iKarma: 2,345
Gallery: 6
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Abstrakt White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

Abstrakt White modern kitchen review

I am building a custom home in Phoenix, Arizona and will be using Abstrakt White cabinets throughout the house. The room I am most concerned about is the kitchen, as I don't want to mess it up!

I will attach the Ikea files, but will also give some details of the kitchen.

The kitchen is part of a big open space that also includes a dining area and living/family room. The kitchen is in the SE part of the room and the the west wall includes a 12 foot sliding glass door onto a balcony, a large corner window that spans 10 feet and another large window in the dining area that is about 8 feet wide. There are great city, golf course and mountain views out the west side of the house.

The flooring will be natural colored bamboo, the walls a green color a bit brighter than celery, and the countertops are the same look as Silestone starlight black (black with mirror flecks in it). The appliances are nearly all GE Monogram SS, a 48" built in fridge, an Advantium with a single oven under it, an induction cooktop and dishwasher drawers (not sure which brand yet).

The furniture and accessories in the room will mostly be black, white gray or silver, as the color on the wall will be dramatic. The house has a very modern and clean line feel to it.

At this point all of the cabinets are Abstrakt White with Lansa handles. On the wall where the oven and fridge are I will have room for some cabinets between them(I was not sure before) and was thinking that I should have these be the frosted glass type. The door for all the rooms and the pantry will be white with white laminate glass (the pantry is in the corner of the kitchen)

The bigger island will be all one level, with barstools around part of it. In the Ikea file it shows the cover panels in strange places, but those will obviously be cut to fit and look correct in real life.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be very much appreciated. I am going to have nearly 70 cabinets in the house and have got to place my order within the next week or two, so I am starting to get a bit nervous about all this!

Thanks!

Jennifer
Attached Files
File Type: fpf jj kitchen final.fpf (125.4 KB, 61 views)

Share |

Last edited by jj4444444; Mar 23rd, 08 at 6:22 pm.. Reason: adding more detail
jj4444444 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Mar 23rd, 08, 7:28 pm  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,680
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Re: Abstrakt White modern kitchen review

Hi Jennifer and welcome!

Your home sounds lovely. With all those windows, I am sure you want your kitchen to not be too much of a visual distraction from the views.

I took a look at your plan, and have a few comments:

I assume the 36" cab in the center of that back wall is a cooktop cabinet? You show it as a 4-drawer cabinet but I didn't see a cooktop, so I am assuming that is what you're doing.

Ideally you want a minimum of 42, preferably 48 inches in all your aisles and walkways. In such a large space, you've got plenty of room for that and I highly recommend you allow for the larger aisles. Especially around the island, since there are doors to ovens and fridges opening into the space and potentially people moving with hot things from cooktop to oven, and across the cooktop wall, you will definitely want larger aisles.

If you are planning on using the entire fridge wall, I'd keep the position the fridge on the outside (lower) end and the ovens closer into the cooking zone. People who won't be cooking will still need easy access to the fridge and you don't want them underfoot.

You don't really have a convenient landing zone for fridge or ovens, and that is something you'll really want. The end of the island has a sink on it and you won't be able to put hot items there. If you can get more cabinets on the fridge wall, make sure you have a countertop space.

Your dishwasher will have to be at least 12" from the corner to be able to load it while standing at the sink. I'd suggest changing the BD24 to the left of the sink to a 15 or 18 pullout for trash, or at least swapping the 24 and 15 you show.

I see you have a nice mix of pullouts, drawer and door base cabinets. Have you considered what you need to store where? That may dictate changing out some of the cabinets for other types. We are big fans of drawers here.

The assymetry of the upper cab door sizes along the cooktop wall may or may not bother you.

The Lansa handles are quite nice but they might take away from the clean line feeling since they are going to appear a bit interrupted. Another handle choice, at least for the uppers, might be more aesthetically pleasing.

HTH !

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 08, 8:08 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 1,033
Gallery: 1

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

"The Lansa handles are quite nice but they might take away from the clean line feeling since they are going to appear a bit interrupted. Another handle choice, at least for the uppers, might be more aesthetically pleasing."

I tend to agree with this. I used to LOVE the Lansa handles, but it seems like everyone has them, and I think they are too much when used on upper canbs. If you do love the lansa, I would use them on the base cabs only, and maybe use a low profil minimalist handle like the strechet on the upper cabs.

Also, note that the Lansa is being discontinued and is on sale at IKEA right now, so if you want them, you should try to get all you will need soon. They are being replaced by a similar handle that is apparently thinner in diameter -- imo a design mistake, as the more high end kitchens have chunky bar handles when this type is used, not skimpy ones.

I really like your description of the color scheme. That is one of my favorite color combos and I think it will be fresh, bright, and airy. I think the glass doors with the tall cab could look really nice as well.

FWIW , I am using abstrakt white on my upper cabs and for the pantry area surrounding my fridge (a built-in). I am using strecket handles on the upper cabs -- one advantage being that for those you don't drill through the door fronts, so I could replace them with different handle later if I find something else. My lowers are Rubrik stainless.

Share |
yankeelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 08, 8:21 pm  
IKEA FAN

LBG Adoptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaPerconti View Post
Hi Jennifer and welcome!

Your home sounds lovely. With all those windows, I am sure you want your kitchen to not be too much of a visual distraction from the views.

I took a look at your plan, and have a few comments:

I assume the 36" cab in the center of that back wall is a cooktop cabinet? You show it as a 4-drawer cabinet but I didn't see a cooktop, so I am assuming that is what you're doing.

*Yes, it will be a 36" induction cooktop with a cooktop cabinet. I thought that is what was listed, thanks for catching the mistake!

Ideally you want a minimum of 42, preferably 48 inches in all your aisles and walkways. In such a large space, you've got plenty of room for that and I highly recommend you allow for the larger aisles. Especially around the island, since there are doors to ovens and fridges opening into the space and potentially people moving with hot things from cooktop to oven, and across the cooktop wall, you will definitely want larger aisles.

**I agree with you. Actually the placement of the islands are not quite correct now that you mention that. In reality I did leave between 42-46" I think. I am going to go and check on that however, just to be sure!

If you are planning on using the entire fridge wall, I'd keep the position the fridge on the outside (lower) end and the ovens closer into the cooking zone. People who won't be cooking will still need easy access to the fridge and you don't want them underfoot.

**That is what I had planned. I didn't look at the file again before I posted, and see that the change in Fridge size and location didn't stick. I am making changes to it right now. I am having a problem, however, that maybe you can offer some suggestion about. The fridge is a 48" side by side and every time I try to put that into the planner, it changes it to 47". Do you have any idea why?

You don't really have a convenient landing zone for fridge or ovens, and that is something you'll really want. The end of the island has a sink on it and you won't be able to put hot items there. If you can get more cabinets on the fridge wall, make sure you have a counter top space.

**I had planned to use the island, the area "below" the sink in the plan, I am not sure at this point that I have many other options. As the space between the fridge and ovens is only about 27", I think that will be too small for a countertop as it would look a bit funny. It seems it would also be a better use of that space as extra storage for baking items.

Your dishwasher will have to be at least 12" from the corner to be able to load it while standing at the sink. I'd suggest changing the BD24 to the left of the sink to a 15 or 18 pullout for trash, or at least swapping the 24 and 15 you show.

**My plan is to put a 2 drawer dishwasher drawer to the right of the sink. I then wanted to leave room on the left of the sink to add another dw in the future if needed/wanted. I know there will be some filler between the sink cab and cabs on either died. You are saying that I need 12 inches? Is that because of the angle? I guess I am going to need to look at this closely and see what I can come up with.. thanks for the info!

I see you have a nice mix of pullouts, drawer and door base cabinets. Have you considered what you need to store where? That may dictate changing out some of the cabinets for other types. We are big fans of drawers here.

**I tried to put in a fair amount of drawers, as I know those seem to work well and be very popular. Are you thinking I don't have enough of those at this point? Is there any specific place you think I should have a drawer instead or you were just talking overall? I will look and see if there are any I should switch out. I do have a basic plan of what will go where in the kitchen, but am still open at this point.

The assymetry of the upper cab door sizes along the cooktop wall may or may not bother you.

** I didn't have enough room to make them all 36", so I did 24" on the outside and 36" in the middle. Is that what you mean? Was there something else you were seeing. I do want things to be as symmetrical as possible.

The Lansa handles are quite nice but they might take away from the clean line feeling since they are going to appear a bit interrupted. Another handle choice, at least for the uppers, might be more aesthetically pleasing.

**My plan was to use them all horizontally. I need to have actual pull handles, as I have long nails. I think I like the look of the handles as planned, but thanks for the suggestion. Until someone mentions something it can often be tough to really confirm what you want.

HTH!
I am not sure if I did that correectly, but I just responded to your comments above, and marked mine with **.

Thank you so much, it was a big help. I am having a lot of problems with the Ikea planner right now, but will post the changes and clarifications as soon as I can.

Jennifer

Share |
Old Mar 23rd, 08, 8:33 pm  
IKEA FAN

LBG Adoptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeelawyer View Post
"The Lansa handles are quite nice but they might take away from the clean line feeling since they are going to appear a bit interrupted. Another handle choice, at least for the uppers, might be more aesthetically pleasing."

I tend to agree with this. I used to LOVE the Lansa handles, but it seems like everyone has them, and I think they are too much when used on upper canbs. If you do love the lansa, I would use them on the base cabs only, and maybe use a low profil minimalist handle like the strechet on the upper cabs.

**I hear what you are saying. I appreciate the comments and I will think this over some more for the next few days and be more open to it.

Also, note that the Lansa is being discontinued and is on sale at IKEA right now, so if you want them, you should try to get all you will need soon. They are being replaced by a similar handle that is apparently thinner in diameter -- imo a design mistake, as the more high end kitchens have chunky bar handles when this type is used, not skimpy ones.

**Thanks for letting me know this. I have a ton of handles to buy, so maybe now is the time! Not only are they on sale, but I agree about the size. I think the bigger chunkier style would look much better in my house. Now I just need to figure out what sizes of handles go with what sizes of cabinets/drawers. Is there some kind of rule of thumb on that?

I really like your description of the color scheme. That is one of my favorite color combos and I think it will be fresh, bright, and airy. I think the glass doors with the tall cab could look really nice as well.

**Thanks! Most of my friends think I am crazy, but it works with what I like and how I have designed the house. I know it isn't for everyone, but it will leave more beige things for others, as that is a color that won't be in my house!

FWIW , I am using abstrakt white on my upper cabs and for the pantry area surrounding my fridge (a built-in). I am using strecket handles on the upper cabs -- one advantage being that for those you don't drill through the door fronts, so I could replace them with different handle later if I find something else. My lowers are Rubrik stainless.

**Thanks for the info, it will help me to try to visualize what it would look like. Do you happen to have pictures, or are you not that far along yet?
Thanks for all of the comments and input!

Jennifer

Share |
Old Mar 23rd, 08, 8:48 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 1,033
Gallery: 1

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

I don't have photos of my kitchen yet as we only have the cabs assembled and installed, no door or drawer fronts on yet, so it is kind of nako right now!

Below are some photos for comparison that might help a bit.

The one with the beige glass backsplash has what appear to be streket handles on the upper cabs. I recall that the lower cabs have handles by Mockett (I think the website is dougmockett.com ). The IKEA display may have grippa ones on the uppers; I can't really tell if they are grippa or strecket. I don't personally like the grippa because I find them uncomfortable to pull (kind of sharp and they feel as though they'd break a nail).

Regarding placement and size, people seem to do a wide variety of things. The large drawers seem to have the most possibilities, because there is the question of whether to do one handle (either long, spanning nearly the entire width, or the same sized used on the 15 or 18 drawers) or 2 smaller ones that line up with the ones on the upper drawers. If you opt for the latter, note that the wide drawers could only be opened using 2 hands, whereas a single handle could be pulled from the center of the drawer using one hand. That may or may not bother you (I personally have no preference, because I don't often try to balance a stack of things in one hand while pulling a drawer open with the other; I would typically set things down on the counter first.

Please note that by posting these photos, I do not mean to criticize any particular handle choice. To the contrary, each of these photos was saved to my "favorite kitchens" file, and there were aspects of each of these kitchens that I really liked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2_K_ket_006.jpg (52.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 1_DCP_1651.jpg (24.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 10Feb70001.JPG (85.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 2166293789_d70161186d.jpg (76.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg file2.jpg (31.0 KB, 131 views)

Share |

Last edited by yankeelawyer; Mar 23rd, 08 at 8:58 pm..
yankeelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 08, 9:25 pm  

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

Quote:
**That is what I had planned. I didn't look at the file again before I posted, and see that the change in Fridge size and location didn't stick. I am making changes to it right now. I am having a problem, however, that maybe you can offer some suggestion about. The fridge is a 48" side by side and every time I try to put that into the planner, it changes it to 47". Do you have any idea why?
I have no idea why the planner does some of the things it does But it reminds me I wanted to mention that you need to check with the mfr of your fridge and your ovens to make sure that you can put them side by side. Some fridges can't be put right next to an oven cab, you need some filler in between or you will void the warranty.

Quote:
**I had planned to use the island, the area "below" the sink in the plan, I am not sure at this point that I have many other options. As the space between the fridge and ovens is only about 27", I think that will be too small for a countertop as it would look a bit funny. It seems it would also be a better use of that space as extra storage for baking items
I think you might want to have that countertop there. You could even use a deep overfridge cabinet above it instead of a shallower wall cab, that would be a nice kind of modern look with a sort of "hole" in the wall o'tall. As someone who has shattered a glass baking dish into a gazillion pieces because I put it straight from the oven onto a wet spot on the counter, putting hot things near a source of water makes me a little nervous now,

Quote:
**My plan is to put a 2 drawer dishwasher drawer to the right of the sink. I then wanted to leave room on the left of the sink to add another dw in the future if needed/wanted. I know there will be some filler between the sink cab and cabs on either died. You are saying that I need 12 inches? Is that because of the angle? I guess I am going to need to look at this closely and see what I can come up with.. thanks for the info!
Yes, that is what I mean. If you consider that an open dishwasher (even if you're using drawers, there is no guarantee you won't have to replace them later and you might choose a regular DW again) will open right into your leg if you were standing at your sink, you will see the need for some space between. And it will be very helpful to have a trash on the opposite side from your DW, for ease of processing dishes at the sink.

You might want to fool around with an L Shape rather than the angled sink cabinet...you could always curve the countertop around even if the cabinets were squared off.

Quote:
**I tried to put in a fair amount of drawers, as I know those seem to work well and be very popular. Are you thinking I don't have enough of those at this point? Is there any specific place you think I should have a drawer instead or you were just talking overall? I will look and see if there are any I should switch out. I do have a basic plan of what will go where in the kitchen, but am still open at this point.
I mena generally speaking...your particular storage needs might mean you need a couple of door/shelf cabinets or maybe a couple of the smaller cabinets with 4 drawers instead of three if you have a lot of small implements...just give it some thought as to where you'll be putting your stuff that makes sense for your work flow, and customize your drawers to fit those needs and your aesthetics. It's worth thinking about now.

Quote:
** I didn't have enough room to make them all 36", so I did 24" on the outside and 36" in the middle. Is that what you mean? Was there something else you were seeing. I do want things to be as symmetrical as possible.
That is what I mean...the 24" cabinets have doors that are 12" wide and the 36" cabinets have doors that are 18 inches wide. So you'll have
12-12-18-18 space 18-18-12-12
The 12 next to the 18 might be a little noticeable, especially if you have the handles all the same size. The 12 might look small and crowded in comparison to the 18.

And my personal favorite new handle is the Jigga. I just love it and would change all of my Lansas in a heartbeat if the holes lined up...but they don't.

Share |

Old Mar 24th, 08, 3:19 am  
IKEA FAN

LBG Adoptions

Quote:
I have no idea why the planner does some of the things it does But it reminds me I wanted to mention that you need to check with the mfr of your fridge and your ovens to make sure that you can put them side by side. Some fridges can't be put right next to an oven cab, you need some filler in between or you will void the warranty.
The fridge and oven will actually have a cabinet between them, so that won't be an issue, but thanks, at one point I thought there wouldn't be a cabinet there and didn't think about that issue until someone else mentioned it.

Quote:
I think you might want to have that countertop there. You could even use a deep overfridge cabinet above it instead of a shallower wall cab, that would be a nice kind of modern look with a sort of "hole" in the wall o'tall. As someone who has shattered a glass baking dish into a gazillion pieces because I put it straight from the oven onto a wet spot on the counter, putting hot things near a source of water makes me a little nervous now,
Ok, I have to admit when you first mentioned this in your other post I thought it sounded crazy. Now you have me thinking about it a bit more!

I have 9 feet from wall to wall to work with. I have a 48" GE Monogram built in fridge, a 30" double oven wall cab and then whatever space I have left, which is exactly 30". I am not sure, however, if I really have enough for a 30" cabinet, as I don't know if I need something on the side of the fridge between it and the cabinet. Do you have any thoughts as to which upper cabinets to use and how to stack them? I understand and agree about them being 24" deep, but then if I can get a 30" in there should I try to give them the look of one of the kitchens shown above where they were square looking? (I hope this makes sense). In that case it might make the most sense to use the other handles that were suggested.

Quote:
Yes, that is what I mean. If you consider that an open dishwasher (even if you're using drawers, there is no guarantee you won't have to replace them later and you might choose a regular DW again) will open right into your leg if you were standing at your sink, you will see the need for some space between. And it will be very helpful to have a trash on the opposite side from your DW, for ease of processing dishes at the sink.
I am going to have to work on this. I am not sure I can change what is to the right of the sink, but as you mentioned before I can probably switch to the left of the sink.

Quote:
You might want to fool around with an L Shape rather than the angled sink cabinet...you could always curve the countertop around even if the cabinets were squared off.
Actually I have to leave it the shape it is for many reasons. There are a number of angles like that in this space, it was designed that way from the beginning. Also, curves are not allowed in my house!

Quote:
That is what I mean...the 24" cabinets have doors that are 12" wide and the 36" cabinets have doors that are 18 inches wide. So you'll have
12-12-18-18 space 18-18-12-12
The 12 next to the 18 might be a little noticeable, especially if you have the handles all the same size. The 12 might look small and crowded in comparison to the 18.
I was trying to make the upper cabinets match the base cabinets. I have seen a look that I really liked in a picture posted above where the upper cabinets looked like squares and were all even. I am not totally sure I understand how that was done, but if my guess is correct I might be able to pull it off. I have 60" on each side of the cooktop. Currently those are split as 36" and 24" and I would like to keep the base cabinets like that so I get as many big drawers as possible. I guess I am curious as to what anyone would think if the uppers didn't match the base? There is an island in the middle of the kitchen, so it isn't as if it will be totally obvious, but I am not sure. Any thoughts??

Just to give more information I will post a picture of the corner pantry and part of that wall. Unfortunately it is the only picture I have of it right now. Right above the cooktop is an exhaust fan (pictured).

Ok, I can't figure out how to post the pictures, so I will finish this and try in another post.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Share |
Old Mar 24th, 08, 3:27 am  
IKEA FAN

LBG Adoptions

Ok, here are the two pictures I was trying to attach before... I hope it works this time!

The first shows the faber concept exhaust fan that goes above the cooktop and below the window. In the second picture you can see the area to the left of the pantry door, the top hole in the wall is a window and the bottom is the place for the fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faber concept fan.jpg (14.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg pantry door.jpg (10.5 KB, 24 views)

Share |
Old Mar 24th, 08, 9:02 am  

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

I personally don't have a problem with uppers not matching lowers...but some people do.

To get those square doors, I think what is done is to use the 30x30" wall cabinets and use 15x15 doors from the 30x15 fan cabinet...they are square and you would just stack them on the wall cabinet. You might be able to do it with the 3639 wall cab and 3618 fan cab doors too.

Share |

Comment

Tags
abstrakt , akurum , faktum , island