Old Dec 29th, 07, 6:26 am   #1
etznab
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: Adel, Fagerland
How are wire basket drawers?

Anyone have both wire baskets and regular drawers? How do they compare? Does anyone store onions and potatoes in a wire basket drawer?

But my main interest is a place to store tupperwear containers. Right now I have them in a wall cabinet and I hate it.

Share |

etznab is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Dec 29th, 07, 9:06 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Re: How are wire basket drawers?

I had them in my 18" base cabinet, with the intention of storing breads and onions and potatoes in them. First, I found out that you shouldn't store onions and potatoes together...then I found that I was constantly having to clean up onion skins from the bottom of the cabinet. So I moved the onions out, and tried to use them for my pots and tupperware. Because of the uneven bottom surface and the shallow sides, the tupperware was constantly falling over and lids flying out.

I finally switched them out for two deep drawers and I am much happier now.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 07, 7:44 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 200
My IKEA: USA-San Diego
Doorstyle: Akurum, PAX, Hopen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaPerconti View Post
I had them in my 18" base cabinet, with the intention of storing breads and onions and potatoes in them. First, I found out that you shouldn't store onions and potatoes together...then I found that I was constantly having to clean up onion skins from the bottom of the cabinet. So I moved the onions out, and tried to use them for my pots and tupperware. Because of the uneven bottom surface and the shallow sides, the tupperware was constantly falling over and lids flying out.

I finally switched them out for two deep drawers and I am much happier now.

I think I see my future. . .

I'm not sure I'm sold on those baskets either.

I'll likely replace them in the bathroom vanity and one of my kitchen cabinets with deep drawers.

Deep drawers rule.

Gar

Share |
BigGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 07, 10:51 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!

We used wire baskets in both our 24" pantries and though I think we're the only ones, we love them. We store canned goods, cereal, pasta, dog treats and love that you can see the contents without having to pull it out.

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 07, 11:11 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

Stacy, you're right...they're great for small heavy things like cans. Not great for things that are light or messy, like tupperware and onions.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 07, 10:45 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 50
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Doorstyle: Nexus birch?

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

We had to line ours to keep the wonderful little homegrown fingerling potatoes and garlic heads from dropping through. Both potatoes and onions have moved into the basement.

Share |
cocontom is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment