Old Feb 5th, 07, 5:26 pm   #1
danirebar
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 37
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Akurum
What's under the floor cabinets?

Hi all. I've been having fun today at work looking at all the great photos of various kitchen projects. I feel so inspired to start ripping out our ugly old oak cabinets! I've seen several pics of new flooring being installed only up to the edge of the front of the cabinets and what looks like some white floor covering under the cabinets? Wouldn't you want to install the new flooring first and put the cabinets on top? There may be a good explanation for not doing it this way...someone enlighten me. Thanks.

Share |

danirebar is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 5th, 07, 5:45 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 13,550
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Doorstyle: Fagerland

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I think it usually boils down to flooring being kind of expensive. You do always want to have some sort of same-level flooring material at least underneath all of the appliances so that they can be slid in and out for service...if you just put new flooring in front of them they will be stuck behind the "lip".

Share |
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 07, 5:59 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,740
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Ro is correct, it's usually a cost issue. However, if you have the option, placing flooring throughout first is usually the best option. However, if you are installing tile, you may run into leveling issues because of the unevenness of the surface, and if you're installing wood you may want some other material under the fridge, range and dishwasher because of potential water and heat damage.

You should install your appliances so they can easily be removed later, whether you raise them up on blocks or install a sheet of plywood or some other mechanism. Additionally, if you install your cabinets on the subfloor and then install the flooring you may find your countertop is a bit too low to get the dishwasher under it.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 07, 6:18 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 37
Doorstyle: Akurum
Thanks for the quick responses

Good to know that it's preferable to put flooring down first. It looks a little strange to not have your flooring continue under raised cabinets!

Share |
danirebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 07, 6:36 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
I'm guessing you're talking about us We didn't install our floor under the cabinets for several reasons.

1. We hadn't decided on what we were going to install besides it being laminate

2. A laminate or floating floor is better if it isn't locked down. The cabinets would lock it down

3. The toekick will cover the seam and if we ever change our minds on what we have it will be easy to replace it.

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 07, 6:54 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 13,550
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Doorstyle: Fagerland

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Right! It may not have been obvious from our replies that the lack of flooring WILL NOT show once you add toekick. I don't think that anyone would advocate leaving some areas "unfloored" if you were going to use exposed legs.

Share |
fisheggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 07, 6:58 pm  

iKarma: 40,050
Gallery: 34
My IKEA: USA-West Sacramento
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
My flooring guys said the floor is the LAST thing which should be installed... I didn't push them on that - I know that they said the cabinets should go in first -and the flooring isn't installed under the cabs, dw or stove ... it is installed under the fridge.

People generally either install the flooring first - or last ... and most have a strong opinion.

Doreen

Share |

IKEAFANS Needs Your Help - Right NOW
dafogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 07, 7:50 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,751
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Doreen, in my experience floor guys say that so the floors don't get scuffed. Cabinet guys say the other way so the toe kicks don't. Good news for ikea folks, cause our toe kicks can be done after flooring. Ahhhh, the best of both worlds!

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment