LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Jul 6th, 06, 1:42 pm   #1
seaweed
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
All,

This is my first post to the site... I wish I had found it earlier! Fantastic site!

So about a month ago I began designing my kitchen. Once I finalized the layout I went and purchased the kitchen in Hallarum Brown, knowing nothing of the new Nexus Brown-Black. Then on the 2nd of July I began putting my handles on the doors and ran out about half of the handles so I went to IKEA to pick up more handles to find the new NEXUS Brown-Black... which I fell in love with immediately... now my problem is that I cant return the doors I have already put handles on, about $350 worth of doors and drawer fronts, but I do still have many that I can return.

So mightly IKEA fans, what do you recommend? The reason I like the NEXUS much more is that it matches my living room perfectly... I also like the feel of the grain more, but I do like the split up look on the Hallarum... My theme for the kitchen is modern with stainless steel appliances, so both colors go well... so I can return the remaining Hallarum cabinet fronts and re-buy all NEXUS brown-black, or i can just keep the Hallarum...

In terms of resale value, do people frown on black in the kitchen? just trying to keep the resale in mind, after all I dont mind losing the $350 now, but I don't want to hurt the resale value either...

I'm not expecting anyone to make a decision for me, just give me some positives negatives of doing either...

Thanks all!

Share |

seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Jul 6th, 06, 6:18 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 90
I don't see either as more "resale friendly" than the other, although I personally like the Nexus better. I really like Hallarum too though. Don't live your life thinking about resale value. I've been house shopping for my little brother, and it's a shame when you see houses where no one ever decorated because they were worried about resale. As long as you aren't doing anything really crazy (he's buying the house with sky blue tile and a pink bathtub), you won't be hurting resale that much anyway. People are looking at floorplans way more than cabinet doors.

You might try putting your already drilled doors on ebay or craig'slist to see if you can sell them. You won't get the whole $350 for them, but you might get something. I know someone on this board bought some tall Hallarum (I think) cabinets on Craig's List, so it's not unheard of.

Share |
chabuchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 06, 6:47 am  
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Baltimore
Doorstyle: Nexus BB or a new dark color

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 1

I wish I could help you but I like both too. It sounds like you like the Nexus better - so go for it. I agree, unless you are planning on selling right away, get what you want. I am waiting to see the new Black Brown in our IKEA before deciding. We still have lots of time since we are building new and don't even have permits yet.

The only reason I may stick with Hallarum is because I wonder if too much dark furniture/cabinets will be overwhelming.

Liz

Share |
Old Jul 7th, 06, 3:25 pm  
IKEA FAN

Craigslist/Ebay is definitely an option for getting rid of my Hallarum faces...

It's a difficult decision yes... and Liz, I actually have the same concern about having too much dark furniture as well, although Hallarum is pretty dark in itself...

*pulls his hair out*. .... ..

Share |
Old Jul 7th, 06, 3:28 pm  
IKEA holic

iKarma: 90
I think that if your furniture is as dark as the Black/Brown, then that's the way to go. I don't mind mixing woods at all, but I'm having trouble picturing the Black/Brown furniture near a Hallarum kitchen.

Share |
chabuchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 06, 3:35 pm  
IKEA FAN

*nods* yes I was thinking the same thing... Even if i used black countertops I dont think it would be enough to merge the two spaces... I think I'll go with the Nexus... its a 60-40 kind of thing ;-)

Share |
Old Jul 29th, 06, 4:03 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 937
Gallery: 15
Doorstyle: Nexus BB...and nothing has gone wrong with that plan...
I had almost the same thing happen to me! I finally settled on and ordered the Hallarum, which is nice, but not quite what I envisioned...then got home and was looking on the web page and there was the Nexus Brown Black, that I had been wanting for the last 1 1/2 yrs!

I couldn't figure out why Ikea would have that colour in every other department than kitchen.

I do like the Hallarum, and everyone I have showed it to likes it, but was not quite what I wanted in terms of flow as I have a fairly open plan. The Brown Black and the Hallarum actually do go very well together (My Ikea even has a display kitchen of Hallarum with two of the big Brown Black mirrors in the display and it looks good). My problem is that I am putting in a beam which is yet another wood, and I don't like too many different woods together.

Today I went and did the exchange, yeah! I took pictures of the Nexus Brown Black display kitchen, which anyone who wants to can go look at here http://mywackyworld.com/apartment/ki...an/Kitchen.htm

Good luck with your kitchen

Share |
lucrezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 06, 6:31 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 15,123
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: USA-Chicago:Schaumburg
Doorstyle: Nexus BB in bathroom

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 3

That pic of the Hallarum display has got me worried about getting doors that look the same. It looks so "patchy" in that picture. I want them to look the same.

Share |
laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 06, 3:25 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 937
Gallery: 15
Doorstyle: Nexus BB...and nothing has gone wrong with that plan...
I don't find the doors look patchy in reality. In fact what I like most about the doors on the Hallarum is that the veneer is cut so the grain runs both horizontal and vertical. In my picture that might look patchy, but I think that has more to do with the lighting and the flash and how it hits certain areas. There are better pictures if tha Hallarum on Ikea's website.

Share |
lucrezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 06, 10:40 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 190
Gallery: 7
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Here is a picture from the display at the Twin Cities Ikea. After seeing this, we switched to the Hallarum. Doors and cabinets are scheduled to be delivered on Monday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hallarum.jpg (47.2 KB, 410 views)

Share |
Shadowkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment