LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 9th, 13, 12:54 pm   #1
Phoe
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 4,488
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: United Kingdom-Glasgow
Horizontal Kitchen Wall Cabinet (Faktum)

Hi

There are two different ways I'd like to alter this cabinet - on two different cabinets.
FAKTUM Wall cab horizontal w glass door - Ståt off-white, 70x40 cm - IKEA

The first for in my kitchen, I'm hoping is fairly simply. Instead of using a 70 x 40cm cabinet I'm hoping to switch it for a 70 x 30cm cabinet, I'll probably dispense with the central glass shelf. The reason for this is I have a sloping ceiling where I want to put it. I'm hoping to use a rubrik glass door that will still open horizontally. It will go near my sink and dishwasher and hoping to use it for most of my crockery. Do you think this would be possible?

The second in my office area, I want to mount it to the wall above a large alex drawer unit, and mount the door so it opens like bureau. Using hardware such as this Left Hand Bureau Stay / Soft Opening Stay - From Eurofit Direct I think perhaps I need additional support underneath that would pull out. I would probably use an applad door or similar. There is a 5.5kg cat who might see this opened lid as the perfect place to sit and watch me work, I would of course discourage him but we don't always see eye to eye on these matters! So I need the lid to be able to survive the shock of cat jumping up onto it or perhaps the hinges could give, tip the lid and discourage him from doing that again - without breaking anything! I'd try to not lean on it myself but I'm not always obedient, I'd use the top cabinet for a place to put my laptop and the lid would great for paintbrushes and papers while I'm working at a drawing board next to it (I'm a part-time illustrator and artist). I had thought about using a besta unit but think the faktum would be a better better fit for the space and drawers.

I'm not the handiest of people but am competent with a screwdriver and drill, don't currently have any power tools. I'd welcome any advice you have. Cheers.

Share |

Phoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 10th, 13, 11:01 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 216,772
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!
Re: Horizontal Kitchen Wall Cabinet (Faktum)

Welcome to IKEAFANS, Phoe.

Considering you've said this: "I'm not the handiest of people but am competent with a screwdriver and drill, don't currently have any power tools", the best advice I can give you is to not attempt either of these projects.

In order to change the diemnsions of your first cabinet, you're going to need some sort of power saw - at an absolute minimum, you'd need a jig saw to even attempt this, with barely passable results at best. And then there's the whole issue of resizing the door - there is no way (as in, can't be done, with any kind of tool) to do that to the Rubrik glass doors.

With regard to the second cabinet, the "stay" will work to hold the door in an open, level position, but it's not intended to bear a lot of weight, and the Applad doors aren't going to hold screws under a lot of pressure. If you can figure out a way to support the door from underneath (perhaps by mounting the cabinet right on top of the Alex drawer unit, so the door opens on to the top of the Alex, that would help.

One thing to note - there is a hinge shown in the bottom right corner of your link. That is another type of specialty hinge which opens to allow the door and cabinet to stay tight and aligned, and is not designed to carry a lot of weight. It is not available as a separate item from IKEA, and requires even more specialized tools and skill to install than anything else you've contemplated to this point.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 13, 4:54 am  
IKEA FAN

Thank you for your advice. Chuck I find it quite odd you advise me not to attempt these. Surely to try is to learn and everyone has to start somewhere. Perhaps I misrepresented myself, I had to occasionally use a bandsaw among other equipment as part of my university course but always hated it. I've also used bench and hand held jigsaws in the past, I don't like them either I find them shaky and difficult to control.

On the kitchen cabinet, there is no need to alter the door I would buy an additional 30x70cm door which is already available as a normal wall cabinet. I assumed perhaps wrongly there would be an equivalent cabinet in the US. For cutting down 3 bits of chipboard or hardboard, I'm sure I could use a handsaw. My concern would if the horizontal hinges that Ikea supplies are too long to fit a shorter door ~12". I'm not sure how the hinge plates are attached to the rubrik door - if it's possible to move them. I would prefer a modern glass door. It's probably going to be 2 years before I can afford to redo the kitchen but am planning it now, I guess I shouldn't set my heart on a particular doorstyle. I really just want to know if this would be possible.

For the bureau, (is this what you would call it?) those flush hinges are also available from the same site, Drop Down Lid Hinge - Bureau Hinge - from Eurofit Direct sorry I had thought that was obvious. I realise of course I will have to somehow gauge out material to use this type of flush hinge - which I'm not really too bothered about using but it would be nice. I think I would also need to fill in the hole for the hingeplate that Ikea uses. The hardware I'm finding in my internet searches is quite limited so I think I must be searching with wrong words. What would you call these things?

I have since found this Automatic opening drop down lid stay, 355 mm version It specifies it's for a slightly shorter door and can hold almost a whole cat. It's the only one I've seen that specifies a weight it can hold.

The pull out support underneath I had imagined - I have no idea what it's called. Here's an image of what I mean on an older bureau. This is the part I am most unsure of.

I have since talked my dad about it, he doesn't seem to think it would be required - he likes woodworking but lives far away, we have crossed wires before in describing things on the phone. My parents have an older bureau, though most of their furniture seems to be from 70s. It's hardwood and has a shallower door and isn't supported from underneath it had 2 hinges and 2 brass curved stays or guides . I'm sure my brother and I used to lean on it despite being told not to, I don't ever remember it breaking, perhaps this is clouding both mine and my dad's judgement.

I've also realised I'll need some sort of catch, probably magnetic to hold the thing closed. I had imagined a push and it opens mechanism, might this be possible?

At least with applad or I could use harlig, the door is fairly cheap so if I make a big mistake I can get another one. Less easy with the faktum frame.

Share |
Old Feb 11th, 13, 10:58 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 189,558
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: Cyprus-Verginas
I've been blogged!

Hi

The 2 main differences between Faktum and Akurum Is that Faktum is metric and the cabinets hang directly on the wall and Akurum is Imperial and hangs off a suspension rail mainly due to differences in house construction.

For your first bit of project I gather that you are just looking to hang a 70x30 cupboard sideways. The problem that you will have is that you will need to accurately measure and make holes for the hinge brackets and also for one wall mount.

It also means that you will have and extra hole in the back of the cupboard for the vertical mounting hole that you wont be using. As you say that you aren't going to have a shelf there is no need for you to make holes for them.

You will need to make yourself templates to make sure that you have the holes in the right place - you should be able to use sides and backs of other cupboards to help with this.

Other than than this it should be fairly straightforward.

As to your second part of the project I am afraid that you are on your own with that one as I would not wish to attempt that due to the issues with the weight.

Share |
bigredbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 13, 5:10 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't realised you just attach cabinets to straight to the wall. That means you don't really get a choice of where put to the screws in the wall, the suspension rail seems to me to be a better idea. The initial idea was to just use a normal 70x30cm wall cabinet on it's side. It would be easier and cheaper. But upon further consideration and looking at the instructions I think it would be better to use a horizontal cabinet with the sides and back cut down, so that the base of the cabinet is designed as a base and not a side especially considering how much crockery can weigh. After looking at the instructions, I have more confidence I would be able to do that.

Share |
Old Feb 11th, 13, 5:20 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 32,550
Gallery: 14
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Yes, you would absolutely need to start with a carcass that is intended for horizontal hanging, NOT a standard vertical carcass, for exactly the reasons you state.

Share |
Old Feb 13th, 13, 3:43 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thanks.

I'm still planning to go ahead with the bureau plan. I'm desperate for storage on that wall. If it works a flip down lid would be amazing but if it doesn't, a doorless frame would be a big improvement.

Share |

Comment

Tags
bureau , horizontal cabinet , modification