Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 21st, 10, 9:21 pm   #1
gabby
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 495
Gallery: 0
HELP with Tarnby jute rug - lotsa dirt!!

Tarnby rug leaving MASSIVE amounts of dirt and debris on the floor. Despite frequent vacuuming, the rug continues to leave dirt etc. Will this ever stop?! Has anybody else had this experience? Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Share |

gabby is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 22nd, 10, 9:08 am  
Administrator

iKarma: 220,591
Gallery: 1457
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 3

Re: HELP with Tarnby jute rug - lotsa dirt!!

Unfortunately, I think it's the nature of the beast. Those natural fibers break and shred and leave little bits of themselves under the rug. It's a mess. It does get better over time, if that's any consolation. I've had one for a couple of years and it's a LOT less mess than it used to be.

Hope that helps!
Susan

Share |
Old Jun 22nd, 10, 3:52 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 495

Susan - I appreciate your feedback. Unfortunately, last night after I "tagged" my post, I got a hit for similar threads and clicked on it to read. A guy in January 2009 described the exact same thing but went on to say that his Tarnby was over hardwood and it had left the impression of the rug in the floor. I thought "uh-oh"! Went and rolled mine completely up, vacuumed thoroughly - and low and behold - just as the other guy described - the imprint of the rug remains on the hardwood. YIKES!!!!!! I have mopped twice and used hardwood cleaner. Still there. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen. It doesn't really look like it's scratched, not like you would think of a scratch in the wood, but it is a definite imprint of the pattern of the jute. I had already emailed IKEA customer care with pictures of the debris and have not gotten a response. Guess I will be back on the phone trying to get resolution. Would not recommend the Tarnby over hardwood for sure!!

Share |
gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 10, 12:20 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 195

We had the same problem--a sandy type of dirt. When we cleaned it up, we discovered the carpet pattern was scratched into our hardwood floor!

Share |
jolouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 10, 10:25 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 98

I have been thinking about purchasing this rug, but am hesitant after reading these posts. Were any of you using a rug pad? Do you think that would prevent the scratches from occurring?

Thank you!

Share |
leabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 10, 10:22 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 195

Yes, we used the underlay that Ikea sells. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same size as the rug, so we have 6 inches of damage around the edges.

We returned the carpet to Ikea and stood at customer service for 1/2 hour while they "opened an account" for us to investigate the problem. They then asked me to email photos, and guess what? They claim they have no responsibility.

Their reason? We could have bought underlay.
number 1: we did buy underlay,
number 2: they don't have underlay the size of the rug, number 3: nowhere on the tag or in the store does it say to buy the underlay and nobody tells you that when you check out.

Convenient for them, huh? People have been complaining about this problem for several years, and they have done nothing to rectify the problem. How about a simple warning on the tag?

I have shopped there for many years and will not do so again, since they won't accept responsibility for their products.

Share |
jolouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 11, 4:43 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 453
My IKEA: Australia-Sydney:Homebush Bay Drive
Exclamation Re: HELP with Tarnby jute rug - lotsa dirt!!

Goodness I wish I'd seen these posts before we went and put a Tarnby rug on our new laminate floor. The floor has been down 1 week and the rug just 2 days. I noticed the dust and thought I should clean it up and there it was the imprint of the rug on our floor. We are still in shock, it took my hubby 2 days to install the floor and we loved the rug ages ago when we saw it.

We have had the flooring company over to have a look and fingers crossed, he thinks they will replace the floor where it has been damaged (it has a 25 year warranty against scratches). The flooring company were perplexed as to why this had happened and had not seen it before. They also said that the rug was NOT rough enough to damage the floor.

I'm obviously at the begining of a long running saga !!

Share |
Theshropshirelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 12, 6:39 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 175
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Paramus
Thumbs down Re: HELP with Tarnby jute rug - lotsa dirt!!

We just bought one, rolled it up a week later and were mortified to see a lot of dirt/sand ruining our historic home's newly refinished wood floor! Not to mention, what's in this dirt? What 3rd world country, super-fund site did it come from. What really bothers me is - I really LIKE the darn thing - but, it's going back today!

Share |
janmcdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 13, 12:28 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Question Re: HELP with Tarnby jute rug - lotsa dirt!!

Well, now I know I'm not crazy! Sure enough, lots of fine, silt-like dark dirt (not the color of Georgia red dirt)--it would be interesting to test it and see what exactly it consists of--probably from some third world country, and hopefully doesn't contain carcinogens.
More confusing is the very slight imprint that is forming on my floor--not sure why--it's not the rug is that heavy that it should leave a mark? Is there maybe some chemical in the rug causing this? I have soft woods (heart of pine) and plan on getting them refinished, so I'm not super concerned, but I'm wondering what is causing this...

Share |
kirstendc is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
debris under rug , dirt , jute rug , shedding , tarnby rug