Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Apr 13th, 06, 10:20 am   #1
Lee_A
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 2
My kitchen plan has a 30" base cabinet mounted to the back of a interior half wall to create a peninsula that will be shared by the dining room. The wall is about 5.5" thick. The dimensions I planned for the countertop is 36" W x 33"D. A relative who is an architect had the opinion that this would look too square and overpowering and considering the small size of the kitchen and dining room. He suggested that I cut the cabinet down to 18" deep from 24" so that the new dimensions will be 36"x27". Cutting down the frame is no big deal, but its the drawers that pose the problem. Using the just announced 12" drawers seems like a waste since there will be 6" left unused. Staying with the stock drawers will only allow me to cut the cabinet down to 20" or 21". Any suggestions on what I should do?

Share |

Lee_A is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 13th, 06, 11:39 am  
IKEA addict

Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Stat
No suggestions, but a request for clarification. How much overhang is your counter going to have? It's my understanding that anything more than the standard overhang (which I can't recall -- an inch and a half, maybe?) makes it difficult/impossible to access the drawers underneath.

Share |
jen_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 06, 11:45 am  
IKEA FAN

Counter overhang on the cabinet will be the standard length. I guess I should clarify that the 33" depth in my current layout includes the overhang on both sides of the peninsula (24" cab + 5.5" wall + overhang). I have included the wall as it forms part of the mounting surface for the peninsula. I could have just used the cabinet alone as the peninsula and not have the half wall at all, but that led to other problems.

Share |
Old Apr 13th, 06, 11:56 am  
IKEA addict

Tough to say for sure without seeing a diagram of the whole room. But have you thought about making the half wall a little taller? (I'm assuming the wall is on the dining room side.) Instead of sharing a peninsula, you could have bar-height seating on the dining room side. Downside: a little less kitchen counter real estate than with the shared peninsula. Upside: raised height will hide kitchen clutter from the dining room, plates/other stuff on bar counter won't migrate into your kitchen workspace, and you can put electrical on the kitchen side of the half wall (check your local code, but I think most places, you'd be required to have electrical on your peninsula, even if it's just composed of cabinets).

Share |
Old Apr 13th, 06, 12:20 pm  
IKEA FAN

I actually considered the bar height option, but was vetoed by my better half. Here is my layout. Any other thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: gif kitchen.gif (41.1 KB, 209 views)

Share |
Old Apr 14th, 06, 11:17 am  
IKEA addict

Lee_A wrote:
Quote:
I actually considered the bar height option, but was vetoed by my better half.
Have you tried asking when she's distracted, or about to fall asleep?

I'm a little too frazzled right now to be completely coherent, so let me just share my random thoughts for whatever they're worth (probably not much).

1) I'm pretty sure the 12" drawers don't come in 30", though they do come in 15". You may already know this, but I thought I'd mention it in case you'd been thinking of doing a four-drawer cabinet. You could still use the 12" drawers for a cabinet with two shallow drawers above and doors below.

2) You could always get custom (18" deep) drawers made and attach Ikea drawer fronts (or buy the hardware and make your own drawers, if you're handy). Susan (Garden of Darwin) and James (Tigratrus) did this for a drawer in their breakfast room, using a custom drawer from Scherr's. (Actually, I believe they had to make their own drawer front, because it was a 12" drawer, which Ikea doesn't make. But you could just buy the standard drawer fronts.) If you do a search for Scherr, that thread should pop up.

3) Your architect relative may very well be right about the peninsula looking better narrower. But something else to consider is how it will look to have a 27" deep peninsula placed so that the front edge is set back close to a foot from the front edge of the fridge (I'm assuming you have a regular 30" deep fridge, not a counter-depth model). I think that might look odd or even like you made a mistake -- like the peninsula was supposed to line up with the fridge, but didn't.

4) If you're set on 18" deep there, what about using an 18" wide cabinet (either a regular cabinet or a drawer stack), turned perpendicular to the fridge? It wouldn't be ideal to have it opening into the doorway (in fact, depending on what you keep in there and how often you need to access it, it might be a very, very bad idea), but it would get you the right dimensions there without having to mess with cutting down cabinets. You could attach a shallow drawer front (I believe they're 6") to an aftermarket spice rack pullout between the back of the cabinet and the fridge. Then you'd wind up with a space of 18"x30" like you wanted.

Share |

Comment