No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Nov 6th, 12, 5:19 pm   #1
DESIGNSTLOUIS
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,134
Gallery: 1
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Bolingbrook
Suggestions for filling holes from hardware on Abstrakt white kitchen doors

I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen and came across a local person who is selling their Abstrakt white Ikea cabinet and drawer fronts after using them for less than a year. Abstrakt is what I was planning on using all along but with different hardware (therefore different holes). Has anybody had luck filling and matching finish on Abstrakt doors or any suggestions on how I might accomplish this? I have read several forums about going to an auto-body shop to match panels which is what I plan on doing for my integrated fridge panels but I am curious of how a small patch repair would look. Buying the doors second hand would potentially save big bucks but its not worth it to me if I have to settle on hardware.

Share |

DESIGNSTLOUIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 6th, 12, 11:16 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 191,099
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!
Re: Suggestions for filling holes from hardware on Abstrakt white kitchen doors

Hi

Different handles does not necessarily mean different holes as many use the same size.

Also if you want an invisible repair, by the time you have found someone to do it the cost could end up more than just buying them new.

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 12, 3:40 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

+1 to what BRB said.
Abstrakt would be the worst to try and conceal a repair on, IMO . If I couldn't use a handle with the same hole spacing, I wouldn't bother. Or I would figure out a way to fill the extraneous holes *with something* that was decorative and looked on purpose. Good luck with that though!

Share |
Old Dec 16th, 12, 10:33 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,134
Gallery: 1
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Bolingbrook

Thanks for the advice- I went the "new" route and they are half installed and are looking great! Another question in regards to handles/hardware- I like the look of aluminum channels that are installed either top or bottom of doors, sit flush, and are cut to size for each cabinet door so they run the entire width. I ran across a blog sometime ago with an ikea kitchen remodel that featured this type of handle that were supposedly from ikea? My guess is they don't make it anymore? Any suggestions on sources for such?

Share |
DESIGNSTLOUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 12, 10:35 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

AFAIK , IKEA has never done such a cut-to-size handle. Their BLANKETT handles are similar and come in a few different lengths.

I think the handle material you reference was/is from Hafle, but I can't find right this minute.

Share |

Comment