LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Dec 16th, 07, 10:22 pm   #1
kshorty
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
Cost of painting cabinets at an auto body shop

I am almost done with my ikea kitchen and read on several posts that you can take cabinet doors to an auto body shop to match abstrakt white. I took 2 glass doors to the shop and they wanted to charge me $150 a door to just put on a glossy coat. They thought the white was a close enough match. I was a little sticker shocked. Does this seem like the right price. I am in New York City and realize the prices may be inflated but $300 for 2 door painted seems insane.

Any ideas what a reasonable price might be?

Share |

kshorty is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Dec 17th, 07, 7:11 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,123
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Nexus BB in bathroom

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Re: Cost of painting cabinets at an auto body shop

Geez!!! In my old kitchen, the guy I hired to paint my entire tiny kitchen cabinetry (inside and out) only charged me $200........for the entire kitchen! Of course, he was a friend of ours......that may have made a difference.

Share |
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 07, 7:22 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 130
Gallery: 210
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Adel White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Moderator  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 8

I found this thread about painting Abstrakt doors in an auto shop. (It was in Puerto Rico, though!) Abstrakt White Kitchen

I would suggest emailing Manolo, perhaps he has some suggestions. I'd also check in with other auto body shops and ask for prices. Where in NYC are you?

Share |

Has IKEAFans helped you? Then please click here to find out how you can help IKEAFans!

No trees were killed in the creation of this post. However, many electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Emmie9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 07, 12:54 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

I wonder if you could get a volume discount if you did 20 or something? After all there's setup and cleanup time which is virtually the same no matter how many they do... and maybe you could try one of those places that advertises $400 auto paint jobs (or whatever the going "cRaZy" deal is today ). They probably aren't good enough for a car that's on the road all day but might be fine for a kitchen?

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
abstrakt , akurum , faktum