Old Jan 1st, 13, 10:33 am   #1
MadDogMike
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 412
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Question Deep pull-out closet cabinet?

I'm looking to do something like this for under-staircase storage:

For the pull-out wardrobe, my first thought was the pull-out tall cabinet I have in my IKEA kitchen. However, kitchen cabinets are only 24" deep. I have about 42" of depth in that space, so I'd like a deeper cabinet to take full advantage of the space.

I haven't found an IKEA cabinet that deep. Any suggestions? Maybe two of the kitchen cabinets back-to-back, and trim a few inches off of each one to make it fit?

Share |

MadDogMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 1st, 13, 12:59 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 33,878
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Lidingo in the kitchen, Liljestad for the library and media center

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Re: Deep pull-out closet cabinet?

The problem I see with that idea is that the drawer slides are only about 20", which means most of the slide-out would be inaccessible.

This might be one of those places where building the boxes from scratch and using longer slides would be best (and cheapest)

Share |
good42n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 13, 9:08 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 412
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown

Yeah, I was hoping maybe IKEA had some longer slides on some other product. The other issue is they probably can't hold the weight I need them to. I ended up getting these slides, which are 36" deep and are rated for 250 pounds. (And a great deal at that site, too!) I'm afraid an IKEA hack won't work for this project. This going to be a custom job.

Share |
MadDogMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 13, 1:21 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

I agonized over a similar under-stairs storage issue for about two years in an attempt to avoid having to build something custom. I never came up with a solution, and ultimately, it would have been faster and easier to just bite the bullet and get going with the plywood (which I ended up having to do anyway).
If you want something similar to what you've pictured, IKEA is not going to work, period, and I do not say that very easily. Custom built is really the only way I came up with that would accomplish that AND use all the space. Your inspiration photo is FABULOUS.

My under-stairs depth was also 42", and I ended up dividing it into two separate layers of storage--a fixed (custom built), 18" deep shelving unit against the back wall that fills the whole triangle for stuff I only need once a year, and wheeled cabinetry in front, which I actually don't advise now that I've done it.

Share |
Old Feb 19th, 13, 3:17 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville

Hi, I have been contemplating for several years with the wasted space under my stairs. It has a very small door to access the area, but it's a waste in trying to access this area through such a small opening. So, my vision was the use of pull outs for this under stair area.

I am so surprised with all these closet/organizing companies that advertise they can re-do your closets, garages, etc... to make the best use of the space, via their built-in systems; that someone hasn't come up with the idea to cater to people with the problem of maximizing their under stair area. I have been patiently waiting for IKEA to jump on this need for so many.

Splat Girl, I have followed your blog, because you always do wonderful things with IKEA for your home renovations/built-ins. I like your concept about the under stairs, by using the back half for things not accessed all the time and using rolling cabinets in front, but you cautioned against this. Can I ask what you discovered that you didn't like about using the rolling cabinets? As you can tell, I am still hoping to use IKEA cabinets for the under stairs area, before I give in and go custom made, by hiring someone.

Share |
ZenZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 13, 4:45 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Hi Zen
I knew I recognized that name!

I used a combination of Besta and the Akurum 49" blind corner cabinet. Besta is fine on casters--they are sold with that as an option. The Akurum corner cabinet is what is under the stairs. It's just not sturdy enough on it's own, as built, to be something you'd actually feel comfortable moving around on a regular basis. It's also really heavy to begin with, and fully loaded, yikes. I don't need to move it hardly ever, but if it mattered for my purposes, I would have set the whole carcass on a secondary sheet of 3/4" plywood and considered strengthening measures on the inside once I saw how things were working out.
So it's not that I think a person couldn't get Akurum to work well and be sturdy enough for regular use in this circumstance, it's just that it would require a healthy dose of ingenuity and a boatload of screwing around and I'm not convinced starting from scratch isn't cheaper and less work. The sticking point for me was that I wanted the nice pull-out for the blind corner and modern style doors, and those two things anywhere other than IKEA are at least 2x the cost at a minimum.

Share |

Comment