No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Oct 25th, 09, 9:47 pm   #1
roshi
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 525
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Cincinnati:West Chester
Grundtal 3-Spotlights stopped working

I have a problem! I installed the 3 Grundtal spotlights under my cabinets and hid the transformer behind the corner wall cabinet. Now the other day all three went out. I went and got new bulbs, replaced one, no change at all.
I checked them out with a voltage detector and all three lights still get power, but won't turn on. Any smart ideas before I start taking down the wall cabinet which I would rather not do.
Thanks a lot.
Roshi

Share |

Last edited by roshi; Oct 25th, 09 at 10:10 pm..
roshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 25th, 09, 7:13 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 120
My IKEA: Canada-Montreal:Saint Laurent
Thumbs down Re: Grundtal 3-Spotlights stoppen working

Hello,

I have the same problem, I have three set of 3 lights in my kitchen and some of the lights stop working from time to time.

They often come back ON when I tap on the side lightly but two of them won't come back ON...

let me know if you found something!

Share |
megagab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 09, 3:26 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 905
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Re: Grundtal 3-Spotlights stoppen working

Quote:
Originally Posted by megagab View Post
Hello,

I have the same problem, I have three set of 3 lights in my kitchen and some of the lights stop working from time to time.

They often come back ON when I tap on the side lightly but two of them won't come back ON...

let me know if you found something!
I too have been having this same problem. I've been wondering if there is a short somewhere, because I also find that the bulbs don't last as long as one would expect (I check the filament in the bulb itself to confirm that its actually blown and not the finicky power issue you have experienced which I also get).

How did you install them to the cabinet? Because of the thinness of my cabinets, I used some metal washers between the pucks and the cabinet so that pucks could be tight against the cabinet without the screw head poking out in the inside.

I've been trying to determine if the pucks depend on some sort of ground or connection between the light itself and the metal shell that you attach to the cabinet to work and thus maybe my washers are causing the short. When they did refuse to turn on but weren't blown, I often was able to get them to come back on by twisting the puck back and forth (similar to you "tapping").

I'm getting ready to redo our kitchen and while I like the look of these lights, I'm strongly leaning away from buying more.

Share |
fallenturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 10, 12:08 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 259

A am having the same issue. I have 4 sets of the GRUNDTAL spotlights and have replaced a number of bulbs. The bulbs do go on when I tap the lens, but after a few times of doing this the bulbs do eventually burn out. They are not aways the same bulbs either, and yes I do not touch the bulbs when replacing them.I have phoned Ikea and said they no nothing of this issue, but when buying the replacement bulbs, there is a number of occasions they are sold out. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Share |
Chaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 10, 8:59 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,172
My IKEA: United Kingdom-Edinburgh

I have the same problem - I have 2 sets of 3 and they have been fitted for about 16 months. If I tap them or sometimes twist the cover they come back on - I have had a problem with all of them -some more than others- it is very annoying. It must be some kind of problem within the puck not forming a reliable circuit -
So far I haven't had to buy new bulbs....
I think there is a fault with them and am thinking of getting on to Ikea about it...maybe they don't know about it because (like me) people don't get round to complaining to them?
I also am not impressed with the way the cover attaches to base...one small nudge and it falls off....(they are under counter lighting - so relatively easy to nudge by accident...)
I have a super sensitive RCD - (freaked the kitchen fitters out because they kept tripping the board even though the power in the kitchen was off) but these lights aren't tripping the board...
I have thought about replacing them but it would be a bit of a hassle..(.the wires are ducted behind the wall cupboards -so I would have to feed the new wire through and then use lighting that would also plug in - I have two sockets on the top of the cupboards which the transformers plug into - the sockets are controlled by the light switch..)

I think anyone else has this problem they should let Ikea know....

Fallenturtle - might be a bit late (and I might be misunderstanding you) but I shouldn't imagine your washers are causing a problem ...the metal shell attached to the cabinet shouldn't be exposed to any electrical current in any shape or form - otherwise there might be a risk of electric shock...

Share |
lusi83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25th, 11, 10:13 am  
IKEA FAN

Update on this
Phoned Ikea and was told that no one else has had a problem with them...
mentioned others obviously have had the same problem (this site!) but they said they sell thousands and there isn't a problem They will not record my complaint anywhere so if anyone else tells them the same thing unless it is the same person they won't know A bit poor I think...
Was in store yesterday and someone in the kitchen dept said it was because the bulb had blown slightly and tapping it made it reconnect... which is possible I guess ...although mine have done it from new -but I guess they could have been bashed during transport or something
Also I had one functioning bulb left and used it to check the other units ..all worked except one where I jiggled the wires and it did work ...I find it hard to believe a broken bulb could be pushed into 6 units and only not work in one...(and I was using bare fingers!) - and it is still working now...
Took one of the units to pieces to look for obvious weak connections etc and the wires are soldered to metal tabs which seem to be depended on 'spring' to make contact with the bulb terminals - I think this requirement might be the weak spot...but there would be no easy solution as the units are sealed and you have to damage them to get to the problem bit...
Anyway got new bulbs (and a replacement unit for the one I dismantled) and will see how I get on - might try bending the bulb connectors out a bit to see if that helps if I start to have problems again! (new bulbs and unit was cheaper than replacing the whole lot!)

Share |
Old Mar 9th, 11, 7:20 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 146
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise

Same Issue. Twisting the lens cover will get the lights to work for a bit, but certainly is not a permanent solution. The G4 bulbs are frequently sold out leading me to believe this is not an isolated issue.

I'll try another set. Maybe the defect rate is just on the high end?

Wonder if this is an issue with the NON lights? They take the same bulb.

FYI . G4 bulbs are available on-line from various places not just IKEA.

Share |
Rudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 11, 5:44 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 460
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton

Sadly as with the rest of you folks I am having the same issue. I have 2 sets of the 3 puck lights under the cabinets in my kitchen. Both sets have worked well for a little over a year.

All of a sudden about 2 weeks ago on one of the sets random lights would go out...I was able to do both the tapping and twisting motions mentioned by the rest of you folks and they would generally come back on. All of a sudden 2 days ago now all 3 pucks on that set of lights are out and WILL NOT come back on, no matter how much tapping or twisting I do. As with roshi did (first post) I also replaced all 3 bulbs to no avail....I know the transformer box has some sort of "automatic breaker" that is supposed to reset after approx. 5 minutes...does anyone know if there is a way to check it and make sure it's working or some other way to resolve the issue?

I agree also it sounds like IKEA really needs to hear about this issue if they are claiming there is no problem!

Share |
Med11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 11, 10:30 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 149
My IKEA: Canada-Montreal:Saint Laurent
Re: Grundtal 3-Spotlights stopped working

I have the exact same problem. 2 months after installation, all 3 lights went out, but easily came back on when I twisted the cap (a strange behavior). Now they are simply gone, and replacing the bulb does nothing! Shame on IKEA, both for the declining quality of products, and for the denial. (I'll try calling as well, but I have little hope this will help...)

What did all of you people do with your kitchen counter lighting? Did you replace it? With wich brand?

Thanks!

Share |
mjasmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 11, 4:09 am  
IKEA FAN

Just thought I'd update ...as my problem seems to have been solved! I have replaced all the bulbs -making sure they were a tight fit in the holders - slightly bending the prongs on the bulb out (gently!) and they were well pushed in. Then I checked the wiring into the transformers.
I unplugged the transformer!!!!! Safety First!!!
I removed the bigger cover - where you feed the lights in - the wires from the lights are connected in using a type of screw less connection (can't remember exactly how these work now - but I know it took me a little time to work it out -and I didn't like it because you can't see that the wire is making a good connection) Even though they all seemed fine - I undid and reconnected all 12 being very careful making sure each one was really well connected... And since then I haven't had a problem.... I would suggest trying the trick with the bulbs first - and obviously if you aren't confident with doing the wiring get an electrician in!

Share |

Comment