Old Aug 26th, 07, 3:56 pm   #1
Narf
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 17,440
Gallery: 60
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Covina
Doorstyle: Avsikt/Kalsebo

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
Pragel countertops - a minor review on the new lineup.

Just got a few "samples" of the new Pragel countertops from the AS-IS ... here's my take on them:

- The new double-eased edge treatment (1st pic ) is very nice. If there's one thing about the old Pragel countertop's demi-bullnose edge treatment, it's the sharp lower edge and seam tends chip and peel if impacted, not to mention the design is like a give-away for being a laminate surface.
- The new laminate wraps completely around the front edge to the underside, where it is then covered by a clear moisture barrier strip (4th pic). On an installed countertop, one would notice the same surface, not an brown laminate.
- Unlike the old, the rest of the underside is not a smooth laminate. I would recommend more protection over a dishwasher.

As for the color selection ... gone are beech effect, grey stone effect, and white marble effect.

- White ... just like the old, it's basic and it's functional. No promises of being anything more than that.
- Black stone effect ... same as the old. Offers some style, but too little variation to be convincing. (See bottom in 3rd pic.)
- Walnut ... nice dark shaded wood, but like the old beech effect, the surface is too smooth otherwise to be convincing. (See middle in 3rd pic.)
- Brown stone effect ... this one looks to be a winner. There is enough color variation to look like a natural stone, and the slightly textured surface offers muted reflectections so it doesn't scream "plastic!". (See the top in 3rd pic and 2nd pic for a complete view.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0038.JPG (68.8 KB, 901 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0040.JPG (141.2 KB, 816 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0041.JPG (95.4 KB, 914 views)
File Type: jpg 101_0042.JPG (57.8 KB, 788 views)

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.

Narf is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Aug 27th, 07, 1:11 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 388
Gallery: 1
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Carson

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Re: Pragel countertops - a minor review on the new lineup.

Great info, thanks. Glad to see the double eased edges....you're right, it does look much better. We could've used that since we have some delamination, after just 1 yr, over the dishwasher.

My problem with the pragel was the 8' length limits. Are they offered in longer lengths now? I'd hate to think of how much it would weigh though.....

Share |
kingjosiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 07, 1:22 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Still 4'/6'/8' nominal lengths.

What I think they need more than offering longer lengths, though, is a better transitional strip. Their still current solution of the aluminum strip is pretty clunky IMHO .

Share |
Please note that all advice, information, and layouts provided by forum members on this site was done on a voluntary basis and out of kindness of their hearts. If you appreciate the help you received, please support this site and donate to keep it going.
Old Jan 7th, 08, 7:59 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 4,376
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Doorstyle: Akurum/Abstrakt/Nexus

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

We are planning on using Applad or Adel (which one who knows) for a small condo reno in Florida. I don't recall but does Ikea have a white stone effect (not pure white) laminate top that utilizes the rolled edge? How does it look?

Also, did Ikea distribute a Kitchen catalogue this year? My Ikea doesn't have one.

Share |
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 08, 8:52 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

None such in the Pragel lineup ... there used to be (2+ years ago) some in the Numerar lineup, but those have squared edges.

As for a catalog ... yes, there is one. Somewhere around here is a link to an online version of it too ...

Share |
Old Jan 7th, 08, 9:07 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 4,376
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Doorstyle: Akurum/Abstrakt/Nexus

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Thanks! If anyone has an extra kitchen catalogue I'm in need of one. Please let me know.

Share |
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment