No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Nov 2nd, 08, 3:14 am   #1
PoorOwner
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 2,954
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
correct distance between counter and upper cabs

The local ikea pretty much leave cover panels at about 42" and then run a light rail strip on the fronts of the wall cabinets

Distance between counter and the bottom of the the light rail is about 15.5" and then the actual cabinet bottom is at 18". So that's the 18" backsplash fairly standard right?

But I think the opening should be 18" minimum and the backsplash a bit more? I think they set it this low to let most customers reach and open it. But at that height you couldn't put a kitchen aid standup mixer slide under the light rail.

How have you guys installed yours?

Share |

PoorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 2nd, 08, 7:34 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 1,396
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:North York
Doorstyle: Akurum
Re: correct distance between counter and upper cabs

I'm working on our kitchen now but from previous builds we've always left a total clearance of 18 - 20"

Share |
Van G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 08, 10:12 am  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

54" from the floor, 18" from the countertop.

Kitchen Planning Guidelines with Access Standards

You can find lots of resources immediately by using google and the search functionality on this site without having to wait for a reply.

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 08, 1:26 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 2,954
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto

But is it preferred to have 18" to the deco strip (light rail) or would that be 18" to the bottom of the cabinet like the ikea show room with a actual opening clearance of 15"?

Share |
PoorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 08, 1:59 pm  

iKarma: 12,799
Gallery: 22
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Burlington
Doorstyle: Adel White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
54" from the floor, 18" from the counter top.

You can find lots of resources immediately by using google and the search functionality on this site without having to wait for a reply.

As Kelly stated if you click here:

All the information you will ever need in planning your kitchen can be found there and searching through this forum.

Just do a search for backsplash height or similar searches.

It really depends on how much space you have depending on ceiling height and if using 30 or 39 upper cab's -

Share |

Comment