Go Back   IKEA FANS > Plan and Design > Kitchen Planning
Register Blogs Forum/Blog Search Mark Forums Read

Comment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Corner sink, not centered on the window, faux paux or not?
All Images by leer34 in this Group

Finished

Corner sink, not centered on the window, faux paux or not?
Image 1
(0 notes)
Corner sink, not centered on the window, faux paux or not? by leer34
Click the plus button to add a note to any image on this page. Then, discuss the highlighted area in the thread below
NEW! Add YOUR notes to leer34's image!
Click the "+" button to add a note.
Loading tags ...
Add Note to Image
Add Note
Posted By leer34   |   Visit leer34's Gallery   |   Original image in the Kitchen Planning Gallery

Old Apr 9th, 09, 9:02 am   #1
leer34
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 5,580
Gallery: 5
My IKEA: USA-Charlotte
Doorstyle: Adel White
IKEA Kitchen Photo: Corner sink, not centered on the window, faux paux or not?

Image Title: Corner sink, not centered on the window, faux paux or not?
Description: I'm in the very beginning stages of design for my kitchen. It's an L shape and right now I only have 2 base cabinets. A sink base and a 6 inch drawer unit. The sink base is the short end of the L, and then I have the dishwasher, stove, 6 inch drawer, fridge and washer.

I keep running into road blocks becuase of my kitchen window. to center the sink base really seems to be limiting everything. I noticed the corner sink on the ikea site and got to wondering about maybe trying to do a corner base cabinet and sink, but this means it wouldn't be centered under the window. how big of a deal is this? Would the normal buyer come in take one look and think it's ridiculous? I'd be basically moving the sink over two feet so you can still look out the window.

Share |

leer34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Apr 9th, 09, 10:22 am  
bgs
IKEAFANS Community Mentor

iKarma: 71,431
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-New York:Hicksville
Doorstyle: Adel birch

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 2

Re: IKEA Kitchen Photo: Corner sink, not centered on the window, faux paux or not?

Hi, welcome to IkeaFans. My short answer to your question is: it would not bother me to see the sink off center - especially if it allowed the kitchen to be more functional. If you want to post a plan or the dimensions of your space we'd be happy to play around with it with you.

Share |
bgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 09, 3:22 pm  

iKarma: 156,240
Gallery: 21
My IKEA: USA-San Francisco:East Palo Alto
Doorstyle: stat white

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!
Re: IKEA Kitchen Photo: Corner sink, not centered on the window, faux paux or not?

If you have a huge kitchen and can afford it, symmetry is great. If you have a tiny kitchen like yours, I'll take function any day!

I would reduce the size of the sink cabinet to 24" and make it fit wherever necessary to gain more storage. I'd consider an 18" or no dishwasher (heresy, I know, but something we live with here for various reasons). Together, these reductions could buy you a 37" lazy susan corner base, where you could store a HUGE amount of stuff! I agree, post your plan and let us see what you've got. Also, is there a wall you could knock down? another room where you could add storage?

Share |
NBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 09, 3:27 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,808
Gallery: 77
My IKEA: USA-New York:Brooklyn
Doorstyle: Stat White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor 
Total Awards: 6

Not faux pas at all. Choose function and you will never notice.

Share |
madp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 09, 9:51 am  

iKarma: 12,819
Gallery: 22
My IKEA: Canada-Toronto:Burlington
Doorstyle: Adel White

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Mentor  IKEAFANS Builder ($5-$49 Donation) 
Total Awards: 9

I've been blogged!

As a buyer I would notice the lack of storage rather than the sink not being under the window.

When dealing with a smaller space you have to pick function over symmetry.

storage and counter space are my #1 requirements.

Share |
Old Apr 10th, 09, 10:04 am  
IKEA FANS fan!

iKarma: 41,994
Gallery: 174
My IKEA: USA-Minneapolis:Twin Cities
Doorstyle: Nexus Yellow Brown

LBG Adoptions
IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation) 
Total Awards: 12

I've been blogged!

I agree with my cohort here- there are many things more important and noticable than this. Form follows function, right? There are lots of things you can do to improve both with a new kitchen, and it's important to pay attention to the little details, like where outlets are placed, the vertical and horizontal lines in your space, and how you group cabinets together. By really examining both how a space functions AND what it looks like at the macro level, you'll get a good understanding of what it will feel like to live in and with.

It's amazing what we humans do not notice. Backsplashes are my favorite item that we tend to take for granted. Most people don't notice that there is no backsplash in a lot of kitchens. But when it comes time to do our own, the lack of one sticks out. Because we're really really looking. If you can get real estate listings in your area online, take a look at the kitchens in the houses in your (or even higher) price ranges. This is a great way to see what kitchens really look like- you'll be amazed at the variety, and how few are really showroom. And for some, you'll be amazed at how they all look alike. What continuously amazes me is how even new construction homes- high end homes- have surprisingly small square feet compared to the rest of the 6,000+ house- and how poorly laid out they are!

I guess you can have something better than a $10M home- a functional kitchen!

Share |
kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 09, 12:32 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 370
Gallery: 0
My IKEA: USA-Detroit:Canton
Doorstyle: Nexus Brown Black

In looking at your picture, it appears there is a closet -behind the sliding lovered doors - so I wonder if there could be any room found there.

On the subject of the sink in your cozy space. I agree, you should consider function over the conventional notion that a sink must be under a window. Moreover, you might want to downsize the size of your appliances.

A sink bowl sink, a 24 inch range, an 18 inch dishwasher and a tall skinny fridge will buy you a enough room to install a pull out pantry.

go to www.compactappliance.com like their name implies, they specialize in small-size appliances.

Share |
MichAgain is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment