No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Nov 2nd, 08, 6:39 pm   #1
TinaB
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Burbank
Cabinet over Microwave

Could someone please tell me what I've done wrong? We just installed our Akurum /Adel cabinets with a 17 3/4" high X 30" wide cabinet over the cooktop. It seems as if the cabinet will be about 4 inches too high (long?) for my microwave . Did we install the wrong cabinet? We've already cut the hole for the vent but I guess it's not too late to go buy another cabinet. Or do we use trim on the bottom? Thanks for any advice.

Share |

TinaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Nov 2nd, 08, 7:00 pm  
AKA: DulcineaK
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 120,801
Gallery: 110
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Rubrik Turq, Fagerland, Tida BB and more!

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Re: Cabinet over Microwave

what do you mean it's too high? i'm assuming we're talking about an otr microHood? do you have gas or electric range? cause if it's a gas you need 24" between the grates of the range and the bottom of the fan unit...

Share |
Kayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 08, 7:44 pm  
IKEA FAN

Yes, I'm talking about an otr microhood. It will be over an induction cooktop. What I mean by too high is that if I install the micro under the fan cabinet, the cabinets on either side will hang 4'' below the microwave. When I look at Gallery pics, it seems as if there is a taller fan cabinet so the micro isn't mounted so high and ends flush with the cabinets on either side? Or am I making an issue out of a nonissue? Or an I crazy? (at this point, a strong possibility!) Thank you for answering.

Share |
Old Nov 2nd, 08, 9:46 pm  
Installer

iKarma: 18,053
Gallery: 51
Doorstyle: Kalsebo, Arlig Beech
I've been blogged!

What is the size (height) of the adjacent wall cabinets? If they are 39" high then the cabinet over the microwave should be 24" high and the end result is something like the attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0909-.JPG (44.3 KB, 161 views)

Share |
Old Nov 2nd, 08, 10:11 pm  
IKEA FAN

Yes, the adjacent cabinets are 39" high. Is there a 24" X 30" akurum cabinet? I have the 17 3/4" one and didn't see another option. Is there another solution (like trim?) Your picture is exactly what I thought I was getting. Again, I really appreciate your advice.

Share |
Old Nov 2nd, 08, 10:24 pm  
Moderator; IKEA Chuck
GOLD Directory Member

iKarma: 216,986
Gallery: 6
Doorstyle: The late, great Kvadrat Beech

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 13

I've been blogged!

You want the 30w x24h" cabinet, which is a standard IKEA cabinet. Make sure your co-worker understands you want that cabinet and NOT the 24w x 30h" - that latter piece will NOT work over your microwave.

Share |
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 08, 10:31 pm  
IKEA FAN

Thank you, Chuck. I don't know why the Ikea planner didn't catch this, but I'll call Ikea tomorrow and see if they can ship me a 30 wide and 24 high. This site has been such a big help.

Share |
Old Nov 11th, 08, 11:48 am  
BFE
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Salt Lake City:Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DulcineaK View Post
what do you mean it's too high? i'm assuming we're talking about an otr microHood? do you have gas or electric range? cause if it's a gas you need 24" between the grates of the range and the bottom of the fan unit...
Hi - I'm new to the forum. My wife and I are planning our kitchen now and are also wondering what size cabinet and how much clearance to give between the microwave and stove top. I'm curious DulcineaK - where did you get that number - 24" between gas range and micro fan unit? I've been looking for this clearance and I don't see a consensus. I've looked up a few microwave specs and I don't see any of them requiring 24" clearance.

We want to provide the most clearance without putting the microwave too high to use. The wall cabinets are 39 1/4, and I plan on having a counter to wall cabinet clearance of 18". I would like to have the cabinet over the microwave line up with the height of the adjacent wall cabinets, but I don't see how I can accomplish this. A 24" cabinet above micro would put the microwave too close to the range surface, and the next size cabinet is 18". It seems like otr microwaves are approx 16.5" high. So to maintain 18" clearance above stove AND have the cabinets line up at the top, I would need a (39.25" - 16/5") 22.75" inch cabinet.

Share |
BFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 08, 12:15 pm  
IKEA FAN

We are going with the 18" cabinet and I'm hoping it will look okay and the mw will not be too high for me. We will be installing this next weekend and I can send you pictures if you like.

Share |
Old Nov 11th, 08, 12:29 pm  
BFE
IKEA FAN

My IKEA: USA-Salt Lake City:Draper

thanks, i would like to see a pic of how it turns out. I think we have to order today to take advantage of some sale, and we are also going with the 18".

I've been looking through the galleries , and I see all scenarios - microwave bottom lined up with wall cabinets; microwave bottom higher than the adjacent wall cabinets; cabinet above microwave lining up perfectly with adjacent cabinets; and cabinet above microwave requiring a trim piece to fill in gap above or below the cabinet.

I'm thinking with the 18" cabinet you have some flexibility. You can put the microwave where you want and then use a trim piece if neccesary.

Share |
BFE is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment