Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Oct 1st, 09, 3:32 pm   #1
ss103299
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 688
Gallery: 0
Question How do I make a non-ikea lamp shade fit an ikea lamp?

I need a bit of help ikeafans! I recently made my first purchase at ikea and took home with me the Januari floor lamp. At the time, I didn't know that you needed to purchase an ikea lamp shade to fit on the base. As I live several hours from my nearest ikea store I want to make the best of this situation and find a way to make a non-ikea UNO lamp shade fit on the socket. From the looks of the socket I don't think I can take it out to rewire the lamp because it seems to be solidly glued in place. Perhaps someone can think of a way to get around this wiring situation? Perhaps there is a simple solution that doesn't require rewiring that hasn't occured to me. (When I talked to an ikea customer rep. she claimed that there are non-ikea lamp shades out there that will fit their bases, but she could not give me any names. Perhaps someone has had luck with this.) Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Share |

Last edited by ss103299; Oct 1st, 09 at 3:38 pm..
ss103299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Oct 1st, 09, 5:00 pm  
ted
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 105,757
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
Re: How do I make a non-ikea lamp shade fit an ikea lamp?

Ikea used to sell an adapter ring for this,
I'm not sure if they still stock it?

Ted

Share |
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 09, 1:54 am  
IKEA FAN

Thanks for the advice Ted, but to my understanding the reducer ring is for fitting an ikea lampshade on a non-ikea lamp. I'm trying to do the opposite (getting a non-ikea lamp shade with a smaller UNO fitting on the larger ikea lamp base socket). It could be that I'm unfamilar with the reducer you are talking about.

Share |
Old Jun 1st, 10, 9:22 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 337

Hello, I am having the same issue -- I bought two lamps (Farsbo) at Ikea (2 hour drive from me) thinking that I could just decide on a shade to match my room later, only to find that the attachment is not compatible with US standard shades. Has anyone found a way to use a non-IKEA lamp shade on an IKEA lamp?

Thanks!

Share |
photomom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 10, 2:10 pm  
IKEA FAN

Hi Photomom1,

I couldn't find the lamp you are taking about online so I have no idea if it's a stand alone or a ceiling mount. I had absolutely no luck in finding a solution for my problem. I can tell you what I did and perhaps you can build off that.

- I bought a lampshade with a UNO ring and tried cutting it to streach the ring out with the hopes that it would fit. Unfortunately, the support bars in the lamp going down to the UNO ring made it impossible. Also, if you cut out a portion of the UNO ring it mades the lampshade unstable.

- I searched online for European shades and had a problem finding them, or they weren't worth the expense to ship just to see if they would fit on the lamp.
- I did find an assortment of old Ikea lampshade on ebay and craigslist so perhaps something will strike your fancy there.

- I looked to see if anyone else was making lampshade to fit ikea lamps, and did find a few artisans at etsy. I'm not sure how family you are with the etsy website, but if an artisan doesn't have something you like you can always request to see if they are willing to do custom work. In addition, there is also a section of the website devoted to just clients seeking out artisans to do custom work.

- When I found nothing I liked, and wasn't able to make a lamp shade fit I looked at the math. For me it wasn't economical enough to try and get something made, to travel an hour to Ikea, or to keep buying shades hoping to come up with a solution. In the end I donated the lamp to charity (with a note giving them a heads up about the shade) and went to walmart.com and purchased a lamp which I ended up liking better and was still reasonably price.

I hope this helps you out in your remodeling adventure.

Share |
Old Jun 29th, 10, 6:33 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 337

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! I am going to explore Etsy to see if there is anything I like there; honestly I may just wait until I am in the area of our closest IKEA and purchase shades then, my husband may pass through there on business some time soon. I love the lamp so I am pretty committed to finding a way to use it eventually (I noticed it is not on the website, it is a table lamp and matches the room I am working with perfectly).

It would be really great if IKEA at least posted a "warning" somewhere to make the difference known - I may suggest this through their customer service dept. I simply didn't purchase them at the time because I was dealing with an antsy toddler and figured I could pick up a shade anywhere!

Thanks again.

Share |
photomom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 11, 1:36 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 81
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Thanks...I have the same issue...just purchased 2 lamps from Ikea today, and tried to use a shade that we purchased elsewhere.

Share |
wolffster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 11, 10:46 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 190
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton

I had the same problem, and came across this fabulous site: Replacement Lamp Shades | Custom Lamp Shades | Floor LampShades | Table Lamp Shades | Discount Lamp Shades | Replacement Lamp Shades. I still wasn't 100% sure what kind of fitter I needed even after reading their extensive FAQ (what if my lamp was different??). So, I called and spoke to someone extremely helpful, who let me send her some photos (attached) to facilitate the q&a.

Here's the skinny: see the tallest part of the socket, the bit that has a thread on the outside? The outside diameter of that is 1 5/8", that's an important measurement. Also see the ring just below the thread with vertical grippies? It screws off. With this information my awesome contact told me with confidence I needed a standard European fitter. Done and done!

Hope you find this helpful, but if not I highly recommend these guys for questions. And I'm totally getting my custom lamp shade from them, because businesses with such great customer service should be supported!

IkeaFitter.1.jpg

IkeaFitter.2.jpg

IkeaFitter.3.jpg

Share |
harman.elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 11, 2:09 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: Australia-Sydney:Homebush Bay Drive
Smile Re: How do I make a non-ikea lamp shade fit an ikea lamp?

Hello

I have the same problem in Australia, bought the lamp but can't find a solution to the fitting issue. I tried op shops, went to a hardware store looking for a washer or similar to create a fitting, got all enthusiastic about making my own lampshade, even looked at soldering irons!

I really like the table lamp, but I can't see that I am going to be able to find a shade for it, which is a big nuisance. IKEA, if you're listening, I need one of two things; firstly a warning about this at point of purchase, and secondly - which would have been preferable- a better range of lampshades!

Who knows, one day I might even start a small home business making IKEA lampshade.

Share |
Mellow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 12, 2:41 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 88
My IKEA: Australia-Sydney:Homebush Bay Drive

My problem is that the glass shade of my floor lamp broke, and ikea no longer makes the product and has no comparable shade to replace it with.

Share |
jenjay56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
ikea hacker , lamp , lamp shade , lampshade , wiring