Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Mar 7th, 06, 12:24 pm   #1
car_doc
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 90
Gallery: 0
I am finishing up! 11 cabinets mounted, appliances in place, walls painted, electrical run, etc. The last bit is the plumbing and venting.

I got the 36" vent hood from Ikea since my stove is 40" wide. Unfortunatelythevent hood exhaust pieceappears to be too TALL for my space. It comes with two pieces that telescope so they are adjustable. But the "reduced ceiling height" install instructions say to use the 26" tall single vent piece alone as a minimum. When added to the ~10" hood itself, that's nearly3 feet down from the ceiling. My ceilings are 8 feet, thus the bottom edgle of the hood is 5 feet off the ground and I'm six feet tall! In addition to being inconvenient, its lower than the recommended 30-36"above the cooktop that the instructions specify. Did I miss a requirement for greater than 9 foot ceilings in the Ikea literature?

I'm planning on cutting the vertical piece with a hacksaw to make it fit about 34" above the cooktop. Anybody else with any experience in this?

Share |

car_doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 7th, 06, 1:03 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 110
My IKEA: USA-New York:Paramus
Car Doc!!! I apologize that I don't have any suggestions to solve your problem, but am I correct in assuming this post means that you have one of the chimney-style LUFTIG hoods? If so...any chance you might be able to answer these questions for me?

-- How much electricity does the hood require?
-- Does the source of electricity for the hood enter through the top? (Meaning, is it possible for the wiring to come through the ceiling, or does it need to go through the wall?)

If you could scan the instruction booklet, that would be extra cool.

Share |
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 06, 5:37 pm  
IKEA FAN

The 36" Luftig Hood is a straighforward installation if you are comfortable with hanging cabinets on the wall AND wiring electical outlets

It requires a 110v (15 or 20amp) circuit ( ie a run-of-the-mill circuit like your outlets, not your electric range).The manual recommends putting it on a separate circuit but my local electrical code does not require that. Given that the fan doesn't draw much current and runs only intermittently, it could be placed on the same circuit as other kitchen appliances. Itmust behardwired, not plugged in.

The electrical supply can penetrate the wall anywhere within a 7" wide swath running from 16" above the bottom of the hood all the way up to the ceiling. It can also come from the ceiling in that 7" wide by about 8" deep area covered by the chimney. You'll need to mount an electrical box in the wall or ceiling and run conduit out to the vent. The conduitthen shares this chimney with a 6" vent pipe but there's lots of space. The conduit then terminates in an electrical box on the fan -- a conduit connector and a couple of wire nuts finish it off.

If you're not comfortable with household wiring,mount the fan on the wall and then hire someone to do theelectrical.On the other hand, if you can wire an outlet or a lightswitch (without electrocuting yourself:shock, go for it.

Share |
Old Mar 7th, 06, 9:12 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 110
My IKEA: USA-New York:Paramus
Thank you SO much, this is exactly what I needed to know. I'm having an electrician do the work, but we want to make sure the hood is a possibility before we buy the thing. It's going on a solid wall that doesn't have any studs (it's just plaster, concrete, lathe, and brick), so if the wiring can't go through the ceiling we can't do it at all.

Did you figure out how to deal with the height of the thing? I personally would assume it needs to be cut down.

Share |
anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 06, 12:19 am  
IKEA FAN

Glad to help. The ceiling will definitely work per the manual. A minor correction to my earlier post: I could not remember the exact depth of the chimney so I said "about 8" deep -- in fact, the manual lists that space on the ceiling for potential wire and vent outlets as 7" wide by 6 1/4" deep. Still, it should work for you without difficulty.

It comes with a template so you'll know where to anchor it to the wall. However, the manual also says "IMPORTANT: at least two of the screws must be installed into wood." My walls are rocklath (really thick plaster with a sort of coathanger structure instead of wood lath) and thus I had to use molly-bolts instead -- there's no wood anywhere. Despite their warning, the install went fine.

It's definitely a harder install than your typical IKEA piece -- its not as cleverly designed and thought out-- which makes sense since it's really made by whirlpool and just sold by IKEA.

As for my ceiling height issue, I will clearly have to cut down the chimney piece. I don't have much experience cutting sheetmetal, however. Due to the way the chimney slips into the hood, my cut will have to clean and straight with less than 1/8" margin for error or it will show. I suppose a straightedge, a pencil, and a hacksaw with a new blade will do the trick - I hope so as I'll only have one shot at it...

Share |
Old Aug 6th, 09, 10:40 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 193
Re: Ikea/Whirlpool Vent Hood Installation

We are having the same problem with the height of the hood and needing to cut it to size. Would love to hear what you ended up doing and what worked/didn't work. Thanks!

Share |
Agustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 12, 5:59 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 160
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Re: Ikea/Whirlpool Vent Hood Installation

We are remodeling and are getting ready to drywall. This is the hood we are planning on getting as well. When sketching out our elevations, we ran into the same problem with our 8' celings versus the minimum vent length. We plan on installing the hood at 6' and letting the remaining vent tube go up into the attic. We built a box above the ceiling in that area incase we have to hang it, but if the unit hangs on the wall there should be no issues. It was easier in our situation since there is currently no ceiling, so access is a lot nicer.

If I'm missing something with that installation, please let me know. I still have time to pick another hood.

Share |
juvatj is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment