No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Apr 15th, 08, 2:18 pm   #1
cherylallismom
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:North York
Side cover panels for slide in range?

I'm going to install a GE slide in range (electric) between standard lower cabinets. Someone told me I should order cabinet cover panels to put on each side of the slide in range because the unfinished sides are going to stick out past the front edge of the cabinets and be visible (black unfinished metal sides, white cabinets = yuck). Looking at the stove in the store, now I think he's right. Has anyone installed a GE slide in range? Do you need a cabinet panel to extend past the front of the cabinets on each side (basically to right under the edge of the counter) to hide the ugly unfinished black metal sides?

Similar problem with OTR micro. Looks like it is going to stick out nearly 3 inches in front of upper cabinets. This means....more ugly black unfinished metal. Someone said put 15 inch deep upper above micro, with side panels, then step back to regular 12 inch upper on each side, but mirco install instructions specifically say 13 inch deep max for upper above. Sigh. So again stuck with unfinished black metal side sticking out? That just can't be right!

HELP!!! Install just days away with no such panels ordered. I'll have to reorder at least one cabinet too, in a smaller size, as two layers of side panels will eat up linear space that I don't have to spare!

Share |

cherylallismom is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 15th, 08, 9:06 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!
Re: Side cover panels for slide in range?

Hi, and welcome!

Best bet is to find your range installation specs. I'm guessing it's like ours in having a narrow bit of side material at the front edge, and I'm also guessing that it's mainly the door that will extend beyond the cab depth: because that's how our slide in works and I can't imagine there's a lot of difference...

Good luck!

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 08, 7:46 am  
IKEA FAN

Unfortunately the specs for the stove only give the total depth for the unit (including handle) and don't define what portion is behind and in front of the cabinets.

This stove has a very thin "low profile" type edge on the door. It looks like maybe a half inch of stainless, and then the rest of the door is sort of inside the oven opening. So if you look at the side of the uninstalled unit you see a half inch of stainless edging on the door and then the very unfinished looking black steel.

The installation specs don't mention anything, except buying optional side panels if it will be installed not between cabinets.

Share |
Old Apr 16th, 08, 1:04 pm  

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 

I've been blogged!

What model is it? Ours (jenn-air) has only a slim strip too and it works fine.

Share |
Old Apr 16th, 08, 1:11 pm  
IKEA FAN

This is the stove

http://www.geappliances.ca/jsp/ge_Fe...9&product_id=7

The picture isn't much use though, because you can't see from the side, and the picture is also quite dark.

I just went to Sears at lunch time and looked at it. There is a plastic lip sort of thing that covers the front edge of the counter where the range sits. The counter butts up behind the lip. The door of the oven, with its maybe half inch stainless edge, is along the same vertical line. So if the front edge of the counter is standard 25 5/8, and the cabinets with door closed are about 24 1/2, that leaves almost an inch of the unfinished side of the stove showing, from what I can see.

Likewise with the micros. I measured one. Its almost 15 inches to the edge of the door, with unfinished steed behind that. But the cabinets are only about 13 inches with the door. So that leaves 2 inches of unfinished black steel - and some assembly screws - showing.

I don't get why this stuff is made like this!!

Share |
Old Apr 16th, 08, 2:09 pm  

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Your link didn't work but looking at the installation specs (see product documentation) for GE Profile slide-ins at GE Model List Electric Cooking_Slide-In Ranges
they look the same as mine and I had no trouble. It's a bit hard to understand but in the end, it works. Surely someone here has one of these and can confirm but I think it will be fine .

Share |
Old May 24th, 08, 11:59 am  
IKEA FAN

We did the same with a GE slide in in our kitchen with Kalsebo cupboards and I don't believe we had sides on it. It was fine. You couldn't see anything.

Share |
30's Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 08, 4:52 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,249
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Help: Side cover panels for drop- in range?

We are about to install an inherited Whirlpool drop-in stove in middle of our Nexus birch peninsula. We were sold "oven panels" theoretically to put on sides of the stove. Do I attach these to the base cabinets on either side?

I'm assuming I'll cover the back side of the peninsula, so these panels won't show there, but do we bring them forward to edge of cabinets on either side of the front of the stove??

I understand that these are there to insulate cabinets against stove (and hence the thicker panels?) I'm confused tho as to why one would need something so "decorative" (Nexus birch cover panel) and expensive when nothing is showing except outer strips on either side of stove.

Am I thinking through this correctly?

HEEELP!!

Thanks,

Terri

Share |
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 08, 5:18 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,208
Gallery: 102

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

They are called oven panels because the are used on the front of a high oven cabinet. A hole is cut for the oven and the panel surrounds it.

The oven panels are also used for the backs of islands/peninsulas because they are big and nicely finished.

They don't have any additional insulative properties than the base cabinets that I know of. Insulation is provided in the stove/oven installed with the proper clearances as specified by the manufaturer.

HTH
Gloria

Share |

Comment