Old Feb 10th, 09, 8:59 pm   #1
plainjane
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 4,546
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Coquitlam
Doorstyle: undecided
Giada's kitchen - IKEA style

I seldom watch TV these days, except this morning while sitting in the dentist chair - for 2.5 hours... and I saw a kitchen that could work for us (well if we could imitate it)...
If you have seen the show (Giada at home), it has brown base cabinets (I'm thinking Nexus Yellow Brown) and white uppers : what IKEA cabinets have a similar effect? how can a upper cabinet "sit" on the counter? if not tall enough, can two wall cabinets be stacked?
If I have her kitchen maybe I can cook great italian food too..

Share |

plainjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Feb 11th, 09, 8:54 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
Re: Giada's kitchen - IKEA style

LOL I don't think the kitchen will help you be a better cook, necessarily, but it could certainly make you want to be in the kitchen more!

Abstrakt White glass doors would be almost perfect. Adel White glass doors aren't frosted, they are kind of ribbed, but the Avsikt doors that are frosted have an aluminum frame. You could probably frost the Adel glass though, with a frosting spray or liner, or you could paint the Fagerland doors. The base cabinets would be Nexus YB but the grain goes horizontal. For a vertical grain, I'd recommend Adel MB which is shaker style but could work.

The handles are Lansas, no doubt. And the countertop is marble, rather thick, with no overhang. You would probably be catching your clothes on the points of the door handles all the time!

The wood countertop (or giant cutting board) looks to be walnut? And she's got a nice raised shelf above the backsplash window also made of marble.

The deep tall cabinet to the left and right of the sink area would be tricky, but you could kind of fake it with a tall deep pantry cabinet with frosted glass doors above. The marble countertop doesn't really show except for the front edge, so you could probably do without two separate cabinets.

There are a few things about that kitchen that really contribute to the modern warm look. The backsplash tile, a frosted glass in thin horizontals; the backsplash windows; and of course, the beach outside!

I believe her kitchen was just featured in Architectural Digest recently.

Here's a link to the Set List for the other accessories if you're interested. I found it when I was looking for the three-tier fruit basket she's got in the corner!

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 09, 6:55 pm  
IKEA FAN

Wow, you sure know how to "see" what is in the kitchen. My untrained eye just saw a "nice space" but I could not tell you why. On the other hand you know what makes it work, you recognized the details that add up.
I've been playing with the planner and it never occured to me to put different colour doors on a tall cabinet... (because you can't in the planner)

Funny when I googled "Giada Kitchen IKEA" I found someone making a comment that the kitchen looked like it was an IKEA kitchen, like it was a bad thing... (I suspect it was designed by an italian!)

Do you think that using that kind of look (mixing cabinet colours) is just a trend that will pass? Somehow I thought having Adel brown at the bottom and Adel white at the top would not work... but I am not very good at visualizing, until I see it done. How alike should the 2 models of doors be? or how different...

P.S. I checked Architecture Digest but the kitchen they show is different from the one in the TV show
http://www.architecturaldigest.com/h...deshow?slide=5
"nice but different"...

Share |

Last edited by plainjane; Feb 11th, 09 at 7:19 pm..
Old Feb 11th, 09, 8:53 pm  

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!

Well, I've been designing kitchens for a while now, so I see all the elements because of that! What is really important is that there is something about that space that spoke to you, and to get it right you need to look at the layers that comprise the total vibe. Glad I could help!

I think you could do Adel MD and Adel White with glass doors...I don't think the solid doors would work quite as well. But I think the Ab White with Nexus YB will be great.

One of the really very nice thing about IKEA cabinetry is that you can totally change out the doors in a (literal) snap...they are all interchangable! We've kicked around the idea of a "summer" kitchen and a "winter" kitchen a bit before

As for the trend, I don't really care much about them. I always advise that people do what they like and what speaks to them and makes them happy...trends will always come and go! Get what you love.

As for the looking-down-the-nose issue about IKEA, well, let's just say that there is a certain segment of society that has a vested interest in using overpriced European stuff, just because it is overpriced European stuff, and therefore anything that is not overpriced European stuff is somehow inferior. I notice, however, that very often designers choose IKEA for their own homes, so that says a lot to me about the value of IKEA! Smart value is always in fashion, don't you think?!

It was Giada's actual kitchen, in her real house, that was in AD. Not the set kitchen...sorry to confuse!

Share |

Old Feb 12th, 09, 12:41 pm  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 2,954
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto

I don't have food network and have never seen that show, but I am curious if they do use actual Ikea cabinets on the show or are we just discussing the parts to simulate the look on the show.

( Sorry don't have anything helpful to add.. )

Share |
PoorOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 09, 3:38 pm  

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!

I don't know what they use on the show...we're just talking about how to use IKEA cabinets to replicate the same look.

Share |

Old Feb 12th, 09, 4:12 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 158
Gallery: 2
My IKEA: Canada-Vancouver:Richmond

I've done this style kitchen(nexus yb and abstrakt uppers).. I hadn't seen Giada's before, but i just looked it up and i even did the backsplash window!
My question.. i need a backsplash, and i was thinking of going with bianco carrera marble in 3x8 size.. do you think that will fit in with the style? Should i also do some interstyle glass ? I'll post pics if i can find one. Actually, rate my space link..Contemporary small Kitchen - Kitchen Designs - Decorating Ideas - Rate My Space
I need to lighten it up, it's too dark. (although those pics were taken at night, it's not that dark at all)

Share |
sdunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 09, 6:16 pm  
IKEA FAN

Even if you don't have Food Network (or a television!) you can see episodes:
Giada at Home : Food Network

sdunbar, thanks for the photos, another great application of nexus YB. In the kitchen set, they have used glass doors instead. And the backsplash is very nice too.

Share |

Comment