'm pretty sure we will end up getting the Kura and he'll be sleeping on the top and I'll be underneath on a mattress on the floor. Well, as I don't want our current mattress to go to waste, plus I'd really rather have a full bed for those times he'll want to come down for a visit, I was wondering if there was a way I could put a full mattress underneath. It looks like the one problem would be the fact that there's that wooden rail around the bottom (with the Kura arranged in the bed-on-top position), this would make the mattress tilt and probably be fairly uncomfortable. Could I maybe get some of the Ikea wooden bed slats, the ones for a full/double mattress, and put them under the Kura bed to make a platform that would raise the mattress up to the height of that wooden rail? Or should I use the wooden slats for a twin mattress, and just have the extra width hanging over the edge? Maybe use some 1'x4's instead/in addition? I know what end result I'd like to achieve, but I'm not too great at envisioning engineering logistics ahead of time, so I'd love to get some help from someone who can envision these things (and/or has actually done this before, but I can't find any evidence online that anyone has).

Share |

virtualibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Aug 4th, 09, 1:57 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: Modifying Kura Bed to Take Full/Double Mattress on Bottom

Hi there VirtualLibrarian, and welcome to IKEAfans!

Reading thru what you want to do with that bed frame, from my perspective, I think you'll want to build a "deck" from plywood/MDF/chipboard that will sit ON TOP of the lower bed frame, and then put the larger mattress on it.

You'd want to cut the ply/MDF/chip just a little narrower than the mattress (just maybe 1"? so you don't bark your shins on the wood getting in/out of bed). Attach a couple of 1-bys underneath on the long sides that will rest just inside the bed frame -- this will keep the 'deck' from sliding off the frame left or right.

Then put your mattress on top of that. The deck extends over the sides of the IKEA frame to accommodate an oversize mattress.

You might need a couple more of these 1x's on the centerline for correct support - to make the 'deck' level

[I recommend cutting the deck into a couple of sections just to make it easier to get in and out of your house, but up to you - and if you have easy access you might not need to.]

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 09, 5:55 pm  
Installer

iKarma: 18,053
Gallery: 51
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Kalsebo, Arlig Beech
I've been blogged!

Just one question: how are you going to deal with the ladder (which is an integral part of the bed frame) if you want to put a mattress that is wider than the frame?

Btw , the frame is built out of 1-5/8" 'square' solid pine, in case you are looking for a similar material to modify the frame.

P.S.: My daughter has one of these beds and she loves it. She calls the bottom part of the bed her "club house".

Share |
Old Aug 4th, 09, 6:03 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 370

It looks like the ladder is only on one side - if the bed were positioned so that neither of the long sides was against the wall the mattress could extend out from the side that the ladder was not on, leaving the ladder accessible for climbing up top without having to climb over the extended part of the mattress. The non-ladder side looks to be entirely open apart from the one rail running around the bottom.

Thanks for the idea about the plywood "deck"! That should work great - the back side being flush with the ladder side of the bed, the extra width extending out on top of the rail and out from the other side.

Share |
virtualibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 09, 6:38 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualibrarian View Post
My son has fallen in love with the Kura bed (he loves the tent)... I wanted to get one of those twin-over-full bunk beds (Ikea has one, it's a variant of the Tromso, I think), but these don't come with that cool tent so I'm pretty sure we will end up getting the Kura
I am pretty sure you can buy the tent separately. Here, in fact.

From this photo:

You can see that the connector to the bed is just this L-shaped bracket and a screw of some sorts. It's not even a Kura bed. It wouldn't be hard to simply rig it up on the Tromso. If it doesn't stay, tie it down or even use some duct tape (if you do a clean enough job, it could look good).

If he wants more privacy from the side, you can use some fabric.

Good luck,

T.

Share |
Pojken is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment