Old Jan 21st, 08, 12:04 am   #1
Birkie
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 2,183
Gallery: 16
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Adel white
Over-the fridge storage options?

I'd like to put my tupperware in my 24" x 30" over-the fridge cab. I know I will need a stepstool to reach it, but that's OK since I could not find any other place for it in my new kitchen.

Any ideas for efficient storage up there? I was thinking of using two of these 3-tier fully extending Rev-a-Shelf pull-outs, but the one I ordered doesn't seem to hold much and may end up under the sink.

I am tempted to just put a large tub up there, since I will keep a small selection down where I can reach, and the over-the fridge would be for more of the cookie tins etc that aren't used as much.

Any thoughts?

Share |

Birkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jan 21st, 08, 12:57 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
Re: Over-the fridge storage options?

We have wine glass storage over our fridge but there are several here with drawers above their fridges.

Here are some threads that might help:
Over the Fridge Cabinet Modification
http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/desig...p-cabinet.html

Share |

Last edited by stacylu; Jan 21st, 08 at 12:43 pm..
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 08, 7:36 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 220
Gallery: 32
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park
Doorstyle: Hickory shaker

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Installing two 15" pullout drawers is a pretty easy hack. We've got two 15" pullouts, with a fixed shelf above that is not very readily accessible, which is perfect for storing Controlled Food Substances. The trick is to divide the cabinet so you have some place to attach the drawer rails in the middle. We used a 2x4, which is the perfect width and which we have in great abundance, and drilled our own holes to screw in the rails. But you can also use the divider rail that is sold for the 30 and 36 in base cabinets with drawers, and then the holes are drilled for you. If you want a second set of interior pullout drawers above, you could use two pieces of 3/4" plywood sandwiched together from top to bottom (again drilling your own holes to screw in the drawer rails).

That being said: the drawer makes it easier to access that space, but unless you're tall, I think it would still not be the ideal place for storing small stuff like tupperware that will hide down in the drawer and needs to be eyeballed as you grab it. In other words, do you have something larger that would could be stored in a 15" deep drawer and that you could grab from that position without needing a step stool?

The final note is that if you do decide to put anything heavy in an OTF cabinet modified to contain drawers, it is really doubly extra important to ensure that the cabinet is secured not only by the suspension rail, but by being screwed into solid wood on both sides toward the front-stud or cover panel.

Share |
drlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 08, 12:10 pm  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

My over the fridge area is 37.5" w x 22" h ... we've been looking down at the drawers so long we kinda forgot about that area!

There are a lot of fabulous ideas here- I think we'll probably go with ferrari hinges and a couple of pull out shelves...maybe a good place for extra papertowels, grocery sacks, candles, seasonal paper goods..a lobster pot?

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 08, 12:40 pm  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 2,715
Gallery: 208
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Linjär Blue,Avsikt/Bath: Nexus Brown-Black/Office: Nexus Yellow-Brown/Bedroom: PAX Stordal

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlith View Post
Installing two 15" pullout drawers is a pretty easy hack. We've got two 15" pullouts, with a fixed shelf above that is not very readily accessible, which is perfect for storing Controlled Food Substances. The trick is to divide the cabinet so you have some place to attach the drawer rails in the middle. We used a 2x4, which is the perfect width and which we have in great abundance, and drilled our own holes to screw in the rails. But you can also use the divider rail that is sold for the 30 and 36 in base cabinets with drawers, and then the holes are drilled for you. If you want a second set of interior pullout drawers above, you could use two pieces of 3/4" plywood sandwiched together from top to bottom (again drilling your own holes to screw in the drawer rails).

That being said: the drawer makes it easier to access that space, but unless you're tall, I think it would still not be the ideal place for storing small stuff like tupperware that will hide down in the drawer and needs to be eyeballed as you grab it. In other words, do you have something larger that would could be stored in a 15" deep drawer and that you could grab from that position without needing a step stool?

The final note is that if you do decide to put anything heavy in an OTF cabinet modified to contain drawers, it is really doubly extra important to ensure that the cabinet is secured not only by the suspension rail, but by being screwed into solid wood on both sides toward the front-stud or cover panel.
I used 2 divider rails stacked together for this purpose. You could do the single pullout on each side, or you could also do double drawers on each side by using the bottom 2 drawers from the B3D15, with the slightly smaller drawer on the bottom.

This is a bit taller than my setup, but could be more useful than a single pull-out depending on how you use them.

Share |
MiamiBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 14, 11:45 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 2,139
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam
Doorstyle: Lindingo Grey

I installed a single 36" drawers over 2 18" drawers and plan to keep the original cabinet doors. With some planning I should have bought the 1.5" wide divider (for the 4 drawer 30" base unit) so I made one out of a sandwich of 2 pieces of 5/8" white melamine with a 1/4" scrap inside. I used 3/4" melamine edge banding put on with a heat gun and then drilled the holes. Looks factory. I haven't put the doors on yet so not entirely sure that the bottom drawers will clear the hinges so I may have to move the shelves or the hinges. Cam.

Share |
KXcam22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment