No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jan 30th, 13, 4:38 pm   #1
newfangled
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 655
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Edmonton
Murphy Bed with Sliding Doors

Our spare bedroom is long and narrow, and with a queensize bed there's still plenty of floorspace, but it's not actually usable for anything. We wanted to make the room multi-functional, so the solution was to put in a murphy bed.

I was inspired by these two hacks.
Murphy Bed with Pax Wardrobe Cabinets
Murphy Bed with IKEA Cabinets

But tweaked things a bit...

The two posts that inspired me both had some negative comments about the murphy bed mechanisms that they used.

After digging around online I decided to use the kit from Next Bed, which I thought was fantastic. It's a slat-bed so it's comfy, it came in two reasonably manageable boxes (30lbs and 60lbs), and they've got some great videos online so assembly was easy.

Total cost of materials was $1,650.
(we waited until a Ikea bedroom event was on, bought the Pax items for $1,010, got back a $150 gift card, and used that to buy the lighting).

We also paid for delivery which I do not regret, since the pax boxes are huge and unwieldly.

I made an instructable if anyone is interested in more detail:
Ikea Hack - Murphy Bed with Sliding Doors

Share |

newfangled is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 30th, 13, 11:05 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 194,427
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!
Re: Murphy Bed with Sliding Doors

What is a Murphy bed? Is it just an American name for one that folds away into the wall?

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 13, 1:01 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 175,763
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Re: Murphy Bed with Sliding Doors

Yes.

Murphy bed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment