Go Back   IKEA FANS > Welcome to IKEAFANS > Introductions
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

Comment

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 21st, 07, 10:16 am   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
damonnoisette
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
Greetings from Jacksonville, FL

My quick introduction:

Hello all. I'm Damon in Jacksonville, FL.

My wife and I bought an 82-year-old house in a historic area and we're in the process of bringing it back from years of slumlord abuse and half-baked construction projects. We've filled 8 Dumpsters with plaster, lath, drywall, termite-damaged wood, lead-painted wood, and other debris. It's been a real adventure

While the exterior of the house has to stay "period" we have dreams of a semi-modern (read: not so modern it's not useful) home and IKEA figures largely into that plan.

We will install an IKEA kitchen -- AKURUM & ADEL Medium Brown, LANSA handles -- over an APC Cork floor (iFloor.com). We'll have Caesarstone countertops.

It looks like our bathrooms may end up with IKEA cabinets as well, but I'll post my harebrained ideas for that in the appropriate forum.

I look forward to sharing ideas with everyone!

Share |

damonnoisette is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 21st, 07, 2:59 pm   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view.

iKarma: 40,050
Gallery: 34
My IKEA: USA-West Sacramento
Doorstyle: Adel Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
Re: Greetings from Jacksonville, FL

Hi Damon and welcome to IKEAFANS!! Sounds like you've really got a big project on your hands... post away - you're sure to get lots of ideas and suggestions here. Many have used IKEA's kitchen cabinets in bathrooms - including using them for the bathroom sinkbase/vanity.

Looking forward to hearing more about your kitchen and bathrooms ... we love photos - and feel free to create a blog here - they are wonderful for tracking progress.

Doreen

Share |

IKEAFANS Needs Your Help - Right NOW
dafogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 07, 9:16 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,158
Gallery: 102

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Hi Damon, and welcome!

I'm looking forward to reading more about your projects. If you'd like to post photos, there is a "Upload to Gallery" link just below the smilies; very simple.

Best wishes,
Gloria

Share |
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 07, 9:50 am  
IKEA FAN

I'll post some pictures as soon as we get our cork floors down and pine ones refinished. That comes after drywall, which in turn comes after insulation ...Ack!

So much to do!

Share |
Old Jun 27th, 07, 11:08 pm  
IKEA FAN

Hello neighbor. I too live in Jax and am a new IKEAfan.com member. I have furnished my entire office with IKEA and am slowly introducing my home to more every day. I recently renovated my 1926 bathroom with an IKEA cabinet and lighting. Next stop kitchen. Now if I could just get my hands on some of those cool plastic patio chairs they used to sell that I should have bought when I saw them in Chicago a few years back my deck would be complete. Countdown to the new Tampa IKEA very soon!

Share |
lesismore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 07, 11:22 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 409
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Doorstyle: Tidaholm

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Damon & Les,
Welcome, Floridians! I'm in Tallahassee.

Did you know that an IKEA is supposed to open in Orlando this fall? I'm looking forward to that one
since I have a sister that lives down there and Orlando is close to where my parents live, too.

I've purchased my IKEA cabinets for the kitchen, baths and laundry through IKEA Direct since the Atlanta IKEA could not be bothered to return calls to accept payment for a completed order.

With the roof now finished, it should not be too long before we're ready to start assembling the cabinets and installing everything!

Share |
woodswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 07, 12:27 am  
IKEA FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswell View Post
Damon & Les,
Welcome, Floridians! I'm in Tallahassee.

Did you know that an IKEA is supposed to open in Orlando this fall? I'm looking forward to that one
since I have a sister that lives down there and Orlando is close to where my parents live, too.

I've purchased my IKEA cabinets for the kitchen, baths and laundry through IKEA Direct since the Atlanta IKEA could not be bothered to return calls to accept payment for a completed order.

With the roof now finished, it should not be too long before we're ready to start assembling the cabinets and installing everything!
We're also looking forward to the Orlando store opening. I'm sure we didn't get everything we needed for our Adel MB kitchen from Ikea Direct (also).

Congratulations on your progress. I actually followed a link from IKEAfans to your site and made it one of my favorite blogs . We're also big fans of green -- and smart -- construction and I really covet your ICF walls!

If you want to see our project check out our somewhat recently updated blog: The Noisettes

Tomorrow we order our cork floors from iFloor.com!

Share |
Old Jun 28th, 07, 9:20 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Thanks! I desperately need to update my blog and the house build photos on my website. But I've had a case of the blahs the last few weeks.

They finished our roof Monday, we got the missing window today and the framers finished the siding. So now the painter can finish painting the exterior, the drywallers can get started and we can move on! YEAH!

Although I'd love to say we're building green, we're really trying to build the best structure we can so the house will last as long as possible. And one of my main goals is to not have to do any major maintenance on the house for the rest of my life.

ICF walls, foam insulation, metal roof, Hardie plank siding, Azek trim, vinyl windows - you get the drift. Some of the interior stuff may not last as long, but that is easier to replace. The floors, though, will be tile and locally grown and milled pine, so they will outlast us.

Maybe this weekend I will catch up on posting pictures!

Now back to IKEA stuff - I am working on figuring out what I forgot to order to get our cabinets in so I can do another order. There is sure to be more, but if I have the frames and the cover panels, I should be OK on everything else, at least until the Orlando store opens.

Share |
Old Jul 8th, 07, 2:06 pm  
IKEA FAN

I hear the Tampa store will open before the Orlando IKEA. Perhaps it is a bit more centrally located? Either way I am happy to have a store in state! I'll be attending the opening either way.

Share |
lesismore64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 07, 11:27 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesismore64 View Post
I hear the Tampa store will open before the Orlando IKEA. Perhaps it is a bit more centrally located? Either way I am happy to have a store in state! I'll be attending the opening either way.
IKEA still does not list an upcoming store for Tampa, though they do for Orlando and Sunrise .

Hmmm, here is what I find as far as news reports:
Quote:
Monday, March 26, 2007 Ikea coming to Tampa

From The Tampa Tribune
TAMPA – Swedish retailer IKEA today plans to announce that it will build a store in Tampa. It would be the third Florida location for the seller of assemble-it-yourself furniture. Construction of the store may begin next spring, with the opening tentatively set for the summer of 2009, according to a press release. IKEA earlier announced plans for a 310,000-square-foot store at the Mall at Millenia in Orlando. That store is to open this fall.

Share |

Comment

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/introductions/7814-greetings-jacksonville-fl.html
Posted By For Type Date
CaesarStone: Blogs, Photos, Videos and more on Technorati This thread Refback Jun 23rd, 07 9:03 am

Subscribe to IKEA News in Your Inbox:

Email:

Featured Kitchen Contractors

Recent Directory Listings

• iKitchens, Etc.
    We are the premier IKEA Kitchen Installer in Massachusetts. Our company offers complete in-house design service followed by an impeccable installation.
  • Semihandmade
    Custom. IKEA. Doors. The idea for Semihandmade came from a desire to offer the same craftsmanship we produce in our Los Angeles-based Handmade studio to a wider audience, at a lower price.
  • Our House, LLC
    Our House ‘takes the pain’ out of the design and installation process by providing hassle-free service every step of the way. Serving CT and the greater NYC area.
Help an IKEAFAN - Find Threads with Zero Replies