LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Oct 25th, 12, 5:50 pm   #1
buckyswider
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 200
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Philadelphia:Conshohocken
Make "Angry Birds Pig Fortress" from Expedit?

Hi all, pretty cool place someone pointed me to! I've been assembling Ikea stuff since the first US store opened close to me in PA. Coulda made a business out of it!!

Anyhow, my latest project has me scratching my head. I've been "commissioned" by the wife & kid to build a bookshelf for the kid's room that looks like the ramshackle "Pig Fortress" from "Angry Birds". I can easily make a bookshelf; I can easily make a Pig Fortress facsimile. But making something that looks as cobbled together as the fortress but still functions as a bookshelf has me stumped.

So I was thinking of using a pre-made 'cube' shelf and somehow making a facade for it that mimiced the beat-up, crooked, pig fortress. Went to Ikea to try to get some ideas. Saw the Expedit shelving and thought just *maybe*...then when I went to the scratch-n-dent room and found a 4x4 Expedit in birch, I figured, what the heck!

So I constructed the shelve. I left out three random vertical dividers to give it a *little" more random of a look. Now the tough part: making and attaching the facade. I was going to use landscape timbers, but I fear they'll be too heavy for the project. Maybe an old, weather-beaten slab fence? (I'll worry about finding one later if I can figure out how to make it work!!!) But whatever I choose, I've got to find a good way to attach the facade. There's not enough gluing surface on the majority of the cabinet face (just the four sides). So I don't know.

Any and all ideas welcome, because other than the shelf, the canvas is blank. I was thinking about a couple smaller units- maybe 4x1 and 2x1 stacked next to the main cabinet on either side to give it more of a random look too. Who knows. Thanks!

Share |

buckyswider is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Comment