No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Feb 1st, 08, 7:20 pm   #1
remodelfla
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 940
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Wall oven in island??

I am trying to design an island out of Ikea components. I have to keep my existing perimenter cabs which are natural maple. My wish list includes to put a 30" induction cooktop in the island, a GE Advantium wall oven under the counter, and mostly drawers. I also wanted to lower a section to about 31" for prep cooking since I am only 5' tall and find standard height cabs a little too high... though I've used them all my life and could adjust if I had too. I thought a 7' length island would work. I'd like to L it a little bit with the cooktop on the short end of the L parallel to where my current range is now (I'll be getting rid of that). So far I figure the 36" drawer unit base cab for a cooktop, maybe 2 36" base drawer units, I really like the 18" wide ironing board unit, and ... what else? Are there any cabinets you can install a wall oven under the counter in? I didn't see anything on the website that seemed as if it would be possible. I'd like to install one of those mixer pull-out shelves (though I could do that in my perimeter cabs with an after market adjustment). Do you put two cabs back to back with some kind of L bracket connecting them to make a 4' deep island? I feel like I'm just barely teetering on the brink of understanding all this but need a push over the edge. I can't use the kitchen planning tool 'cause my computer is a Mac. Please help if you can. Thanks in advance.
Elyse

Share |

remodelfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 1st, 08, 7:47 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,740
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Re: Wall oven in island??

OK...let me try to answer your questions here.
Quote:
I also wanted to lower a section to about 31" for prep cooking since I am only 5' tall and find standard height cabs a little too high... though I've used them all my life and could adjust if I had too.
Certainly doable...you would just use a sheet of plywood instead of the legs to rest the cabinet on. You will need to worry about possibly finishing the sides of the cabinet that will be exposed, and about things rolling off the higher area. If you want my opinion, it isn't really a good idea, unless you do a lot of baking and want a dough prep area. I think you'd compromise a lot of the functionality of the island top. But, it's been done before, and in some high end kitchens. What you might want to consider if you do decide to do this is to get a butcher block that fits the space to fill in when you're not using it for prep, so the countertop can be all one height.

Quote:
I thought a 7' length island would work. I'd like to L it a little bit with the cooktop on the short end of the L parallel to where my current range is now (I'll be getting rid of that).
I'd like to know the dimensions of the room before I can say if 7' would work for you. You'll need room around the island, preferably a minimum of 42" - 48".

I don't recommend a cooktop on such a short surface, especially if there will be traffic around it. One accidental knocking of a pot off the island will be enough for you to hate it forever!
Quote:
So far I figure the 36" drawer unit base cab for a cooktop, maybe 2 36" base drawer units, I really like the 18" wide ironing board unit, and ... what else?
A 30" cooktop can go in a 30" cabinet, or you can go with the bigger one if you like. I'm not sure that having an ironing board on the island is the best place for it, and the board is really small, too.
Quote:

Are there any cabinets you can install a wall oven under the counter in? I didn't see anything on the website that seemed as if it would be possible.
Yes, you can use the 24, 30 and 36" wide cabinets. They're all component pieces, so you can get just the shell of the cabinet and put the oven in it and trim out the face. You will have to check clearances for both cooktop and oven to make sure they can happily co-exist in the same cabinet. Sometimes manufacturers prohibit this arrangement.
Quote:
I'd like to install one of those mixer pull-out shelves (though I could do that in my perimeter cabs with an after market adjustment).
Again, just my opinion, but these types of things take up an entire cabinet and leave you with your mixer hanging in the air, so flour, eggs and what have you end up flying all over and end up on the floor! Not my favorite thing. You can put one in a cabinet, however, you need at least 15" in width.

Quote:
Do you put two cabs back to back with some kind of L bracket connecting them to make a 4' deep island?
Pretty much, except you'd use a flat joining plate, not a L bracket.

What I would encourage you to do is post a quick drawing of your space, indicating where your utilities and doors and windows are. Then we can give you some ideas for what you might be able to do with your space!

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 08, 8:23 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 940
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise

Great insight on the cooktop and mixer. You're 100% right. I'm tossing so many ideas around. I love the idea of a butcher block. It would be very functional and attractive. I'll also save money with needing less granite for less island. I'll post pics as soon as I can. I'm really beginning to narrow my focus in relation to the whole project. Thanks so much for the helpful input.

Share |
remodelfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 08, 10:46 pm  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

I think Eva was describing a butcherblock that would be moveable, so you could remove it to make the countertop lower in that area, and replace it to make it flush with the adjoining area. So under that butcherblock will be some additional countertop material. Of course, you can mix your countertop materials if you choose to- even if you don't have the butcherblock moveable.

HTH ,

Kelly

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 08, 9:37 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,740
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!

Exactly right, kelly!

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
island