LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old May 5th, 06, 7:54 pm   #1
gwen
IKEA addict

iKarma: 110
Gallery: 7
My IKEA: USA-Round Rock
Doorstyle: Lidingo Doors (Kitchen/Bath), Numerar Oak (Waterlox)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

I was all ready to order the Numerar Solid Oak countertops for our kitchen when I read Tim & Joyce's Progress thread and saw their pictures. Now I am questioning the direction and choice of wood.

For some background, we are planning on white Lidingo style cabinets. Our flooring (set to be installed next week) is a "Gunstock" medium toned oak plank on the entire main floor. I'm hoping for a little darker tone on the countertops as well and was hoping we could achieve this with the oak and application of several layers of an oil finish. I'm not looking for the countertop and floor colors to match but some richness and depth would be nice. This makes me think Birch is definitely out as a choice.

I'm also still wondering about finish. Has anyone had experience with Waterlox on the IKEA wood countertops? How does this affect the color of your chosen wood?

Thanks!
G.

Share |

gwen is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 5th, 06, 8:26 pm  
Moderator; Member #123

iKarma: 10,898
Gallery: 53
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Lidingo (+ Hallarum in master suite)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
Gwen - I have the numerar oak with Lidingo cabs, but my floor is sort of golden oak. I love the combination of cabinets and counter, and I think it would look good with lots of different floors. My kitchen isthe Lidingo one on the finished kitchens gallery.

Kathy

Share |
kmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 06, 8:56 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 190
Gallery: 0
I feel the same as you about wood - I would like a darker tone but IKEA are not renowned for that. Some pics I've seen of the oak it looks quite a rich colour but sometimes it looks quite light. Hard to know isn't it!

If you really want wood to match your floor then maybe you could order just the countertop from somewhere else?

I've looked into that and seen some beautiful african walnut varieties, wenge, cherry.......mmmm, they are gorgeous. Would add to the bill though......

Share |
MollieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 06, 5:01 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,123
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Nexus BB in bathroom

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

Gwen - Have you looked at Lumber Liquidators? I know a few people have mentioned getting them from there.Perhaps they may have something darker.

Share |
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 06, 8:05 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 110
Gallery: 7
My IKEA: USA-Round Rock
Doorstyle: Lidingo Doors (Kitchen/Bath), Numerar Oak (Waterlox)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

I have looked into Lumber Liquidators but have heard some horror stories around here about their customer service and return policies. Since I've had a few problems with companies providing good service in the past month, I've sworn off giving business to anyone who doesn't at least *try* to be do the right thing by their customer.

That being said I think I can achieve a dark enough color with the right finish on the IKEA Numerar tops. Now I just need to figure out if that is going to be with a pure tung oil or with something like Waterlox.

I've still got dh psyched up to do an undermount sink with the wood countertop so we'll see . . . !

G.

Share |
gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 06, 11:42 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch
Fwiw : If you mean Waterlox marine finish, which I'm guessing you do if you're thinking of an undermount sink, please read the Material Safety Data Sheet so you can make a fully informed decision.

Using it on a kitchen countertop apparently doesn't concern some people -- the thinking being that it's nontoxic once cured. But after reading the MSDS I wouldn't use it in anywhere in my home. (I'd even look for alternatives before using it on my boat.) I'm a "greenie" and buy non-toxic materials at every opportunity, so YMMV .

Pam

P.S. A plug for places like the Environmental Home Center, http://www.environmentalhomecenter.com, which has all kinds of wonderful products.

Share |
pmcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 06, 8:46 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

I was reading somewhere on a floor installers forum and they weren't impressed with Lumber Liquidators. From what I can gather, they used to be a quality company but have since lost their reputation for it. Not sure if that applies to the countertops, too.

Share |
Old May 7th, 06, 10:32 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 1,933
Gallery: 51
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Doorstyle: Adel Medium Brown

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
Kristen (kisaacs) got her countertops at Lumber Liquidators and used the Waterlox sealer on her countertops. She was never planning on preparing food directly on the counters so she went with the maple, I think, countertops and an undermount sink.

Share |
jgsearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 06, 7:13 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

Not about countertops, but, our roofer was here today and was discussing hardwood flooring with me because he's been in rehabbing for many years. He put BellaWood floors from Lumber Liquidators in his house recently and he said they're great. He did say to not use American Cherry because it's too soft. A friend of his who put it in his mansion (in Ladue - wealthy area) had an open house and tons of women with heels completely ruined his American Cherry floors.

Share |
Old May 9th, 06, 7:59 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 42,994
Gallery: 88
My IKEA: USA-Boston:Stoughton
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

Yup, I did the LL countertops in maple with the waterlox finish and the undermount sink. So far, we still love it and haven't had any trouble with it. But, we use it as a countertop, not a food prep surface or cutting board.

We also got our hardwood flooring from LL. I didn't have any trouble with them, but I didn't try to return anything either. They do have a darker wood countertop (cherry, I think), though I don't know anyone who has used it.

Share |
kisaacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment