Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Sep 13th, 06, 1:07 am   #1
lockburn
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 240
Gallery: 0
My kitchen design is currently using 39" tall wall cabinets.

What height cabinet should I use above my range (I have a microwave with a range fan).

The microwave is approximately 16 1/2 inches tall.

So, if I use a 30x24 cabinet, the microwave will be a little lower than the bottom of the cabinets.

I can also use a 30x18 cabinet, which would give another 6 inches above the countertop.

Any opinions?

Thanks!
-Warren

Share |

lockburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Sep 13th, 06, 8:08 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Depends on the code in your location, but the norm is that aflammable surface must be 30" over a cooktop, or 24" over a non-flammable surface. Though your microwave may have different requirements.

Share |
iamiwz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 06, 8:46 am  
IKEAFans...we put the fun in functional!

iKarma: 29,790
Gallery: 148
My IKEA: USA-Phoenix:Tempe
Doorstyle: Nexus Birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 10

I've been blogged!
You need to check what the microwave manual says for optimum height. Too high and the fan won't be effective, too low and the fan will be going on constantly to prevent heat damage to the bottom of the micro.

I have a 24" cabinet with my OTR micro beneath.

Share |

Life is too short to live with bad design.

Planning a new IKEA kitchen? Click here: Getting Started
DesignDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 06, 8:58 am  

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 

I've been blogged!
lockburn, you said
Quote:
or 24" over a non-flammable surface.
do you mean there has to be clearance of 24 inches under an OTC microwave? Because the usual backsplash area is around 18 inches, and most microwaves need no clearance at all underneath, since they sit on the counter. Can you clarify?

Share |

Old Sep 13th, 06, 10:45 am  
IKEA FAN

evaperconti wrote:
Quote:
lockburn, you said
Quote:
or 24" over a non-flammable surface.
do you mean there has to be clearance of 24 inches under an OTC microwave? Because the usual backsplash area is around 18 inches, and most microwaves need no clearance at all underneath, since they sit on the counter. Can you clarify?
24" of clearance between the cooktop and whatever non-flammable surface above it, according to the regulations here. That could be a hood or microwave. If you just have a cabinet or shelf or something, it needs to be 30". Most hoods sit around 30" above for the maximum effectiveness of the fans.

Share |
iamiwz82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 06, 4:43 pm  

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!
OK, I got it. The way I think, it would be 24 inches UNDER a non-flammable surface for a cooktop. Somehow I got the idea the microwave was related in some way to that spec LOL I just have an odd way of thinking sometimes.

Share |

Old Sep 14th, 06, 9:41 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 190
Gallery: 7
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
I did the same thing and it almost tanked my kitchen design. When my contractor told me there had to be 30" above my cooktop before the cabinet -- I thought he meant to the bottom of the microwave. I had a terrible time trying to figure where else to put it before he straightened me out and told me it could still go over the stove.

Share |
Shadowkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 06, 5:35 pm  
IKEA FAN

I am in the midst of micro hood height angst! Was about to start a new thread but hopefully people are still reading this one...

I also have the 39" wall cabinets and a micro hood that is almost 17" high. With a 24" high cabinet above it, it wouldhang 2" below the adjoining cabinets- and be approx. 16" above the stovetop (I'm hanging my cabs a bit higher than is recommended).

That's what I have in process at the moment - however I'm now worried that a) the micro will be too close to the stove (it passes code, I'm just worried on my own account) and b) it will look weird hanging lower than the cabinets next to it.

BUT - if I pop over to my nearest Ikea (45 min. drive) and buy the 18" cabinet, that would make the bottom edge of the micro hang 4"ABOVE the bottom edge of the adjoining cabinets, and make it 22" above the stovetop. Which seems too high for the kids to reach and also I wonder how well the vents will pull (not that they ever seem to do much of anything anyway - I still have to leap onto the nearest stool and swipe the bleeping smoke alarm down from the ceiling everytime I use the broiler).

My usually patient family members are all avoiding me. Your opinions are desperately requested!!!

Oh, and Iwould love to seepictures of a 39" cabinet installation with a micro hood!

Lucy

Share |
LIannotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 06, 6:06 pm  
Installer

iKarma: 18,053
Gallery: 51
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:Emeryville
Doorstyle: Kalsebo, Arlig Beech
I've been blogged!
Here's a picture of my (almost) finished kitchen, with 39"wall cabinets and a 24" cabinet above the microwave:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1162-.JPG (36.4 KB, 648 views)

Share |
Old Sep 18th, 06, 6:13 pm  

LBG Adoptions

I've been blogged!
Lianotti, my cabs are 39" and although I don't have adjoining cabinets around my range because I used curved corner units, you can see that the 24" with the microwave lines up fine with the wall cabinet on the other side of the sink.

Share |

Comment

Tags
ikea kitchen planner , kitchen planner , kitchen planning