No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 24th, 07, 9:06 pm   #1
kirtexas
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 447
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Atlanta:Midtown
Deco strip to hide undercabinet lighting

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the deco strip trim along the bottom of the wall cabinets that hides the undercabinet lighting is necessary?

With the deco strip piece, the distance between the bottom of the strip and the countertop will be about 16" - less than what's recommended. Without the deco strip, I think it would be 18", but any undercabinet lights would show.

Do the undercabinet lights look bad when you can see them? I think we'll get them hardwired in, and I'm considering the hockey puck shaped lights.

Since the install isn't for a few weeks, I'm not sure if I want the deco strip now.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Share |

kirtexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 25th, 07, 12:30 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 937
Gallery: 15
Doorstyle: Nexus BB...and nothing has gone wrong with that plan...
Re: Deco strip to hide undercabinet lighting

There are some very nice, very thin profile puck lights you can get for under cabinets that wouldn't need to be hidden. I can't remember if Ikea has the very thin ones, but other lighting stores do. Might be worth checking those out.

Share |
lucrezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 1:22 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 2,715
Gallery: 208
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Linjär Blue,Avsikt/Bath: Nexus Brown-Black/Office: Nexus Yellow-Brown/Bedroom: PAX Stordal

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirtexas View Post
With the deco strip piece, the distance between the bottom of the strip and the countertop will be about 16" - less than what's recommended. Without the deco strip, I think it would be 18", but any undercabinet lights would show.
Is the minimum recommended height (which is usually 18" I think) supposed to be taken to the bottom of the cabinet, or the bottom of the deco strip?

Share |
MiamiBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:13 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!

Without:

And with:

Ours are xenon lights that look like fuses and I'm glad we have trim even though our cabinet clearance isn't as tall as recommended (I actually think we're at 16" with trim). I don't have a straight on one with the trim off but maybe with a prettier light case you could keep the trim off if it's important to you...

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 11:42 am  
IKEA FAN

Thanks for posting the pictures, stacylu. Since the deco strip only gives you 16" between it and the countertop, do you find that that is enough space?

Currently, some of our 1950s cabinets are so low, that I think we have 10 inches! We had to look hard for a coffeemaker that would fit in that space!

Thanks for sharing.

Share |
Old Jun 25th, 07, 1:46 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!

We don't leave our appliances out except for the toaster but the coffee maker doesn't fit beneath our cabinets. When we need it it's beside the cabinets under the window. The paper towel holder is a little snug and otherwise we haven't had a problem - or maybe we're just used to it? Now 10" and we might notice!

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 4:02 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 579
Gallery: 248
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Adel Medium Brown & Avsikt

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Hi Kirtexus,

Do you have the option of installing your cabinets higher? We're removing a soffit in our kitchen as part of our remodel. The current clearance--without a light valance--is about 13". Drives me crazy.

If you're going with slim puck lights, cabinets look fine (even great) without the valance. If you want fluorescent, the thinnest available are 1" thick.

Also, nothing says that you have to use the full thickness of the valance. You can trim it down to 1 inch, if you need to.

Good luck!

E

Share |
erikakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 07, 4:29 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 649

Stacylu – Plugmold & Xenon strips! That’s what I wanted! I’ll have to wait for the next house for Plugmold but I still might get the strips! Which ones do you have? Any recommendations, tips, trick, things to watch out for??? Do you have yours on a dimmer? If so – what did you use? Where is your transformer?

Share |
Jeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 07, 8:16 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 166
Gallery: 4
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Nexus BB, if the IKEA gods smile upon me

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I've been blogged!

I have the Xenon strips from Lowes and they look surprisingly nice without the deco strip, so I've decided to let them be shown. My electrician did a good job spacing them nicely and I have a modern kitchen so they fit right in.

Share |
ikeafan60657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 07, 7:39 am  
IKEA FAN

Thanks for the Lowe's tip! I've been reading up on Xenon vs. Halogen lights. I'm going to have a look - we're definitely going for a modern kitchen - modern retro.

Would you be able to post a picture of your lights from Lowe's?

Thanks again!

Share |

Comment