Old May 3rd, 08, 9:49 am   #1
nda227
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 670
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Doorstyle: adel medium brown
Storing glasses in a drawer or pullout?

I currently have an wall cab positioned next to the dishwasher for all my glassware with a 36" base cab for my dishes.

I started thinking it would be nice not to have that wall cab there so I could my huge dry erase board calender there instead(I have it above the sink in my current kitchen, so I have to look at it a million times a day forcing me not to forget appointments).

But I didn't know if putting my everyday glasses (not the wine, martini, etc) in a drawer or pullout would work.

(Can you believe I've been redesigning this layout for over three months! yeesh) Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front_no_island.JPG (29.7 KB, 42 views)

Share |

nda227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old May 3rd, 08, 10:48 am  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!
Re: Storing glasses in a drawer or pullout?

I have had my glasses in a drawer, and it works great for kids. And if you are not a kid, it will work great for you too. I'd go ahead and get the non-slip cut to fit matting sold at IKEA for the interior of drawers and cabinets to keep things from shifting, and get used to putting your glasses at the back of the drawer, and stacked close to one another to minimize tipping. Alternatively, you could use some type of thin wood inserts, similar to those sold for sock drawer dividers.

One thing I can say about having my plates, bowls and silverware all in a 36" right next to the dishwasher is that emptying the dishwasher takes about 1/10th the time it used to. 6" of total space to travel is pretty efficient.

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 08, 10:53 am  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

Click for larger version

I found this here:

Drawer Divider - Sock Sorter 810-632-6024

Not cheap, but it is intended to illustrate what could be used. I'm sure there are better (read cheaper) solutions.

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 08, 12:09 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 1,033
Gallery: 1

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

Would any of the Rationell dividers at IKEA work for glasses?

Share |
yankeelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 08, 12:39 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 670
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Doorstyle: adel medium brown

Actually, I made a last second decision to change the size of the window on the left and to center the sink under it, which moved my plan over a foot (which I didn't realize until after the pipes were run and forced me to redo the wall with the oven... )

So instead of two 30" bases, I changed them to two 36" bases. My thought was to use a 12" pullout or drawer for the glasses and switch them back to 30"s.
Which means, I'd probably have them all jammed pretty close together. Unless I kept the two 36's and put the glasses in the middle drawer and dishes on the bottom....

(I've never had a dishwasher before, so I'm very excited! I planned the dishes/glasses next to it for the efficiency reason too lol )

Share |
nda227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 08, 1:56 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 466
Gallery: 5
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Abstrakt White (gave up on Nexus BB)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

we keep all of our glasses in drawers, and i love it. we used the Ikea plastic drawer liner, and we've never had a glass tip when closing the drawer. i highly recommend it. we used a 12" for things like glasses and silverware in the top drawer, and put a 30" drawer unit next to it for dinnerware. works beautifully. and we didn't use dividers of any kind. stays nice and neat on its own.

Share |
greenie227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 08, 2:30 pm  
IKEA holic

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 

I would keep the two 36 base cabs and use the middle drawer for glasses. You can always put dividers in it if you need to, but I think the 36s are much more versatile than the other option and they look so nice. The trend is to have wider cabs, which is more European. Here, people tend to have lots of ticky tack cabinets.

We have a 30 inch drawer cab, and although I love it, I wish I had room for the 36s.

Share |
Old May 3rd, 08, 2:32 pm  
IKEA holic

LBG Adoptions

Just out of curiosity, for those that are putting dishes and glasses in base cabs, what do you keep in your upper cabs, or do you not have any? Just wondering because pantry storage was always an issue in my old kitchen, and I am reorganizing where everything is kept (though we do have more pantry storage with the new design).

Share |
Old May 3rd, 08, 2:40 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 466
Gallery: 5
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Abstrakt White (gave up on Nexus BB)

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

i only have 4 wall cabinets, and i use them for things i don't need a lot -- the nice china, wine and champagne glasses, and bulk pantry stuff. i've got all my cooking and baking things in the base drawers, all the dinnerware, glassware, silverware. i love it, and i love that my kids can handle emptying the dishwasher and putting everything away on their own.

Share |
greenie227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 08, 2:54 pm  
IKEA holic

LBG Adoptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie227 View Post
i only have 4 wall cabinets, and i use them for things i don't need a lot -- the nice china, wine and champagne glasses, and bulk pantry stuff. i've got all my cooking and baking things in the base drawers, all the dinnerware, glassware, silverware. i love it, and i love that my kids can handle emptying the dishwasher and putting everything away on their own.
Thanks, Greenie. I don't have small kids but I don't particularly like having to reach up all the time for glasses and things.

Share |

Comment