No Gallery image is associated with this thread

Old Oct 19th, 06, 11:57 am   #1
kate1234
IKEA addict

iKarma: 1,721
Gallery: 10
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:College Park
Doorstyle: white painted tidaholm
I have a 15" base cabinet that I had planned to put a standard drawer on the top of, plus a rev-a-shelf trash pullout on the bottom. But then I started wondering, what would this give me that doing a standard ikea base pullout pantry? I guess I would end up with some spare drawers, but as Susan has demonstrated, one can always find a use for them (in my other 15" base pullout pantry). Should I just choose by price? Or would the two options be functionally/aesthetically different?

Share |

kate1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Register to remove these ads today!

Old Oct 19th, 06, 12:37 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 14,055
Gallery: 127
My IKEA: USA-Washington DC:Woodbridge
Doorstyle: STAT

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 8

Kate -- there was a thread here this morning that got around to asking about using a 15" cab as a trash pullout. I'll see if I can find it. The jist of it was that there's no reason why it won't work if you can get the right can -- and I don't think that's an unreasonably hard task. Several have done it and reported good results. Rev-a-shelf can be pretty pricey, and if you've got another 15" pull-out that could use the drawers, I'd say go for that option.

Here's the link to the other thread that has links to other threads. Ok, link not working for whatever reason. THis is the name of the thread: http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/forum1/3150.html It's on the first page of the Recent tab, and in the General IKEA Kitchen Questions forum. Scroll down to the bottom for the discussion of the pull-out/trash cabs.

Hope that helps!
Susan

edited to fix link -seems to be a problem, bear with me...

Share |
Old Oct 19th, 06, 1:27 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 50
Gallery: 0
There seems to be a problem with that link. I keep getting the 404 NOT FOUND message.

Thanks.

Share |
bonnford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 06, 4:36 pm  
IKEA FANS Ambassador

iKarma: 3,318
Gallery: 109
My IKEA: USA-Seattle:Renton
Doorstyle: Kitchen: Adel Med. Brown / Laundry: Applad White

LBG Adoptions
Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  Appreciation of an IKEAFAN  IKEAFANS Benefactor ($100+ Donation)  IKEAFANS Moderator 
Total Awards: 4

I've been blogged!
We have a 15" trash pullout with the rev-a-shelf unit (2 cans) and one upper drawer (stores saran wrap, trash bags, etc) There's pictures in my progress blog if you want ot see. We love it - I think however that the only thing it buys you is two cans with arms that hold them in place. I was nervous to not have that since we have 2 very smart dogs who like trashcans.

Share |
stacylu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 06, 6:58 pm  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 120
I just used an Ikea deep drawer unit (the kitchen rep gave me a drill template) to make a 15" trash pullout w / one drawer on top (the junk drawer). Here it is. Oddly enough, my old Rubbermaid yellow trash can (it MUST be at least 20 years old... it came w/ the house) was a perfect fit. I use one of IKEA's trash pails for recycling.

Share |
Katalase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 06, 2:04 am  
IKEA FANatic

iKarma: 700
Which base unit did you use. Was this a modification because it is exactly what I would like to do with my 15 but I didn't see this in the catalog.

Wendy

Share |
Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 06, 2:04 am  
IKEA FANatic

Share |
Old Oct 20th, 06, 9:00 am  
IKEA FAN

iKarma: 120
Wendy.

Itsan "IKEA approved" modification (the kitchen rep suggested it). It's just a 15" base carcass w / a short drawer on top and a 24" tall door on the bottom, but rather than attaching the door via hinges, it's attached to a standard 15" deep drawer tandem box. You need to drill the back of the door to take a drawer, but I got a template from the IKEA department and it was very easy (about 10 minutes). For whatever reason, the 12" deep drawers (the ones that fit the wall cabinets) come w/ plugs for the hinge holes which I didn't use in that cabinet, so I repurposed them to fit the hinge holes on the back of this door, BUT you really don't need them. It's definitely sturdy and easy to use.

BTW , the dogs can't get into this cabinet... they tried and then sulked. <G>

-Katherine

Share |
Katalase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20th, 06, 9:48 am  
IKEA FANatic

Thanks it will work perfectly. If you don't mind what are the dimensions of your yellow can.

Wendy

Share |
Old Oct 20th, 06, 10:26 am  
IKEA addict

iKarma: 4,125
My IKEA: USA-Los Angeles:Burbank
Doorstyle: Arlig. 2009: changing 1/2 to Nexus Brown
I've been blogged!
Katalase, Love the blue tape"handles" very unique. Thanks for the photos and tips. I am planning on doing the same thing in my reconfiguring of my kitchen. What counter top will you be using with your Adel doors?

Wendy, are you "trashing" your original idea of using a trash compactor?

Shouva

Share |
Shouva is offline   Reply With Quote

Comment