No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 4th, 08, 3:33 pm   #1
bwogreen
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 110
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Dallas:Frisco
Cutting a vee in Varde corner cabinet?

The reach from the front to the back corner of the Varde corner cabinet seems too long to me, and I have a lovely window in my corner right next to the turn of the wall that I will not be able to look out of. I want to put a sink in the cabinet under that window. So I want to cut a 20 inch by 20 inch triangle into the front open edge of the corner cabinet. Then the cabinet will be "L-shaped."
This kitchen is really a nautical galley: TINY. I need to stand closer to the corner.

I am 200 miles from the nearest Ikea store and cannot preview their products.
1) will the countertop and shelves hold up, especially if I add look-alike leg in the new corner?
2)can I put a Boholmen double sink in a Varde countertop: will the countertop surface hold up if I am a careful housekeeper?

Any suggestions for ways to get at items on the shelves underneath?

Be gentle if you think this is a stupid idea: I am a first-time poster and first-time builder.

B Green.

Share |

bwogreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 13th, 08, 2:42 am  
IKEA FAN

Re: Cutting a vee in Varde corner cabinet?

Answering myself.
I decided against it. Instead I'll use the Varde sink cabinet so we can look out the window at the growing red spruce and the stream down the ledge.
Studying the Ikeafans site for a week now, I wonder at the psychology and sociology of who chooses to answer whom and about what. Clearly there are "hot"topics that gather lots of response and indifferent topics that people pass over like a wad of gum stuck to the pavement here in Oxford, or in any other city in a hurry. Let me put the word "new!!" here and see what happens via fans' searches.
But I am grateful for the wealth of intelligence that I get by grazing through the website .
No advice, no vee, no enlightenment yet.
Beatrice Green

Share |

Last edited by bwogreen; Jul 13th, 08 at 4:46 am..
Old Jul 20th, 08, 8:15 am  
IKEA FAN

Lightbulb Re: Cutting a vee in Varde corner cabinet?

Nothing like a little solipsism (talking to myself). If anyone should follow this thread, I substituted a Varde sink-in-cabinet for the corner cabinet, and I am extremely satisfied It took me only one hour to assemble the cabinet (less doors; plumber is coming.)
I look forward to adding the extending drawers after the plumbing is in. Can't download photos form my Mac, though. Any hints why iPhoto won;t reduce 600 kb photos to small even when I use "constrain?"
Varde seems like a very smart choice because it looks solid yet is not built in, and how expensive it is to keep changing ones mind and tearing kitchen after kitchen apart....

Beatrice Green

Share |

Last edited by bwogreen; Jul 20th, 08 at 8:16 am.. Reason: forgot name
Old Jul 20th, 08, 10:47 am  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

Hi there,

I'm so sorry no one responded to you. I know how that feels. I suspect the main problem is that few people have the Varde, so we just don't know how to answer well. We hope someone else will show up to do a better job and when no one does or can--well, it's not so good for you. Forgive me for not welcoming you at least! I hope you enjoy your kitchen and will consider sharing some of your hard won knowledge of Varde with the next person who stops by.

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 08, 2:02 pm  
IKEA FAN

Smile Re: Cutting a vee in Varde corner cabinet?

Dear NBeth,
I have noticed your posts in my browsing; you are indeed a mentor to us Ikeafans. Thank you for keeping the tone of the site caring and thoughtful.

Interesting that the Varde is not often chosen -- and I like that fact for myself as an off the beaten track person. I may try to put in a technical entry when the plumber actually plumbs the sink, so that others can judge whether they want that sink.

Did you know that mych of Ikeas wood and many factories are in Poland, Czechoslovakia and perhaps Russia as well as other non-Swedish countries? I found that provocative when my research uncovered it for me.Thank you for your response.

Beatrice Green

Share |
Old Jul 21st, 08, 7:34 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

For my 2 cents' worth... I really really like Varde, and would use it if it weren't just so darn HUGE. I also like the Bravad line, but it's also HUGE.

In my kitchen I could only put about 5 Varde cabinets in. The corner cabinet itself would eat up about 45% of the floorspace! (ok, maybe a -slight- exaggeration).

And regarding NBeth's comment about "don't know how to answer well"... In my case I often read posts but have nothing to contribute , so I don't. Don't know if this is better than a response of: "Read your message; don't have anything to say".

As far as the wood production... IKEA uses a lot of "baltic birch" and there's a lot of forest out there in the Baltic region, as well as cheap labor in the area. So makes perfect sense to me.

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 08, 5:45 am  
IKEA FAN

Smile Re: Cutting a vee in Varde corner cabinet?

Cheap Baltic labor, yes. I was in Estonia and Latvia in the '70's and '80's before a company like Ikea would have had access to such labor through the post Glasnost opening up of markets.
It looks like you are a serious Ikeafan.
About hugeness: my space is 8 ft by 3 feet 6 inches by four feet, trapezoidal. Two feet of the eight are taken up by a refrigerator. The sink from Varde takes up the rest of that wall, and occupies 25 inches of the 41 at right angles. Then, because the building has a prow, I have a 135 degree angle and 48 inches or so to the first window. It has been an exercise in HAVING LESS to choose the 2 pieces of Varde (The cart or narrow base cabinet will be the other piece) and the Grundtal shelves that will accommodate a minimal batterie de cuisine. However, less is peace. More is constant turmoil about STUFF for me. And there will be no nails in my wals or floors, which are immaculate cedar logs and many-colored "common maple."
Simplicity is my aim . Your slow designing of a perfect house to be more complex is impressive -- you have been patient since 2007. That's such a good way to do it.
I have a Mac -- no pictures possible.
Beatrice Green

Share |

Last edited by bwogreen; Jul 22nd, 08 at 5:46 am.. Reason: wrong icon
Old Jul 22nd, 08, 12:50 pm  
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 85,031
Gallery: 49
Doorstyle: Adel Birch (kitchen); Applad White (office); Liljestad??(wallbed)

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Mentor  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 4

I was in Estonia (& St. Petersburg) in about '94/95, and very impressed. My bro lived in Russia for 12 yrs, so my experience w /the Baltic labor force is mostly filtered thru him.

"Serious Ikeafan"... Hm... well, since IKEA opened up in East Palo Alto , and I can go there pretty much anytime I want, I've become used to thinking of it as a "source for raw (sic) materials". My best hack is a 'recycling' center made completely from parts from the As-Is section (and some hinges from HD across the st). I'll be making a bench-seat cushion for my girlfriend covered w/IKEA sheets.

MY "slow designing of a perfect house" is more related to "We STILL need to get the roof done; fix(ed) hole in bedroom ceiling (see previous ;^); fix sagging ceiling in family room; putting Slatwall all over the garage; hands-n-knees topcoat and crack-filling of the dining room floor; Paint; yardwork.... You know, all that stuff you need to do when you've been a house for 8 yrs.

Un-stuffing one's life is something I'm attempting. A careful re-design of the kitchen (no moving walls or water pipes) means - perhaps - I can get objects off the counters and unclutter the workspace. Maybe approach the wall oven from the *front* instead of slightly sideways... And get rid of the electric-coil stove. Ahhh... so nice to dream.

And my patience is really more related to "kitchen is 'working', other things are -not- 'working'. Fix the 'not' parts first."

I applaud you for maintaining the integrity of your cedar and maple floors. Is this a new or old house? Does your prow-shaped kitchen have a stunning view over something?

(I'm debating whether to put my cabs on legs, or use plinth. I'd *like* legs, but it will mean serious retraining myself not to kick bits that fall on the floor while I'm chopping under the cabinet so I don't step on them w/my bare feet. I'd really like to use cork flooring for kitchen/family room.)
(yes... I do sweep afterward. Usually. ;^)

Macs rock. I'm hoping I'll get a macbook someday soon.

Share |
RubrikGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 08, 2:10 pm  
IKEA FAN

Dear RubrikGreen

Briefly,
I had to drive 200 miles to my Ikea store. Lucky you.
If you have a nice floor surface, legs are really nice -- because you
can see the floor (and any food kicked under) and be motivated to
keep it clean.
This is new construction, a log cabin in Vermont woods. My only "new
house" in 63 years, so I cherish every cell of wood.
The prow hangs over a ledge and -- yes, through a screen of trees, a
view. In winter it is very grand. The site was very difficult -- the
house stands on tall piers on the downhill side.
As for stuff -- I have been living with 2 burners and no oven, only an
outdoor grill, for two years of summer. It works. Be not afraid of
letting go the conventional equipment! We're brainwashed into
thinking we need it. We need very little. They need us to buy. Good luck
with your future kitchen. Beatrice Green

Share |

Comment

Tags
l-shaped