IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 130
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Linjar Blue

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Question Thickness of quartz countertop?

What should I be thinking about (apart from the look) in considering the thickness of the kitchen countertop? I'm looking at Caesarstone, and it comes in 1/2", 3/4", or 1-1/4". Advice? Experience? I think I prefer the skinnier look. Thanks.

Share |

MLS99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 19th, 07, 11:59 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 1,253
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Burbank
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Re: Thickness of quartz countertop?

Our Silestone is 1 1/2" if you want to take a look at the photos in my blog to see how it looks at that thickness.

Share |
MonicaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 07, 3:25 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 130
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Linjar Blue

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 

Thanks, Monica. What a stunning kitchen you have. How's the Jenn-Air fridge? I'm planning to get the same one in stainless steel.

Share |
MLS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 07, 9:11 am  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 466
Gallery: 5
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Abstrakt White (gave up on Nexus BB)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

We have the 1-1/4 Caesarstone -- you can see pictures in my gallery. I would've liked it twice as thick!

Share |
greenie227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 07, 10:23 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 14

Don't go twice as thick imo . We installed 2.5" thick Caesarstone with a laminate edging (which is alot more expensive) and ended up not liking it. Rather than making our kitchen seem light and airy, the thickness made everything look so bulky. Thank goodness our contractors messed up twice installing it and they removed it on their own dime. We started all over with granite and are much happier.
Make sure you read up on Caesarstone as I know from experience it really isn't as they advertise it. It does scratch, it does stain, and many have noted that the finish has lost it's luster after months of use.
Also, 1 1/4 is standard stock. Anything smaller is special order and will take longer to get.
Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0675.JPG (58.5 KB, 421 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0677.JPG (65.5 KB, 360 views)

Share |
joeclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 07, 7:22 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 1,253
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Burbank
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions

Hey, thanks for the compliment! I love the fridge. The one thing I will say is if I had a big family it would not be the right fridge to have. The freezer space is great for a few people but on the flipside it's one of the most energy efficient fridges I found.

I saw a 3" Caesarstone edge in a showroom and I totally and completely loved it so I think it really depends on the person's own personal taste. I personally would not use granite but that doesn't mean it isn't the bee's knees to someone else. Corny phrasing I know.

Share |
MonicaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 07, 12:10 am  
IKEA FAN

Gallery: 14

If you do go with the thicker look that is called a laminated edging. Be very careful who you choose to fabricate it. Very few companies know how to do this right. Most will "stack" it which is basically sandwiching two pieces together to give it the appearance that it is thick. This creates a large seam down the middle. The correct way to do this is to "mitre" the two pieces together which basically joins them together at the corner like a picture frame. This is the proper and clean way to do it as seen on the Caesarstone website.
You need to specify it is done this way, but need to find a company willing to do it.

Also, because it is thicker, wood will be placed under them and they will be raised higher than standard. As a result you will have to set the cabinets lower than average to make up for the difference to get a standard countertop height.

Share |

Last edited by joeclothing; Nov 21st, 07 at 12:16 am..
joeclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 07, 11:43 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 150
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Round Rock
Doorstyle: Adel, Medium Brown

I sell residential real estate, including my own rehab'd homes, and I can tell you that you will defintely hurt your resale value if you go with anything less than 3cm or 1 1/4" thick. Buyers know that it is cheaper to go thinner and will start discounting your list price when the see that.

I personally like Caesarstone and Cambria because they sell a 3cm thick slab that does not require lamination (versus something like Silestone). Lamination is OK *if* it is done well but it's something I avoid unless I want an edge profile thicker than 3cm. Another nice feature of Caesarstone is that they can actually bend it (I've seen it used for a waterfall effect coming from a bar, down as a backsplash, and then to the countertop--no lamination, no seams).

Share |
Brutacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 07, 11:52 pm  
IKEA FAN

Gallery: 0

LBG Adoptions

Your post says "other than appearence". If you are only asking about structural integrety use what ever thickness you need to get the appearence your want. The product warranty will cover any thickness installed by aproved installers.

They will use a subsurface to build up the thickness. There are several choices they may use to get the visible edge look you want. Ask to see examples before you choose the edge you want.

Don't listen to non-professionals who tell you that it is the best or the worst product on the market. Check with installers who do all types of product, check Consumer Reports and don't forget to check with your insurance agent.

Its your kitchen. Go for the look you want.

Share |
Ikea in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 07, 10:22 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 2,665
Gallery: 208
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Linjär Blue,Avsikt/Bath: Nexus Brown-Black/Office: Nexus Yellow-Brown/Bedroom: PAX Stordal

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutacus View Post
II personally like Caesarstone and Cambria because they sell a 3cm thick slab that does not require lamination (versus something like Silestone). Lamination is OK *if* it is done well but it's something I avoid unless I want an edge profile thicker than 3cm.
That is not correct. Silestone comes in 2 and 3cm thick slabs without lamination. I have 3cm Silestone counters (~1 1/4"), I did think the 2cm slabs looked too thin for my kitchen.

Share |
MiamiBeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment