Old Jun 24th, 08, 3:31 pm   #1
pgans
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 575
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Doorstyle: Ulriksdal or Nexus YB, hmmm.
Microwave in pantry help

I was originally going to do an OTR microwave but then decided against it after much consideration. Here is an outline of our kitchen first:
Click for larger version
Microwave in pantry help 

In the right corner, bottom row of cabinets of the picture we have a 36" wall which will be our pantry. I was planning on using 2 24" tall cabinets, cut them down to 18" to get to the 36" wide. Now that we are going with the microwave in the pantry I have to figure out what to do. I don't want a tiny microwave, so I'm looking at some that are 23"ish wide. Any suggestions? I'm open to the wild crazy cut me down solutions too, as we have helpers that would love to do something non-standard!!

Thanks in advance! IKEAfans money donation thanks to whose ever idea we use!

Share |

pgans is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jun 24th, 08, 8:37 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 6,304
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Etobicoke

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Backer ($50-$99 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 15

Re: Microwave in pantry help

The standard answer would be to use a 30" pantry cabinet (and increase the base cabinets by 6") which would accomodate a microwave/trim kit.
I don't think joining two 18" wide, cut down cabinets is structurally sound - not sure I would try this (and I've tried a lot of weird stuff).
To make a 36" pantry you may want to consider using 36" base cabinets (2) and a 15" pantry...that way you have continuous top and bottom panels, along with the sides (from the 15" unit)...you would have to make your own back panel. The problem is that microwave ovens need air flow to the sides, so covering the opening with a panel is not an option...trim kits are the solution, but I'm not sure if 36" kits are available.

Share |
Old Jun 25th, 08, 8:56 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 200
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Salt Lake City:Draper

I thought a 23" microwave and trim would fit in a 30" pantry, wouldn't it? That is what I am planning for my kitchen.

Share |
fox71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 08, 9:45 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 575
Gallery: 49
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Doorstyle: Ulriksdal or Nexus YB, hmmm.

Hmm, for some reason I didn't see the 30" in the planner, must have missed it. I'd REALLY like to have the full 36" for a pantry if possible for storage space. If I do go with the 30, is it fully possible to go with the 3 drawers at the bottom to match up exactly with the B3D18 next to it?

Share |
pgans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 08, 10:24 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 200
Gallery: 3
My IKEA: USA-Salt Lake City:Draper

I think you can adjust the number and size of the drawer you want to have.
I am planning on buying that one: IKEA | Built-in kitchens | AKURUM/RATIONELL system | AKURUM | High cab f oven+2 drawers/ 2 doors

The opening is big on the picture because it is supposed to fit an oven as well. I won't cut as much of the cover panel and put only one shelf. Then I'll add one or 2 drawers to fill as much space as I can under the microwave.

Share |
fox71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment

Tags
akurum