No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jun 7th, 08, 6:30 am   #1
morahamy
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 70
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-New Haven
Knobs, or Pulls?

I'm now down to some of the small details in my planning. I've been browsing hundreds of knobs and pulls, and was wondering - on certain cabinets and drawers, is there any reason to pick one over the other? Do you think a kitchen should have one or the other, or mix?
Attached Files
File Type: fpf final-kitchen.fpf (62.0 KB, 5 views)

Share |

morahamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 7th, 08, 8:48 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 22,858
Gallery: 7
My IKEA: USA-Orlando
Doorstyle: Tidaholm

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN 
Total Awards: 2

I've been blogged!
Re: Knobs, or Pulls?

Take a look at the New York Times website. They have a photo story today explaining the notion of refurbishing for saleability. In that context, it seems kitchens need to be white and non-faddish, at least in the rarified atmosphere of Manhattan. One kitchen has modest knobs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final-kitchen.JPG (42.1 KB, 36 views)

Share |
Dave of the Coonties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 10:15 am  

iKarma: 12,759
Gallery: 22
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Burlington
Doorstyle: Adel White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morahamy View Post
knobs and pulls, and was wondering - on certain cabinets and drawers, is there any reason to pick one over the other? Do you think a kitchen should have one or the other, or mix?
Hi,

I think it is a personal choice - I have seen all of one style, a mix of knobs and pulls or all the same.

What style kitchen are you going for??

As an example - I am going a bit beachy / cottage like style and going with glass knobs and chrome pulls for the drawers. I immediately were drawn to them and it compliments the style of the kitchen I am trying to create.

What is the rest of your house like??

I have always thought that the knobs / pulls are like jewelry. The cabs / flooring etc are the basic outfit that can be dressed up or down depending on the accent peices.

Do you want them to pop off the cupboards or blend in - that will determine the colour / texture / finish. Do you want shiny or matte - that will aslo determine the finish.

There are tons of places you can look for knobs / pulls but I think until a style is decided it is to overwhelming.

Do you have an inspiration kitchen that you like or drawn to? You can pull from that as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Deb

PS: If you scroll to the bottom of this page you will also find more threads about this.

Share |

Last edited by dalbrough; Jun 7th, 08 at 11:10 am..
dalbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 10:19 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 100
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-New Jersey:Elizabeth
Doorstyle: Stat

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 

I like the look of a mix. When you are moving quickly, you can grab a pull and open a drawer more easily. It is also easier on the hand to have a pull on a drawer and a knob on a door.

Got the link to that NYTimes article?

Kathleen

Share |
2WTJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 10:25 am  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

Now this is complete personal preference on my part, but I would tend toward low profile pulls on a lot of drawers. Mine are as low profile as you can get, so it's obvious what my preference is! I don't see people here doing this at all, but I have seen kitchens where the pulls take over and seem to be the dominant focal point. I always imagine my children using those pulls as a jungle gym!

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 10:39 am  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 167,456
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Here's the link, but I think you have to be registered to view it:

Tips From Brokers on How to Renovate an Apartment - NYTimes.com

BTW , while it's really interesting, I didn't see any mention of knobs or pulls.

Share |

Last edited by Harpy; Jun 7th, 08 at 10:45 am..
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 11:48 am  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Ah, but a key NY Times photo has knobs. So knobs must be broker-approved as suitable for non-faddish high-end kitchens. On the side, a recent thread from NY is about a kitchen featuring a white kitchen with Linjar Blue highlights. NBeth sagely advised buying backup white drawer fronts. Small Kitchen Plan - Feedback Needed pls..

Maybe more important than handle-vs.-knob is comfort and practicality. At a store installation, I've noticed wear on veneered Nexus doors with the Steckret handle, which tends to bring your thumb into contact with the cabinet surface. IKEA | Bookcases | BESTÅ/INREDA system | STRECKET | Handle

One useful test for knobs or handles is to see whether they're comfortable to use for the top drawers of base cabinets. The countertop will make some difficult to grab. After pulling all the handles at the Orlando store, we liked Berom, which projects far enough to be easily grabbed and has an indentation on the top of the handle that's thumb-friendly.
IKEA | Kitchen accessories | Knobs & handles | BERÖM | Handle

A number of handles are distinctly un-finger-friendly, albeit none are as bad as some I've seen at hardware stores.

Share |
Old Jun 7th, 08, 12:04 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 167,456
My IKEA: USA-Ft Lauderdale:Sunrise
Doorstyle: Stat or Lidi

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave of the Coonties View Post
Ah, but a key NY Times photo has knobs. So knobs must be broker-approved as suitable for non-faddish high-end kitchens.
True, but another one has integrated handles.

Thanks for the clarification.

I've also heard people say they prefer pulls below counter level because knobs catch on clothing, but I can't say I've really experienced that much. I think it's pretty much up to you as to which you prefer (I hate knobs on wide drawers, myself), as long as you stick to standard sizes so you can easily swap them out later on, when styles change.

EDIT Also, if you have a corner, remember to take the clearance there into account when choosing, or plan for plenty of filler so drawers can open without hitting anything.

Share |
Harpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 12:10 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

We used the Lindsdal pull for most of our cabs. They go well with the Stat, but most importantly, we found them comfortable to grab.

The exceptions are on two cabs with small square doors, where I thought the knobs were better proportioned. We have no traditional vertical wall cabs, however, so I don't know what I would do if I had to decide whether to mix and match on the walls.

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 08, 12:56 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

Men's pants pockets catch on things like theater chair arms, door handles, etc. Another reason to like Berom or knobs.

Share |

Comment

Tags
besta , ikea